Thai person detained in Taiwan immigration

Na Fan

Arrived an hour ago and was detained by immigration. Doesn't speak English, can't read it, either. 

Outbound flight is booked for Sunday. 

Any experiences? What are the options?

Fan

I am in Taiwan and they would provide an interpreter, eventually, as is the law.  Has your friend had a problem before or carrying anything he/she shouldn't be?  My Thai friend has flown here 3 times in the last 2 yrs for a month each and never asked a question at Taiwan immigration. (also, it may take time to get help as it is now day 2 of a 5 day holiday here)

Edited by mushroomdave

Well there you have it.  Guess she's on that Sunday flight home if they don't charge/jail her.  It would help next time if she had a regular job back home that could be verified and also an invitation letter of some sort (in Chinese) from the person she was "visiting".  My friend had both and like I previously stated, got in/out each time no problems.  

I don't know, just a guess.  But if she had an intent to break the law here, it's up to them.... and actually lying to an immigration officer "may" be considered a charge and she has broken a law then  ....remember, it's Taiwan not Thailand and they will do what they want.   

Sorry to hear of your friend's inconvenience. There's nothing to be done now that they've made the decision to deport.

It's worth bearing in mind that immigration officers the world over have absolute discretion to deny or admit entrance to their country regardless of whether you have the correct visa or not. They are trained to weigh you up on the spot and if something doesn't look right to them, even if they just got out bed on the wrong side that day, they have the lawful authority to stop you and order the airline to take you back. 

I guess the moral of this story is don't take anything for granted when travelling to Taiwan on a Thai passport; minimise the reasons for the immigration officer to assume that you're just another Thai scofflaw looking to work in the black economy.

Edited by Trembly