Traveling with a dog in Thailand

What's the best way to travel with a small dog in Thailand, other than a car.

Lets say, from Chiang Mai to Phuket.

Plane? Which airlines? Carry on? or in a cage in baggage?

Train? are you allowed to bring a dog on a train?

Bus?

Cheers.

For domestic travel, I would recommend air travel. All airlines, including budget airlines, will transport dogs in the cargo hold. Contact the airlines to get current prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Arjen said:

Once we had to bring a dog from Surat-Thani to Bangkok. We gave the dog, in its bench to the responsibe emloyee, and boarded our coach. After arrival in BKK the dog was still in Surat-Thani, waiting on the platform to be loaded on the train.....!!

<deleted> !!! Really.... :)

8 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Yep.... really. After discovering the dog was not on our train we went to a high ranking person at the station in BKK He made some phonecalls and informed us that the dog should be brought with "special services" The responsible person should be fired. I am not sure if the last had happened, but the dog arrived around 7 hours later. And not by train. Till today we have no idea how the dog got in BKK. And the dog arrived just in time as we needed to catch a flight to The Netherlands with it....

Arjen

Clowns! 

Of course you must inform them.

You book the cargo space at the same time as you book your tickets.

The difference is that YOU must deliver them to the cargo, not passenger, terminal.

We drop dogs off before going to check in.

Sometimes they get put on an earlier flight if it's a regular service, sometimes they arrive on the same flight.

I don't think we've ever had dogs delayed to a later flight.

Edited by Saraphee

1 hour ago, Saraphee said:

Of course you must inform them.

You book the cargo space at the same time as you book your tickets.

The difference is that YOU must deliver them to the cargo, not passenger, terminal.

We drop dogs off before going to check in.

Sometimes they get put on an earlier flight if it's a regular service, sometimes they arrive on the same flight.

I don't think we've ever had dogs delayed to a later flight.

Cool what airline?

About four years ago we took a dog with us by train, he travelled with us in 3rd class. That's fan class. We had to buy a ticket at the freight office in Bangkok. The thing with dogs is that their hair is supposed to damage the air conditioning, a nonsense with some breeds which don't lose hair at all. So you travel fan class.

It is, of course, extremely insensitive to take a dog other than as cargo.  Fellow passengers may be allergic to dog hair, or have a religious loathing or pathological fear of dogs.

3 hours ago, Arjen said:

We used an overnight train, and that was a sleeper. No dogs allowed. And I suppose still not.

Arjen.

Oh dear. Third class where there is no air conditioning, fan class. 

You can bring your dog with you when you travel in third class. The fee is between 90 and 150 baht depending on the size of the animal and your 4-legged companion has to be in a travel cage the entire time. Cages are not provided; you have to bring your own

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

It is, of course, extremely insensitive to take a dog other than as cargo.  Fellow passengers may be allergic to dog hair, or have a religious loathing or pathological fear of dogs.

Isn't.

5 minutes ago, cooked said:
2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Isn't.

Perhaps you'd care to explain why you think it's OK to cause people to have an allergic reaction because of your dog? Or profoundly to offend Moslems who are taught that dogs are unclean and should be killed? Or to terrify those who are morbidly afraid of dogs?

On 3/31/2018 at 3:22 PM, Arjen said:

And be aware that where ever you walk, all street dogs will see your dog as an intruder in their territory.

I try to take my dog everywhere I go, but it turns out that mostly he has to wait in my car.

That's the downside about travelling with or even owning a dog in Thailand, difficult to walk them because they will always be under attack from soi dogs, and hard to travel with them for similar reasons. Even if you do find hotels that accept dogs you still can't take them on the street.

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

Perhaps you'd care to explain why you think it's OK to cause people to have an allergic reaction because of your dog? Or profoundly to offend Moslems who are taught that dogs are unclean and should be killed? Or to terrify those who are morbidly afraid of dogs?

I was merely pointing out that you can take dogs legally on Thai trains.

I have never met anyone with an allergic reaction to dogs. Cats, yes. If there was a complaint, either the dog owner or the complainer would move.

I don't give a sod about superstitions.

I have in 50 years as a dog owner very rarely met someone with a morbid fear of dogs. Cats yes.

You just hate dogs and think that that's normal. Perhaps you'd care to explain why you are going off topic.

I wasn't expecting a discussion about allergies, religion or psychological problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arjen said:

There is no where written in the Koran that dogs are unclean and need to be killed... Why do you need to be terrible afraid for dogs, I think something is wrong with you in that case. Same as being scared for open spaces, corners, cars, water.

It's not written in the Koran, but it is in the Hadith:

"Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed" - Bukhari 4:540

"Allah's messenger ordered the killing of dogs" - Muslim 3814

There's more, but it's fairly repetitive.  Those are probably the most authoritative references. 

And this is nothing to do with my being "terrible (sic) afraid of dogs".  I have three of them, much loved - all rescued street dogs.  It's a matter of pure common courtesy and decency.  It is rude to impose one's pets upon others who find them unacceptable for whatever reason.  Any decent person would feel the same.

It's rather like farting.  I wouldn't want do it next to someone else in a plane or on a bus.  I have higher personal standards than that.  I don't want to offend others.  It's simply a matter of being polite.

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It's not written in the Koran, but it is in the Hadith:

"Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed" - Bukhari 4:540

"Allah's messenger ordered the killing of dogs" - Muslim 3814

There's more, but it's fairly repetitive.  Those are probably the most authoritative references. 

And this is nothing to do with my being "terrible (sic) afraid of dogs".  I have three of them, much loved - all rescued street dogs.  It's a matter of pure common courtesy and decency.  It is rude to impose one's pets upon others who find them unacceptable for whatever reason.  Any decent person would feel the same.

It's rather like farting.  I wouldn't want do it next to someone else in a plane or on a bus.  I have higher personal standards than that.  I don't want to offend others.  It's simply a matter of being polite.

It's good to know that we have a moral authority on Thaivisa that we can look up to.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It's a matter of pure common courtesy and decency.  It is rude to impose one's pets upon others who find them unacceptable for whatever reason.  Any decent person would feel the same.

I feel offended having to sit next to a grossly overweight person on a plane, pity they aren't decent enough to travel by a different means or lose weight. Or people who don't put their hand over their mouth when they cough. I could go on, but it's a long list. Life is tough.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arjen said:

This kind of persons are the main cause from many wars and terror attacks in the world.

I'm not sure that politeness and consideration of the feelings of others are the "main cause from many wars and terror attacks in the world".

Just now, Oxx said:

I'm not sure that politeness and consideration of the feelings of others are the "main cause from many wars and terror attacks in the world".

Trying to force others to adhere to your beliefs or policies might be considered lack of consideration.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Trying to force others to adhere to your beliefs or policies might be considered lack of consideration.

There's nothing I've written that is about forcing others.  It's simply a matter of common courtesy, respecting others' beliefs (however irrational they may be).

Some people, for whatever reason, are not happy to be around dogs.  Any decent, civilised human being would accept and respect that, and not impose their dog(s) on others when not wanted - particularly in the confined space of an aeroplane or train.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oxx said:

There's nothing I've written that is about forcing others.  It's simply a matter of common courtesy, respecting others' beliefs (however irrational they may be).

Some people, for whatever reason, are not happy to be around dogs.  Any decent, civilised human being would accept and respect that, and not impose their dog(s) on others when not wanted - particularly in the confined space of an aeroplane or train.

I was responding to your comment:

I'm not sure that politeness and consideration of the feelings of others are the "main cause from many wars and terror attacks in the world". I'm not happy about people who's arse takes up two seats on a plane, but I have to accept it.

Edited by giddyup