Chrome Paint?

sstuff3

Caswell do kits, they are on Amazon for delivery to Thailand. But I reckon stuff will be available in LOS..

As far as I am aware you cannot do the proper chroming procedure on large items, they first remove all the original chrome and start from scratch, well that's how it was when l got stuff done way back

I liked this video of another brand for small parts...

Caswell do kits, they are on Amazon for delivery to Thailand. But I reckon stuff will be available in LOS..
As far as I am aware you cannot do the proper chroming procedure on large items, they first remove all the original chrome and start from scratch, well that's how it was when l got stuff done way back
I liked this video of another brand for small parts...

[/url]  

Interesting video. As most videos on YouTube, they make it look quick and easy. The full tutorial looks a lot more complicated.

https://youtu.be/iNpGZpA1B54

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Never had any luck with chrome paint.
If you want it shiny, check out the guys that do wrap. Least it won't come off easily.
Can even have shiny in different colors
I've tried the chrome wrap before but it doesn't last long in the sun here. The adhesive turns the sticker black after about 6 months and cracks. Hard to remove after that too.

3 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

Just curious, what did you use it on and what were the results? Last long?

I used it on a valve cover and the effect was pretty good, certainly good enough for me to be happy to leave it on.  Unfortunately, I thought that clear-coating it with an aerosol would be a good idea but the two were not compatible and the "chrome" turned to grey.  Wouldn't have happened without the clear coat  and the quality of "chrome" paint now may be better that it was then.

6 minutes ago, transam said:

No, it is paint, you would have to spray the whole thing and it would look crap...:sad:

What do you mean, "no"?  I know that it is paint.  Why would the whole thing have to be painted in order not to look, in your opinion, "crap"?   Decent quality masking tape is available these days.

Edited by Just Weird

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

I know that it is paint.  Why would the whole thing have to be painted in order not to look, in your opinion, "crap"?   

Do you know the difference between chrome plate and paint regarding what blowing paint on chrome to "patch" looks like...?...

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Do you know the difference between chrome plate and paint regarding what blowing paint on chrome to "patch" looks like...?...

Yes, I do. 

Do you know that he did not say that he was trying to "patch up" the trim by blowing in chrome paint on to chrome plate?

Edited by Just Weird

I used it on a valve cover and the effect was pretty good, certainly good enough for me to be happy to leave it on.  Unfortunately, I thought that clear-coating it with an aerosol would be a good idea but the two were not compatible and the "chrome" turned to grey.  Wouldn't have happened without the clear coat  and the quality of "chrome" paint now may be better that it was then.

Thanks. I may buy a can and test it on a few things and leave in the sun to see what happens before I try it on the grille.

The best option for me would be to find a shop that does one-off plating. I'm sure there must be some around but hard to find.

The best option for me would be to find a shop that does one-off plating. I'm sure there must be some around but hard to find.

Well that would depend on where you live..there is one in Pattaya...must be a few in Bangkok.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What do you mean, "no"?  I know that it is paint.  Why would the whole thing have to be painted in order not to look, in your opinion, "crap"?   Decent quality masking tape is available these days.

What has masking tape got to do with chrome repair...?

12 minutes ago, transam said:

What has masking tape got to do with chrome repair...?

Nothing at all, he is not "repairing" chrome. 

He wants to make the trim of his grille appear chrome and also asked about chrome paint that I responded to.  By using chrome paint he would have to mask off the part that he didn't want chrome painted.  That's what it's got to do with the OP.

Edited by Just Weird

4 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

It's actually not for chrome repair. The current grille is black and I want to chrome the frame of it.

Whether metal, plastic or alloy it can be chrome plated...That is the perfection way....If you are OK with a high gloss silver look then go for paint...

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Whether metal, plastic or alloy it can be chrome plated...That is the perfection way....If you are OK with a high gloss silver look then go for paint...

...or if he is ok with chrome effect paint, which is not just high gloss silver, he can go for chrome paint! 

Just now, Just Weird said:

...or if he is ok with chrome effect paint, which is not just high gloss silver, he can go for chrome paint! 

"Chrome paint" are the words on the tin...If electrolysis is involved from the tin I will stand corrected...:stoner:

28 minutes ago, transam said:

"Chrome paint" are the words on the tin...If electrolysis is involved from the tin I will stand corrected...:stoner:

The words are probably "chrome effect", as I wrote before, but it is usually referred to as chrome paint. 

No one is saying that chrome can be sprayed from an aerosol or that electrolysis is involved but chrome effect paint is not high gloss silver so you can stand any way you like!  Geez...

Super silver.jpg

Chrome paint.jpg

Edited by Just Weird

The component which gives a silver or chromium plate appearance in paint is usually aluminium flake. Appearance varies according to how many accountants were involved in specifying the formulation.

The professional way to get the best appearance is to take the part to a chromium plating shop. Google is your friend.

The component which gives a silver or chromium plate appearance in paint is usually aluminium flake. Appearance varies according to how many accountants were involved in specifying the formulation.
The professional way to get the best appearance is to take the part to a chromium plating shop. Google is your friend.
Google only returns large plating shops (in English) that are not willing to do one-off projects like this. I'm sure there must be some small shops who can do this around Bangkok, just have to search a bit more.

sstuff,

What is the material to be painted? I found a can of BOSNY Chrome paint in a local hardware store. I painted some ubiquitous blue pipe to look like chrome. With one coat over primer it is OK. Probably needed two coats but...

bosny-chrome-spray-paint-200cc.jpg

Find a can and test.

• Like 1