Stop Press ! Stop Press Baht Rises

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank god I don't rely on my USD and I make baht as a teacher. But personally (and I may be very wrong) The ones who are hit are the ones looking at the 4m Baht payments and pensions etc. But to tourists it is still super cheap. Bringing over 1-2 thousand USD for a 3week vacation is not going to have a huge effect. I mean it's still much cheaper to come to Thailand than any European country for us Americans.

But yeah, I was hoping to buy land this year, I don't know if that is going to happen now...

I started coming here in 95. At that time the dollar was 25 baht. In 97 when the baht went to 50 to the dollar most of the tourist orientated places increased their prices even though their costs had not increased. Their reasoning was that it was still cheap for the tourist. If the dollar heads much further towards the 25 mark it will not be cheap here anymore and many people will decide to go elsewhere.

PANIC STATIONS AGAIN.

Don`t forget, just like stocks & shares, bank interest rates, exchange rates also fluctuate.

Wait until the rates go up again before selling your dollars and pounds.

10 years ago the rate went down to 36 baht = £1 and I believe at one time to 27 baht = £1.

Keep this in mind if thinking of residing in Thailand.

Consider if you could manage on only 40 baht = £1.

If you can`t afford to do this, than you shouldn`t be living in Thailand or even consider staying here in the future.

Bangkok Bank is showing 27.50 for AU$ as at 8.30 today for TT's.

Trouble is that it's Australia Day today so ANZ would probably not action a transfer until Monday and BKK Bank would receive it until Tuesday. Who knows what the rate will be then.

It really is a gamble at any time.

Looks like it is back to 36, and it was down about a 1.5 points

for about 12 hours:

Open High Low Close

25 Jan 07:45:00 35.81 35.81 35.8 35.8

25 Jan 08:15:00 35.79 35.79 35.79 35.79

25 Jan 09:15:00 34.16 34.16 34.16 34.16

25 Jan 10:45:00 34.15 34.15 34.15 34.15

25 Jan 11:00:00 34.15 34.15 34.05 34.05

25 Jan 11:30:00 34.15 34.15 34.15 34.15

25 Jan 11:45:00 34.1 34.1 34.1 34.1

25 Jan 12:45:00 34.15 34.15 34.15 34.15

25 Jan 15:15:00 34.15 34.15 34.15 34.15

25 Jan 16:30:00 34.1 34.1 34.1 34.1

25 Jan 17:15:00 34.13 34.13 34.13 34.13

25 Jan 17:30:00 35.83 35.83 35.83 35.83

26 Jan 00:45:00 35.87 35.87 35.87 35.87

26 Jan 01:00:00 35.89 35.91 35.89 35.89

This topic is now OUT OF DATE .

No longer factual

Events have overtaken it. [if it were allowed would delete !!]

Whate events have overtaken it? Seems to still be at 34 to me?

Please see this mornings posting futher down in the list headed .."Great news for all of us."

BOT entered the market at 8.pm today and brought the rate back to around 36. Its a shame cannot delete this out of date posting

33.90 or back again to 36 is not the big question...the main thing is that it shows an enormous insecurity in the market, which is very very bad for any economy. Usually those currrency brokers have pre-access to rumours or information not released immediatly to the public. This insane market could indicate some political development or maybe some other non-sense announements of the junta. Seems to be a interesting weekend coming up

A few years ago the baht to the euro,when i invested in our home,was only 42 to the baht.

if i compare it it with now,still comfortable.Although the dollar is going rapidly down, the other currencies go stronger to the dollar as well.If you exchange in dollar I feel sorry,just ....up.

but the euro is going down as well,so the baht is appreciating to rapidly,could indicate indeed their are many speculations,proberly political,why the grafics show such disturbings,something wrong absolutely.

It's not healthy ,hope the situation can return to normal and evrybody can spend their energy on more important things then money ,political situations,and visa changes round the clock.

bless Thailand

This topic is now OUT OF DATE .

No longer factual

Events have overtaken it. [if it were allowed would delete !!]

Whate events have overtaken it? Seems to still be at 34 to me?

Please see this mornings posting futher down in the list headed .."Great news for all of us."

BOT entered the market at 8.pm today and brought the rate back to around 36. Its a shame cannot delete this out of date posting

1.00 USD

United States Dollars = 34.3416 THB

Thailand Baht

Doesn't look out of date to me Mr. Wizard :D:o

(live mid market rate)

Onshore rate @ 35.40

Edited by pumpuiman

33.90 or back again to 36 is not the big question...the main thing is that it shows an enormous insecurity in the market, which is very very bad for any economy.

I don't agree.

The difference between off and on shore markets is only the proof of an "error".

You have a virtual situation (In thailand) where 1 USD = 35.5

And a real situation (the world markets) where 1 USD = 33.75 (now).

Because BOT is "toying".

By doing this they are creating like a black (or white) market. Same in Burma, where you have an official exchange and a real one.

I've got a tip for you : soon we could have 10 % difference if they continue this stupid game. Take THB out Thailand, buy USD. Send back your USD in Thailand. Bravo, you just have made 10 % profit. Ah ah ah ah :o

Come on Tarisa ! It's time to give up....

33.90 or back again to 36 is not the big question...the main thing is that it shows an enormous insecurity in the market, which is very very bad for any economy.

I don't agree.

The difference between off and on shore markets is only the proof of an "error".

Because BOT is "toying".

By doing this they are creating like a black (or white) market. Same in Burma, where you have an official exchange and a real one.

I've got a tip for you : soon we could have 10 % difference if they continue this stupid game. Take THB out Thailand, buy USD. Send back your USD in Thailand. Bravo, you just have made 10 % profit. Ah ah ah ah :o

that does not sound good, because the next step of the junta might be than to control the money movements. Than we get step by step in direction of myanmar. But who has that much money to play such games?

There is a very old joke in the markets. A Foreign Exchange (FX) trader has an attention span similar to the (supposed) memory of a gold fish, about 30 seconds.

This behaviour has of course served the traders quite well.

I don't agree.

Because BOT is "toying".

That's exactly what happened in May '97 when baht in Singapore 23.5 and 25 in Bangkok. People loaded up suitcase with millions and flew to Changi, changed them back and returned to Don Muang. Illegal of course. A few were caught as one read in the Bangkok Post but some got away with it and made millions. Who ? Corrupt politicians whose baggage was not inspected. Anyone named ? Some one whose name begins with the letter 'T'

I don't agree.

Because BOT is "toying".

Well, we all know which direction Burmese Kyat is going. But you've got a point there. Except this is not a serious crash of anything.