Lizards in home

Jack james

Just now, Jack james said:

Yes but there is getting to be too many!

How many is too many? Every home in Thailand has gekko's, we have half a dozen spread around but outside on the eaves we've got maybe twenty or so.

The more food there is for them to eat the more you're going to see them.

• Like 1

Agree with other posters, I am more than happy to have the Toktaws and the Jingjoks in the house, they keep the insects down. Only downside to the Toktaws is if they crap on your stuff - the big ones can really drop a mess.

Cats will kill them, a low powered BB gun will do the same. You can try turning off as many lights as you can at night which will stop the flying insects arriving and in turn will remove some of the lizards food supply.

Other than that, I really have no idea.

• Like 1

Hello,
The ones you see, very flat, running at full speed when you turn on or make noises, they are tarentes.
It is true that they are dirty, but they are very useful for ants, as for mosquitoes. And cute.
The eggs are round and very white and the newborns are almost transparent.

Do not kill them, nature takes care of them.

• Like 2

Geckos are easy to catch in the night. Simply point a strong flashlight to their head which confuses them and they don't move before it's too late.

Then again, you can have a bit fun with geckos.

- Draw a football field on the ceiling or on the wall

- Have 2 laser pointers. One for you, one for your friend

- Geckos follow the pointer light and you can make points by getting them into the goals

Reduce their food source, if you can keep the mozzies and creepy-crawlies out the geckos will stay out.

If you have a problem with them setting up home in cupboards and the like, moth-balls will encourage them to move on.

We used to have loads of the little jinjock chaps, until a tukgae moved in. He's getting very big and vocal, jinjock population well reduced.

Hey ! Hey ! Hey ! my experience
I found eggs, hatched, (still not hatched) in a cardboard box where I had pots of paint, turpentine where the smell was strong.
Also, I found eggs in a clothes drawer, where there is mothballs.
You have to let them live.

38 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Things a bit quiet up in your jungle Oilinki?

I need to befriend with a water monitor lizard to survive that burn :D

Watch a jingjok for a few minutes near a porch light. Those things eat like machines for hours.  I can't even imagine what it would be like without them.  My guess is you have a huge bug population if you are supplying a large amount of them.  I treat them with the utmost respect. Remember lights attract bugs. Bugs attract jingjoks. Skinks are even better because they like to eat roaches. 

There is a natural way.  It is an extract from a flower the geckos do not like the smell of. If I remember right it was 6 to ten "tea bags in the package. There also is a chemical one, works longer, sorry, but I do not remember the name of that one.

AntiGecko.png

• Like 1

I routinely use Mr Clean window cleaner. Jingjoks do not like it as it disrupts their ability to stick to walls and has ammonia.  Get a pump sprayer and spray it right on them. They will leave.  

I agree a few are fine but they crap on everything. Tokays are a big problem if they set up camp in your home.  They are loud, make a huge mess and when they get big they are down right mean.  Tokays are harder to eradicate.  

We have a few of those bronze coloured skinks (Sun Skink) that live under furniture on the floor. They do leave their craps lying around, but they eat any dying geckos that fall to the floor as well as cockroaches and insects etc.

10 hours ago, Parsve said:

There is a natural way.  It is an extract from a flower the geckos do not like the smell of. If I remember right it was 6 to ten "tea bags in the package. There also is a chemical one, works longer, sorry, but I do not remember the name of that one.

AntiGecko.png

Where can U get this from......thanks :thumbsup:

57 minutes ago, petermik said:

Where can U get this from......thanks :thumbsup:

I bought it in Jomtien I will remember, I do not remember the shop's name or where it was. The chemical I bought in Phitchit by a circumvention seller. On the image of the package, you can see a phone number or two, try to call and ask.

7 minutes ago, Parsve said:

I bought it in Jomtien I will remember, I do not remember the shop's name or where it was. The chemical I bought in Phitchit by a circumvention seller. On the image of the package, you can see a phone number or two, try to call and ask.

According to my thaiwife you can buy it on most of the markets for thai people, and that there are "pickup-sellers" to both this and the chemical one. But as I remember it we bought it in a shop. 

• Like 1