Is Prrof of Financial Means Required For Entry With Non O-A Visa

Today, I received my Non O-A long stay visa from Washington DC embassy. It is multiple entry and valid for one year.

My question is do I still need to have 20,000 baht cash in hand when I enter Thailand?

Also, do I need a return ticket so that Airlines don't deny me boarding their flight? I have already booked one way trip from ORD to BKK on April 21.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

My question is do I still need to have 20,000 baht cash in hand when I enter Thailand?

Yes. It's a requirement for any visa holder, however, it is highly unlikely that that you'd be asked to show the cash or be refused entry if you didn't have it. 

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Also, do I need a return ticket so that Airlines don't deny me boarding their flight?

No. There is no requirement to have an onward flight if you have a valid visa.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. There is no requirement to have an onward flight if you have a valid visa.

With a one way ticket, last time on a two months tourist visa, they asked me for a return flight ticket. Luckily I was going to Hong Kong from Bangkok and had a ticket for that.

Edited by onera1961

25 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

There is no requirement to have an onward flight if you have a valid visa.

Based on reports, many airline personnel are unaware of this, so may require escalating the issue to a supervisor who may have to check the regulations to verify the fact.

37 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Person on the counter to issue my boarding pass and check my passport.

This happened to me at LHR in February. The check-in counter queried my one-way ticket on a SETV and I explained that an onward flight wasn't required with a visa, which she accepted without demur.

Simon

You don't need it to be in baht. A wad of dollars is easier on the wallet.

PS.

Don't forget if you do a quick out/in, to a nearby/neighbouring country a couple of days before the enter/use by date you will get another 12 months on your visa, just remember you will need a re-entry permit each time to keep that second 12 months valid.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

With a one way ticket, last time on a two months tourist visa, they asked me for a return flight ticket. Luckily I was going to Hong Kong from Bangkok and had a ticket for that.

Yes, though it's not supposed to be an issue it may occasionally be with some airlines. I had a problem with this coming in from Taipei about three years ago while on a triple entry visa. I did have a flight back to the West, but this was several months later - anyway they relented when I explained it was a changeable ticket and I'd change the date in Bangkok. Obviously I had no need to, but it worked fine for getting me onto the flight. 

Etihad - is a real problem airline about this 

on many occasions I’ve said I’ll sign the waiver form that if refused entry with 1 way ticket  everything at my cost - most wont even understand what this document is, insists doesn’t exist (which it does) or let you board unless you have onward flight 

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

I suspect that your chances of being challenged at flight check-in will be considerably less with a 1-year OA visa than they were with a 2-month tourist visa.

I doubt many check-in staff would know the difference.

Was asked once. Pointed out that the visa goes with having a lump of money in the bank well over requirement. There was some face-saving consultation, which I cut short by producing a Bangkok Bank thingie. Smiles all around, waved through. Return ticket - a couple of times over the years, with meh airlines. A bit of insistence and calling a supervisor - sorted. 

3 hours ago, phil2407 said:

Etihad - is a real problem airline about this 

on many occasions I’ve said I’ll sign the waiver form that if refused entry with 1 way ticket  everything at my cost - most wont even understand what this document is, insists doesn’t exist (which it does) or let you board unless you have onward flight 

I had a problem with Etihad. Plainly they've a policy. You're not in a strong negotiating position as you stand there. I'd be polite!

18 minutes ago, swoods58 said:

The O-A is the Rolls Royce of visas. It has the most strict requirements of any visa. You won't need a return ticket or proof of funds.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
3. Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
4. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
5. Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

Validity of a visa: multiple entries

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance***

Required Documents: (Required 2 sets; 1 original and 1 copy)

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must be valid for at least 18 months    and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. Visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
3. Addition Application form (Download)
4. Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14(B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (Download)
5. Two photo’s passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
6. Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

source: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

...I have been traveling between Australia and Thailand for 11 years now on an OA mulit entry visa and have never been asked for onward flight.. no need for 20K Bt either..  you have already proven your financial situation in your application.. a point that you might not be aware of is that with this visa you can exit the country and return just before the first year runs out.. you get a further year ...effectively making this a 2 year visa.. you do loose entries but you can buy a re-entry (1,500 Bt..I think).. if you wish to leave and return during your 2nd year. I'm in Australia at the moment renewing mine.. after a 2 year stay... Good luck..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

.I have been traveling between Australia and Thailand for 11 years now on an OA mulit entry visa and have never been asked for onward flight.. no need for 20K Bt either..  you have already proven your financial situation in your application.. a point that you might not be aware of is that with this visa you can exit the country and return just before the first year runs out.. you get a further year ...effectively making this a 2 year visa.. you do loose entries but you can buy a re-entry (1,500 Bt..I think).. if you wish to leave and return during your 2nd year. I'm in Australia at the moment renewing mine.. after a 2 year stay... Good luck..

This is my first O-A visa. All prior visas were Tourist visas (at least two dozens in the last 10 years + an ED visa also for one year). Which option is better after almost two years? 1) Extension of Stay inside Thailand + re-entry permits as and when needed or 2) another OA visa? For extension of stay, I need to keep 800K and season it in a Thai bank. etc. or get an income certificate from Embassy (embassy oath sentence does not indicate income has to be from pension. As long as I have income from any source, I am not perjuring).

19 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

This is my first O-A visa. All prior visas were Tourist visas (at least two dozens in the last 10 years + an ED visa also for one year). Which option is better after almost two years? 1) Extension of Stay inside Thailand + re-entry permits as and when needed or 2) another OA visa? For extension of stay, I need to keep 800K and season it in a Thai bank. etc. or get an income certificate from Embassy (embassy oath sentence does not indicate income has to be from pension. As long as I have income from any source, I am not perjuring).

My choice would be O-A.

For the second year multi re-entry permit, 3800baht???

Edited by overherebc

15 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

..you have kind of answered your own question.. it depends if you want to park 800K in a bank here or are happy to travel back to OZ every 2 years for re-renewal.. either way there are documents to sort out..  I have friends &  adult kids to visit so don't mind the trips back.. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, swoods58 said:

The O-A is the Rolls Royce of visas. It has the most strict requirements of any visa. You won't need a return ticket or proof of funds.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That title probably goes to the Thailand Elite PE visa, and the new 'O-X' visa has stricter requirements.

Consular services don't want to see an onward/return flight when issuing the visa, and the IO at the border is almost certainly not going to ask to see one. The issue is with the airlines and whether their staff have the correct information regarding Thailands policy. Even with an 'O-A' visa the check in staff could ask for a ticket if the don't know the Thai regulation, or have wrong information.

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...I have been traveling between Australia and Thailand for 11 years now on an OA mulit entry visa and have never been asked for onward flight.. no need for 20K Bt either..  you have already proven your financial situation in your application..

Have they been around that long?

Proving your financial situation when when applying for any visa doesn't exempt anyone from the 20K rule. It's not going to happen, but an IO could insist that a 'O-A' visa holder has 20K in cash/travellers cheques, and could deny entry if they don't have it.

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...I have been traveling between Australia and Thailand for 11 years now on an OA mulit entry visa and have never been asked for onward flight.. no need for 20K Bt either..  you have already proven your financial situation in your application.. a point that you might not be aware of is that with this visa you can exit the country and return just before the first year runs out.. you get a further year ...effectively making this a 2 year visa.. you do loose entries but you can buy a re-entry (1,500 Bt..I think).. if you wish to leave and return during your 2nd year. I'm in Australia at the moment renewing mine.. after a 2 year stay... Good luck..

At certain Embassy's you have to provide financial proof to apply for a Tourist Visa however a I/O can still ask you to show 20,000 Baht when entering Thailand

25 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Have they been around that long?

Proving your financial situation when when applying for any visa doesn't exempt anyone from the 20K rule. It's not going to happen, but an IO could insist that a 'O-A' visa holder has 20K in cash/travellers cheques, and could deny entry if they don't have it.

I don't believe it...  I have never been asked... in and out of the country many times..