Ebike driving license & insurance requirement ?

poanoi

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I think you must be having a copy of the statement allowing you to use your ebike.......it has something like 1000 Baht or similar written on it.

well, my whole rationale to buy an Ebike in the first instance is to be immune to police corruption, so i want a statement so i can stand my ground at any ante

Edited by poanoi

We had this discussion a while ago:

By law anything with 2 wheels and an engine is considered a motorbike, back then nobody had an official source that said something else. So you need a motorbike license, insurance, tax and so on...

Edited by jackdd

bikes have motors not engines

On 4/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, jackdd said:

By law anything with 2 wheels and an engine is considered a motorbike, back then nobody had an official source that said something else. So you need a motorbike license, insurance, tax and so on...

E-bikes have motors, not engines

Toyotron is Thailand's only Electric Motorbike Factory which produces road registered vehicles.   

In Thailand, 500 watts is the legal power output before registration & insurance is required. 

https://www.electricbikesthailand.com/toyotron/

United States

Federal laws and regulations on sales

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Act states that electric bicycles and tricycles meeting the definition of low-speed electric bicycles will be considered consumer products. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has regulatory authority to assure, through guidelines and standards, that the public will be protected from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of electric bicycles.[54][55]

Defined

The federal Consumer Product Safety Act defines a "low speed electric bicycle" as a two or three wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h) and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp). The Act authorizes the Consumer Product Safety Commission to protect people who ride low-speed electric vehicles by issuing necessary safety regulations.[56] The rules for e-bikes on public roads, sidewalks, and pathways are under state jurisdiction, and vary.

In conformance with legislation adopted by the U.S. Congress defining this category of electric-power bicycle (15 U.S.C. 2085(b)), CPSC rules stipulate that low speed electric bicycles[57] (to include two- and three-wheel vehicles) are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds.[58]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

Edited by poanoi

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i think bottom line is:

if you want to stand your ground vs thai police, have:

1] pedals

2] max 500 W motor

3] max 32 km/h on  motor powered flat terrain

And then you stand your ground by quoting US laws from wikipedia to a police man in Thailand?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

And then you stand your ground by quoting US laws from wikipedia to a police man in Thailand?

and, this statement

Toyotron is Thailand's only Electric Motorbike Factory which produces road registered vehicles.   

In Thailand, 500 watts is the legal power output before registration & insurance is required. 

i do believe traffic laws will seek to conform,

or a driving license in iceland will be useless in USA

and so on, but as we know, my homeland license is valid anywhere in the world.

europe is a bit of a nut case, having drawn the line at 25 km/h as oppose to the rest of the world

Edited by poanoi

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

and, this statement

i do believe traffic laws will seek to conform,

or a driving license in iceland will be useless in USA

and so on, but as we know, my homeland license is valid anywhere in the world.

europe is a bit of a nut case, having drawn the line at 25 km/h as oppose to the rest of the world

I quoted the definitions of "car" and "motorbike" in the other topic that i linked to, there is no "under 500w" exception in this law. If a vehicle has an engine or motor it's a motorbike or car, depending on the number of wheels.

So i'm still waiting for a link to a rule that overrules the definition of the law and makes an exception for motors under 500w. Maybe it exists, maybe not?

Your homeland license is not valid anywhere in the world.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

I quoted the definitions of "car" and "motorbike" in the other topic that i linked to, there is no "under 500w" exception in this law. If a vehicle has an engine or motor it's a motorbike or car, depending on the number of wheels.

So i'm still waiting for a link to a rule that overrules the definition of the law and makes an exception for motors under 500w. Maybe it exists, maybe not?

Your homeland license is not valid anywhere in the world.

the rule is "under 750 W" and the class below 750 is 500.

here is the link to Toyotron statement that 500 W is legal

Toyotron is Thailand's only Electric Motorbike Factory which produces road registered vehicles. who knows, perhaps they researched the matter for their own sake ?

7 minutes ago, poanoi said:

the rule is "under 750 W" and the class below 750 is 500.

here is the link to Toyotron statement that 500 W is legal

Toyotron is Thailand's only Electric Motorbike Factory which produces road registered vehicles. who knows, perhaps they researched the matter for their own sake ?

You know, not everything on the internet is true? Maybe they just write this to sell more motorbikes and because this here is Thailand they write what they want?

Let's say you drive with your under 500w motorbike, drive into a police checkpoint and he fines you 1000THB because you don't have a license plate. What are you going to do? Show him this website? You think he cares?

Edited by jackdd

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You know, not everything on the internet is true? Maybe they just so to sell more motorbikes and because this here is Thailand they write what they want?

Let's say you drive with your under 500w motorbike, drive into a police checkpoint and he fines you 1000THB because you don't have a license plate. What are you going to do? Show him this website? You think he cares?

you know, toyotron has a huge stake in the matter, since they have a factory

producing these bikes for the purpose of profit.

they would lose credibility and their business altogether if caught

with false info.

whats innit for You ? an internet warrior with an untraceable nickname,

what do you lose if you get caught red handed

with nonsense ?

if i sit on a 500 W ebike max 32 km/h with pedals,

i would not pay, i would tell them to take it to court

Edited by poanoi

3 minutes ago, poanoi said:

you know, toyotron has a huge stake in the matter, since they have a factory

producing these bikes for the purpose of profit.

they would lose credibility and their business altogether if caught

with false info.

whats innit for You ? an internet warrior with an untraceable nickname,

what do you lose if you get caught red handed

with nonsense ?

if i sit on a 500 W ebike max 32 km/h with pedals,

i would not pay, i would tell them to take it to court

I'm not saying any nonsense, everything that i said is the truth and other than you i provided facts (quote of the Thai law, which does not have an exemption for under 500w).

I said it's possible that such an exemption exists, but until somebody links to a law (or similar) i assume it doesn't.

Provide the name / paragraph of a law, or an id of a police or ministerial order that says vehicles under 500w are exempt and i'm with you

Right now you are the one who tells people that under 500w it's no problem. With an untraceable nickname, what do you lose if what you claim is wrong? If somebody here buys such a bike and gets fined, will you pay the fine for him or the costs for a lawyer to take it to court? What if he finds out that it's not possible to drive such a bike legally in Thailand? Will you refund the cost of the bike to him?

first off: its under 750 W, not under 500 W.

i base my conclusion on toyotrons statement together with laws around the world regarding ebikes, and common sense.

i say again: it stands to reason traffic laws around the world conform to the same principles, and, its not somebody, its me that has to buy an ebike based on

available info, and go to court over it.

and i will then contact toyotron that has their own vested interest

in this matter, unlike you for example, they also got the muscles

to protect their interest

Just now, jackdd said:

Your first time in Thailand?

no doubt thai police will do their best to scam, its what they do,

but i will go to court over it, and given the stakes for toyotron

if court wants to go on police side, with the example set and so on,

i am confident toyotron will not only hand over a copy of the info of which

they based their statement of 500 W motor, but i actually expect them

to provide lawyer help, given their stakes in this matter of for them hundreds of millions of baht