Hotel refusing to give back deposit if I check out early

cyril sneer

I paid for 1 months stay at a hotel and gave a 10k deposit

Today I tried to give them 24 hours notice that I would be checking out 3 days earlier than the full month

They've said I have to wait until the full month or they couldn't pay me.

Although this has f***ed up my plans it's lucky I haven't had to leave for an family emergency etc.

Is this normal practice for a hotel? It's very modern, newly built, and in a city centre

Did you pay for a Month or did you want to pay less because you leave three days early?  

If you payed for the month, when you leave should be of no consequence and you should complain to the appropriate agency. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

24 hours notice that you would be checking out 3 days early? Well that counts for nowt. It is your prerogative and I would assume most hotels would return the deposit but this being Thailand, well who knows. How many days room have you paid for over and above the deposit? When you check out just pay for the days you have stayed and let the deposit take care of the balance if they burr up call the cops.

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

10k Deposit? Hotel? Sounds strange, give more details

I paid 10k for the room for the full month + an additional 10k deposit (where electric/water bills will be deducted from

I thought they wouldn't mind as my room is already paid for and they could be use it for new guests

Normally in serviced apartments, you pay a deposit plus the full month's room rent in advance. Deposit in some of them is refunded to your bank account within 15 days after you leave (after deducting the water & electric bills). Something is still missing from what OP is telling us. 

1 minute ago, saakura said:

Normally in serviced apartments, you pay a deposit plus the full month's room rent in advance. Deposit in some of them is refunded to your bank account within 15 days after you leave (after deducting the water & electric bills). Something is still missing from what OP is telling us. 

What should be missing? They just make up some stuff to steal the deposit from him

3 minutes ago, saakura said:

i'm in a hotel that offers monthly rates, very few people are actually staying here monthly

they've said i'll get back my deposit on the exact date i've paid up to

i will stop using their restaurant now though, as i've had to cancel and rebook my flight

23 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

i'm in a hotel that offers monthly rates, very few people are actually staying here monthly

they've said i'll get back my deposit on the exact date i've paid up to

i will stop using their restaurant now though, as i've had to cancel and rebook my flight

Sounds a bit strange, watch out for those electricity rates. Please let us know how / if they try to rip you off and if they bring in a different member of staff to do it.

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Sounds a bit strange, watch out for those electricity rates. Please let us know how / if they try to rip you off and if they bring in a different member of staff to do it.

will do, I have a slight feeling this has something to do with it

this morning they spoke to me and gave me the option of transferring the deposit to my bank account on Thursday (day i've paid up to) after i've left but it's too late now and i've lost their trust anyway