What can be taken on the plane

Have a long flight coming up with 2 kids, so want/need to take some snacks on the plane with us. Such as small packs noodles, granola bars, cashews, chocolate etc. I know security won't let liquids (ie: bottles of water) thru but unopened packs of the above is Ok?.. I believe the plane is fine, but getting thru the security checks?.

Thanks for help.

Have a long flight coming up with 2 kids, so want/need to take some snacks on the plane with us. Such as small packs noodles, granola bars, cashews, chocolate etc. I know security won't let liquids (ie: bottles of water) thru but unopened packs of the above is Ok?.. I believe the plane is fine, but getting thru the security checks?.
Thanks for help.

Once you've cleared security you can buy bottles of water. We took loads of small snacks and water to make our son's formula milk. No issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You should be ok with snacks, choccie etc, so long is it doesn't look gel-like.

That said, I had a Mars Bar pulled by security in India (Mumbai). "Gel" the man said (it was a little melted), I figured he needed it more than I did.

If your port of embaracation is is a country with safe drinking water from the taps, just take some empty plastic bottles and fill them up with water after the security cowboys...food would not be a problem and it would be wiser to give a quick call at your airport security before the trip....have a nice flight.

6 hours ago, anfh said:

Just buy what you need after going through security checks etc, might be a little more expensive but at least you wont have any problems etc.

Negative............... You can take all kinds of food on the plane that you can buy much cheaper at home.......... That was a rare case of the candy bar being taken but it is true that any food of the same consistency as toothpaste will not be allowed (dry chips, nuts and even dried fruits are OK) Apples and bananas are OK - Beef jerky is OK - just DON'T try to take those items into many countries......... 

I have a bit of past and very recent experience.......... I fly 100,000 miles a year for the past 20 years....... I'm up to date....... similar to the candy bar confiscation, I had an occasion in Peking, China..... where they liked my small 50ml whiskey bottles and confiscated them (probably for their own pleasure)....... I always carry 3 to 6 of the small 'airplane' whiskey bottles that I refill at home each trip. They are only 50ml and you can carry liquids (even toothpaste and gels) up to 100ml (3.2 fluid oz.) as long as it is kept in and don't overfill a quart-size zip-lock bag.......

I had nuts that were not in their original bag confiscated in Australia one time so be careful what you take there. In New Zealand they took away some fresh packed fish from Thailand. They asked were they fresh water 'farmed' fish or salt water fish.... Mine were ''''farmed fish' so I lost them but salt water fish would have been 'permitted'..........

Have a good trip and keep the kids happy.......

6 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

I don't know why you would want to take water on board.  They have it by the gallons on the plane.  They also have loads of snack food too.  Making a fuss about very little.

Obviously you have never travelled with kids. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Once you've cleared security you can buy bottles of water. We took loads of small snacks and water to make our son's formula milk. No issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No need to buy water at rip off airside prices. I take an empty water bottle through and fill it up at the drinking water points.

Anyway, the hosties will probably give you as much water as you want on the plane, if you ask.

I've never had a problem taking food through security. I put it in my carry on bag and they've never even opened it.

Only problem I ever had in LOS was when they took some sewing needles off me ( perhaps they thought I was going to needle someone to death ) and when they took one of those tiny travel toothpastes off me ( they don't even know their own rules on amount of liquid allowed ).

11 hours ago, geisha said:

If you are going going to Australia, declare all the food / snacks / you have on the form, otherwise, big trouble . No fruit allowed there, or grains. 

Same in NZ. It costs big if you don't declare any food at all and they catch you. Best not to take anything food related in. If I have any airplane snacks like the cheese and biscuits left when we land I leave them on the plane rather than risk it. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Same in NZ. It costs big if you don't declare any food at all and they catch you. Best not to take anything food related in. If I have any airplane snacks like the cheese and biscuits left when we land I leave them on the plane rather than risk it. 

Failure to disclose causes the problem, me thinks.    Ok to take but they may confiscate.

I would and have taken snacks on the plane.  Yes, they feed you, but there are the times in between meals.  I'd just not take anything iffy, or if I did, make sure it was consumed before landing.  I assume you want the snacks for the flight rather than your stay, so only take small amounts you'll finish in-flight and all is well.

Archived