Nok Air plane stranded at Buriram runway

webfact

Nok Air plane stranded at Buriram runway

By Thai PBS

Nok-Air.jpg

A Nok Air plane got stuck at Buriram airport’s runway pior to its takeoff to Don Mueang airport in Bangkok this morning, obstructing all planes from landing and taking off.

Sommai Chaiyanij, director of Buriram airport said Nok Air plane on Flight DD9603 was stranded at the head of the runway as it was about to leave for Don Mueang, thus disrupting all flights from taking off and landing as the airport has only one runway.

He said the airport officials have already closed the runway for safety reasons.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nok-air-plane-stranded-buriram-runway/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-02

1 minute ago, DipStick said:

“Stranded”, technical people will attend from BKK ? Sounds like a technical issue so am left wondering why is can’t be towed to allow airport operations to continue

Maybe the Brakes are WORKING ( Stuck On in other words )

Nok Air seems to have had a few problems with one or more of their Bombardiers this year. A know this from flights into Buriram being delayed or cancelled involving a number of people I know. Also the airline doesn't have the best relations with its staff. It used to be aircrew whether its spread to its a/c maintenance people I do not know. I must admit now that Air Asia have a morning flight they look a better option for flying. 

7 hours ago, DipStick said:

“Stranded”, technical people will attend from BKK ? Sounds like a technical issue so am left wondering why is can’t be towed to allow airport operations to continue

Take a tractor and towbar out to the aircraft and drag it back to the pan.

15 minutes work at max.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Take a tractor and towbar out to the aircraft and drag it back to the pan.

15 minutes work at max.

Yes it would be that easy, but they will first have to set up a committee, then a sub committee.

After that they will get Somchai and his pals to act.

• Haha 2

No photos yet.

One assumes that since it's not been moved it's either a major gear failure or (more likely) a runway excursion (technical talk for "dropped off the edge"). 

19 minutes ago, DipStick said:

As a frequent flyer, I have yet to see an aircraft reverse under its own power from the jetway, hence the term “push back” (using a tug/tractor)

I have seen it and been on the plane doing it more than once back in 80's. Continental Airlines did it back then and perhaps others.

Here is one backing up.

Edited by ubonjoe

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen it and been on the plane doing it more than once back in 80's. Continental Airlines did it back then and perhaps others.

Indeed, it was certainly more common on aircraft with high mounted (on the tail) engines.

The big, low slung engines on the modern twins face too much risk from "foreign objects" being disturbed and being sucked in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Highly dodgy I would suggest as to do that the aircraft would have to reverse thrust with engines, that would be fun to watch. Or perhaps regulations have been tightened up since the 80’s

1 minute ago, DipStick said:

Highly dodgy I would suggest as to do that the aircraft would have to reverse thrust with engines, that would be fun to watch. Or perhaps regulations have been tightened up since the 80’s

See video I added to my post.

Prop planes can also do it if they have props that can be reversed. Been on C-130's more than once when they did it to back out revetments in Vietnam.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

See video I added to my post.

Prop planes can also do it if they have props that can be reversed. Been on C-130's more than once when they did it to back out revetments in Vietnam.

Interesting video, wouldn’t fancy being where those two ground staff were. As Crossy stated that would be very dangerous for aircraft with low under wing engines. Can you I imagine a 747 or 380 attempting that.

as for the Hurcy Bird, I have witnessed, but put that down to military requirements

He said the plane developed hydraulic problem while it was about to lift off the runway yesterday, thus blocking both landing and takeoff by all flights.

Nok Air is toward the bottom of the list of Thai airlines that I would ever fly on...for reasons like the OP here.

But, in this case, probably far better than the plane/pilot aborted their takeoff because of the problem, rather than takeoff, keep flying, and who knows what would happen during flight or upon landing.

42 minutes ago, DipStick said:

Ignorance is bliss as the saying goes. As a frequent flyer, I have yet to see an aircraft reverse under its own power from the jetway, hence the term “push back” (using a tug/tractor)

Can be done, look here !

Has been done in the past by many types, including jets up to Boeing 727 size, however, modern aircraft are much heavier and the disturbance caused at the stand makes it impractical and dangerous but not impossble.

56 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nok Air is toward the bottom of the list of Thai airlines that I would ever fly on...for reasons like the OP here.

But, in this case, probably far better than the plane/pilot aborted their takeoff because of the problem, rather than takeoff, keep flying, and who knows what would happen during flight or upon landing.

No. not toward the bottom, it is the bottom. Missus recently sat for over an hour at DM on the runway because the aircon broke. It was already 1 hour late. You can imagine with all the doors shut how hot it was inside. 2 hours later they were going to postpone till the next day (ie find yourself a hotel and food see you guys tomorrow etc) when a certain "important" medical person/passenger started throwing a tantrum and they miraculously found another plane. Took off 4 hours late. My Mrs knows nothing about planes but said the original one looked "old and abused"...

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was cutting Nok some slack because of strong competition from Thai Orient for the lowest of the low.

I didn't know TO were still on the go?

I haven't rated AA (Air Asia) in a long while, but LA (Lion Air) seem quite impressive.

16 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I didn't know TO were still on the go?

Not really inside Thailand, but flying outside:

As of November 2017, Orient Thai Airlines serves the following scheduled destinations:[7]

Thailand
People's Republic of China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Thai_Airlines#Destinations

http://investigateudom.com/files/news12goEnglish.pdf