Home Brewed Beer

sceadugenga

Hi guys,

I have a home brewing shop in Oz and I originally looked at supplying brewing stuff here in Thailand (I'm in Chiang Mai btw) but found out that brewing anything of any sort, even for your own consumption, required an excise licence. That said :o ...... I'd be happy to get you some stuff (yeasts, hop, wine making gear etc as Im heading back in five days to check on my business, vist friends etc then coming back here in March. My g/f has a business here as well, (Ticky Internet Cafe) If you want anything, or want my contact details, PM me.

Cheers Dave

Ever thought of Ginger Beer ?

& I dont mean the <deleted> the kids used to drink in Enid Blyton books.

Do a quick Google & it'll turn up a few recipe's.

Everything easily available in Thailand, fresh ginger, lemons (limes?) & sugar.

Alot of the recipe's dont even need yeast.

& it kicks yer arse.

Yep – it makes a good mixer for Sangsom and is available in cans from the Rimping but I really should try and make some myself. :D

Are you sure that you are talking about the one and same, "ginger beer & ginger ale" (which is available at Rimping) are not related.

Ginger ale has been used all over the world as a mixer with whisky but never heard of using ginger beer (still I'm a young man so I am learning all the time)

Not saying ginger beer is no good as a mixer just never heard of it.

And necessity is one of the elements in invention.

:D:D:o

Edited by john b good

& I dont mean the <deleted> the kids used to drink in Enid Blyton books.

Do a quick Google & it'll turn up a few recipe's.

Everything easily available in Thailand, fresh ginger, lemons (limes?) & sugar.

Alot of the recipe's dont even need yeast.

& it kicks yer arse.

Verrry verrry good idea Pond Life.

Yep – it makes a good mixer for Sangsom and is available in cans from the Rimping but I really should try and make some myself. :D

Are you sure that you are talking about the one and same, "ginger beer & ginger ale" (which is available at Rimping) are not related.

Ginger ale has been used all over the world as a mixer with whisky but never heard of using ginger beer (still I'm a young man so I am learning all the time)

I have used ginger ale in the past but ginger beer makes for a good mixer as well.........

I thought it was illegal to brew your own alchohol in Thailand, although I may be wrong.

If so, that would come as a terrible shock, to our local villagers. :o

Ever tried home-fermented pineapple-juice ? :D It is what you might call a bit of an aquired taste ! :D

I have used ginger ale in the past but ginger beer makes for a good mixer as well.........

I will have to give it a try :D

Very similar to the ginger recipe that I found on the net but they don't add boiling water.

http://www.vurt.co.uk/Articles/GingerBeer.html

Grated Ginger Sugar Bottle Lemon Dried Yeast

150ml 2 cups 5 litre 1/3 cup -80ml ½ tsp

I just use the water from my filter. This is very gingery - suggest that you use less ginger. After a couple of days I strain ginger beer into 1.25 ltr Pepsi plastic bottles. Leave space at the top of the bottle. Leave for a day or so then put them in the fridge.

Tip: When I decant into the smaller bottles I use a collander and muslin cloth (?) inside doubled up. It is the same cloth that the Thais' use for their sticky rice. I get the cloth at the market at Hangdong

I am still experimenting and will try out yours next. Trying to cut down on the sugar. Looking for some other natural subsistute for sweetness - perhaps honey.

Very refreshing drink.

Simple airlock: Buy some plastic tubing about 8mm drill cut a hole into the top of a lid (slightly smaller than the tube) Put the top of the tubing into cup of boiling water until soft then insert it into the cap about 1 - 2 cm depending on the size of the bottle. If it doesn't seal well I have used blu tack to make the seal - on the outside of the cap. When the bottle is filled put the other end of the tube into a container of water. After a while you should see it bubbling. Normally when you use a airlock you decant it into something else later. If you accidently leave it until it stops bubbling , about 2 weeks and a add bit of sugar to each bottle when you decant you may find it interesting.

Also have alook here

Ginger Beer Recipe » ABC Brisbane.htm

Perhaps we should start a new thread?

Enjoy

Edited by newcomer01

My wife has the CM agency for some 100% grape juice. Squeezed fresh, filtered and bottled. You MUST keep it refrigerated, otherwise the natural yeasts start a fermentation and you end up with an alcoholic beverage - Not too good for the children - however most customers seem to make this mistake on a regular basis! :o

150 Baht for 750ml if anybody is interested!

Heres a little recipe to get you started.

I've had good, bad & very strong results from this so experiment.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_images.../attach_add.png

Sounds really easy with idiot proof instructions down to and including opening the bottle over a sink :D

I'm off to get the ingredients - a bottle of Sangsom first :D

Thanks Pond life :o

Edited by SamSipEt

The last homebrew I made was a "Mead". It was the type with a little pinnaple juice added.

Only ingreadients were honey, water, pinnaple juice, yeast.

It was very tasty.

Mike

Sound good, recipe please.

Recipe for Mead in a day or two. I can't find my copy. Had to e-mail my brewing partner in the US.

Mike

I can't come up with the exact recipe that I used for Mead the last time but this is what I will try in a day or two.

Honey - Three bottles (3 liters?)

Sugar - 1 or 2 cups

Pinnaple - one (pealed, chopped and run thru the blender)

Yeast - one pack

Water

I will pour the honey, sugar, and pinnaple into one of those large plastic water bottles (They are about 20 liters I think)

Add water till about half full then add the yeast that has been reconstituted in one cup of warm water.

Mix until everything is disolved.

Add more water until the bottle is almost full and mix again.

I will make the airlock as described in another post by drilling a hole in the cap and squeezing in a length of plastic hose

the distal end of the hose will be immersed in a bottle of water so the fermentation gasses can escape but air cannot get back in.

There must be room in the 20 liter bottle for gasses to form at the top and escape out the hose. Never fill the 20 liter bottle completely or the gas will build up until the whole thing explodes!

After about a month (maybe as soon as two weeks the hose outlet will stop bubbling)

There should be some sediment on the bottom or maybe even floating in the 20 liter bottle.

Siphon the clear liquid into another water bottle then add 1/2 cup of sugar. Then mix well.

Siphon into any suitable bottle with a top you can seal tightly. (Water bottles or coke bottles etc)

Cap the bottles tightly and place them out of the way for at least two weeks. A month or two will be better. Keep the bottles upright since some sediment will form in the bottom of the bottles.

Chill in the fridge (bottles upright) then gently pour into glasses (keeping the sediment in the bottom of the bottle)

Drink and smile!

This is the basic procedure I have used for 30+ years to make beer and other beverages.

We really need a good wine yeast to make the best brew.

Maybe a beer yeast for the ginger beer that has been discussed.

I will try to get a batch of ginger beer started too. The internet recipes seem to vary greatly on ginger beer recipes.

In the US we always make 20 liter batches of everything.

I have missed brewing since I came to the LOS. Time to get started again.

I have also in the past run a still and made some very high power rum and whiskey.

Check out homedistiller.org.

For the guy with the homebrew store in OZ: Perhaps you could bring us some good yeast and some airlocks?

Maybe we should form a homebrew club?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi guys,

I'm back on Oz now at my home brew shop but I am putting together some stuff for when I come back to CM on the 27th. Particularly some wine yeasts, beer yeasts and also some turbo yeasts for spirit manufacture. If anyone wants me bring some stuff back for them PM and I will get back to you with cost etc. Yeah a brewing club sounds like the go Mike and btw I will throw a few airlocks in the suitcase for you and PM you when I get back.

Cheers,

Dave :o

When I lived on Guam we had a drink called tuba. It is made from the juice of the coconut flower. If you drink it fresh it is a refreshing nonalcoholic drink but if allowed to ferment can turn into a drink with some kick to it. You must attend to the tree everyday and collect the juice and replace the jar used to catch the juice with a clean jar. Also need to wrap a plastic bag over it to keep out the bugs.

here is a web site with an easy to make beer. i haven't tried it, but it sounds easy to make.

http://www.happymountain.net/beer%20recipe.html

as a side note, have you tried the local rice wine? not too bad. about 15 baht/liter

Thanks altman, the tricks finding the malt/hops/hops flavored malt though.

The "local rice wine" at 15 baht a liter is moonshine, comes in plastic bags and an adequate sufficiency of it will send you blind and burn holes in your liver. (if you see a white stick it's mine, I lost it in Chiang Mai last week.)