Chrome Paint?

sstuff3

sstuff,

What is the material to be painted? I found a can of BOSNY Chrome paint in a local hardware store. I painted some ubiquitous blue pipe to look like chrome. With one coat over primer it is OK. Probably needed two coats but...

bosny-chrome-spray-paint-200cc.jpg&key=4a100d36763cc1a06d3923ce72d168b53b371142aa00cf25aa6b060e57b6a572

Find a can and test.
The grille is black plastic. Where did you buy this? I'd like to get a can to test first.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Where in LOS are you ? I have a guy in CNX who sends my parts to BKK for triple chrome plating. Nice work. No issues in a long time.

Don't know if they do plastic or not.

Edited by canthai55

On 4/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, sstuff3 said:

The grille is black plastic. Where did you buy this? I'd like to get a can to test first.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just a local mom and pop hardware store. I'm near Rama IV I guess i could go and have a look for you if you are near there.

Be aware that "Plating" can only commonly be done to metal parts. Chrome on plastic is vacuum coated, not plated in the conventional sense. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Just a local mom and pop hardware store. I'm near Rama IV I guess i could go and have a look for you if you are near there.

Be aware that "Plating" can only commonly be done to metal parts. Chrome on plastic is vacuum coated, not plated in the conventional sense. 

My Vigo door mirrors and aftermarket grill stuff are real chrome plate on plastic....

https://www.sharrettsplating.com/blog/what-do-you-know-about-plating-on-plastics/

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, transam said:

My Vigo door mirrors and aftermarket grill stuff are real chrome plate on plastic....

https://www.sharrettsplating.com/blog/what-do-you-know-about-plating-on-plastics/

Unless your plastic parts magically conduct electricity your chromed parts will have been done by the first process of electroless plating and subsequently electroplated.  Whichever process is used they are both real chrome! 

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Unless your plastic parts magically conduct electricity your chromed parts will have been done by the first process of electroless plating and subsequently electroplated.  Whichever process is used they are both real chrome! 

My reply to a post was aimed to inform that plastic can be chrome plated, just needs a "primer"...

:stoner:

• Like 1

I put this chrome plate on plastic about 10 years back, the grill stuff is still like new (the mesh in the grill is stainless steel)...

The inter-cooler scoop bling chrome plate plastic is obviously cheapo as it is peeling off...

Photo1160-001.jpg.dd876c90b18a342307a3f4d4e3ecfb5a.jpg

Photo1161-001.jpg.53011705f51ab36cba6be7abff43a01a.jpg