Songkran jam! TV series adds to potential for airport chaos

webfact

Songkran jam! TV series adds to potential for airport chaos

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai immigration spokesmen has warned that air passengers at Songkran could face long delays at the country's main airports.

Passing through immigration alone could take over an hour at airports during peak times said Pol Col Cherngron Rimphadee.

Passengers have been warned to allow three hours to complete airport formalities during the period of April 11th to 17th when the traditional Thai New Year celebration is in full swing, reported Daily News.

Pol Col Cherngron said that problems will be most keenly felt outbound at Suvarabhumi and Phuket but Don Meuang will also be seriously affected.

He said that all booths will be manned and staff will be under orders to handle each passenger in 45 seconds but delays are inevitable as airport usage is much higher than normal.

There is only so much that his staff can do in the circumstances so people must allow time.

The AOT said that Bangkok's main airport will see 160,000 passengers a day up from the normal 120,000. This represents an average of 817 flights daily. This refers to domestic and international travel.

Don Meuang will see 301 flights and 55,000 passengers daily and Phuket 200 flights and 35,000 passengers.

Cherngron said that tourism was booming and mentioned that the success of the hit TV series "Love Destiny" with its historical scenes was playing its part in promoting the glamour and attractions of Thailand.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-02
  • Haha 2

sorry excuse - thai travelling domestically have nothing to do with "emigration chaos" as they don't pass through, and foreigners don't watch "Love Destiny".

so it's just a political propaganda. Smells elections are coming

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I thought most people were coming INTO Thailand for Songkran.

they might me already here for easter, and  leaving in a week or two, so build up around songkran

1 minute ago, londonthai said:

they might me already here for easter, and  leaving in a week or two, so build up around songkran

So this 'chaos' at the airports will be caused by clever farangs leaving just before Songkran?

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that all booths will be manned

I think I'll drive out to the airport (effectively contributing to the expected mayhem) just out of sheer curiosity and for the sake of observing that once in my lifetime.  I have literally been flying in and out of the country for decades and never ever have I seen all booths manned, regardless of time of the day or passenger numbers. If they truly manage to staff all booths, it will be nothing short of a miracle that should be recorded and documented for posterity as one of the most glorious moments in Thai history. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

So this show is playing to the international audience?

Absolutely don't you know, only the other day I had an email from an old Eskimo acquaintance, wanting me to send him a traditional outfitnso he could be appropriately dressed sitting in his igloo watching it. He also enquired after downloading the Friday Night address, said he thought it might "warm the cockles of the heart". Eskimos are somewhat prone to chilled cockles don't you know, especially if they are sitting on the floor in an igloo watching TV dressed in a sarong...

Bullshit I know, but then look at the OP!

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I thought most people were coming INTO Thailand for Songkran.

A huge amount of the Thai population with a bit of money (middle class and up) leave Thailand for holidays abroad during the Sonkran period.

We fly out on the 10th for a month.

ooooookay...let me get that straight!

a) all booths will be manned...as opposed to normal days, where this is clearly not the case?!

The mind boggles!

b ) 45 seconds per customer? Let's assume for a second, this is reality....how does that amass to 3 hours waiting, especially, if all booths are manned?

c) can you stop this BS about this #$@&(ING soap- opera already?

No one except the sheep inside this country is watching that crap and no one will travel to Thailand, because of that!

Unless you invent time- travel of course and can teleport people back to this fake and made up period in this dreamed up history of Thailand! 

But I guess that is next, after you cured AIDS and Ebola already and will host the World Cup and a F1- race within the next 2 years!

:coffee1:

Edited by DM07
  • Like 1

Immigration tells air passengers to arrive at least 3 hours ahead of flight time during Songkran

By Thai PBS

9BEBFE48-C2BD-4FAC-8F47-554F7B7922E8.jpe

The immigration Bureau yesterday told air passengers on domestic and international flights to arrive at three airports at least three hours before their flight time during the Songkran festival as passing immigration procedure may take longer time.

The three international airports which passengers were advised to arrive three hours ahead of time are Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang and Phuket.

Immigration Bureau 2 spokesman Pol Col Choengron Rimpadi said the Airport of Thailand has informed that during April 11-17, there would be a surge in passenger traffic at these three airports from inbound and outbound passengers on international flights, and passengers on domestic flights.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/immigration-tells-air-passengers-arrive-least-3-hours-ahead-flight-time-songkran/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-02

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I think I'll drive out to the airport (effectively contributing to the expected mayhem) just out of sheer curiosity and for the sake of observing that once in my lifetime.  I have literally been flying in and out of the country for decades and never ever have I seen all booths manned, regardless of time of the day or passenger numbers. If they truly manage to staff all booths, it will be nothing short of a miracle that should be recorded and documented for posterity as one of the most glorious moments in Thai history. 

And if they can do it now, why not all the time?

I have to question the whole set up of immigration control  . 

If a visa has been issued in your country of origin , why do you have to go through the immigration process on arrival ? If necessary why not at the point of departure lounge from country of origin for direct flights only and last port of call for stop overs ?

Directing all arrival flights to a central immigration hall creates havoc , congestion and  stress for all . The setting up of  additional immigration halls , dedicated to nominated flights to dilute the over crowding and to be fully staffed would surely be an improvement .

There has to be a different slant on the present procedures both for entry and departing , pure chaos even in the not so busy periods . 

Here to be shot at .

21 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

If you don't buy an international ticket, you won't get to see the immigration booths.