Deestone tires

A while ago I saw plenty of recommendations for Deestone tires on this forum, so since I need new tires for my pickup I thought it was a good idea to get some recent feedback.

First of all they are dirt cheap compared with other more renowned brands, but they are a Thai brand, which is not always a reference.

I understand that with a Bridgestone at double the price I will do probably more than double the mileage.

But since I drive about 15000 km a year that would mean I will have the tires for probably 7-8 years before the thread is worn off, so not sure if that's a good idea in a tropical country.

In short the Deestone is 2500 Baht, a Bridgestone is 5000, and a Maxis is 2900.

Of course safety is always a concern, but my days of driving 150 km/h are gone and now my usual speed is 100 - 120km/h on highways and of course much less in town, which accounts for more than 50% of my driving.

My last set of tires were Firestone, which lasted me 70.000 kilometers, but they are now priced at 3900 Baht.

Any suggestions?

52 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Not good reviews in Australia - see this website.

It seems that they are extremely dangerous in wet weather.

Here is an older thread where they were discussed earlier on the Forum.

Thanks, Deestone is hereby off the list.

My aim is to drive between 50 and 70k km without safety issues.

I know i can get that with Firestones, but my last set was 3300 Baht, and the new lot is 3900 Baht regardless of the fact that oil price has halved in the mean time.

So any suggestions which can achieve my goals at a price lower than 3900 Baht are welcome.

Had a set on my city ride for last 4 years. do not do more than 100 - 110 kph

Perform perfectly well wet or dry. As they will begin to get hard way before they wear out they are a good alternative as only use it for city driving due to small size.

Our hiway ride has premium tires which get changed regularly, as travel speeds are much higher

Had cheapo & expensive tyres over the years in Thailand and just driven from the feel in my bum in the drivers seat found them all a bit different of course but still OK.

It's all in the mind IMO.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Jai Dee said:

Not good reviews in Australia - see this website.

It seems that they are extremely dangerous in wet weather.

Here is an older thread where they were discussed earlier on the Forum.

Not only were those not good comments (they cannot be considered to be credible, independent reviews when made by anonymous individuals) but they were also comments about one specific type of commercial tyre no longer manufactured and made by people who may or may not be decent drivers. 

No one should expect a cheap commercial-use tyre to perform as anything other than that on pickups is ridiculous .   No tyre can be expected to perform properly outside of it's design parameters!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, janclaes47 said:

My aim is to drive between 50 and 70k km without safety issues.

I know i can get that with Firestones, but my last set was 3300 Baht, and the new lot is 3900 Baht regardless of the fact that oil price has halved in the mean time.

So any suggestions which can achieve my goals at a price lower than 3900 Baht are welcome.

Read that outdated site again, the anonymous comments are up to 4 years old and refer to a commercial tyre that is no longer available!

If you want a commercial vehicle tyre do not expect any more from it but from your description of the likely use you will be putting them to you will probably be ok just getting the cheapest tyre that suits you (including Deestone).

Bear in mind, though, that they may wear out quicker than more expensive tyres but that does not make them dangerous or not worthy of being on your cheap tyre list.

• 1 month later...
Just now, grkt said:

Have you tried some of the cheap brands ? What proof do you have that they are not as good ?

Yes I wasn't born yesterday, so I have used quite a few tires of all kind of brands in my life.

As with everything, you usually get what you pay for, but of course that doesn't mean there are no exceptions on the rule

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes I wasn't born yesterday, so I have used quite a few tires of all kind of brands in my life.

As with everything, you usually get what you pay for, but of course that doesn't mean there are no exceptions on the rule

So what do you think is worth the money that you spend ?

thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 2:15 PM, janclaes47 said:

Safety, wet weather performance? ?

We have two Suzuki trucks that are on the road everyday and they have Deestone as replacements, for what was on there originally. 185-14. Now, we only drive at max say 120. Any faster than that and we can't hear the radio ? plus they have the aerodynamics of a brick.

Both trucks go and stop and go around corners etc.. I would have no hesitation of buying them again for the trucks. 

Maybe different ones are better but for what we do what we have are OK.

5 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Any update about the Deestone or Maxxis tyres ?

I need to replace my Duellers on my SUV and i can not choose which one of these two brands to take.

Any normal advise is very much appreciated.

Thanks 

Go with what you wanna pay, if you drive fast or slow many makes out here are OK especially for SUV's.

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:43 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Any update about the Deestone or Maxxis tyres ?

I need to replace my Duellers on my SUV and i can not choose which one of these two brands to take.

Any normal advise is very much appreciated.

Thanks 

What's up with buying the Duellers again ?  The reason I am asking is , I have Duellers on , done 95,000 klms on them , but time to get new ones. Interested in your take on them.

On my company Isuzu(s) hard-driving 40-50k a year & a lot of highway the best riding tires I ever tried were Firestone, and the longest lasting were Michelin. The Firestone were also far and away the cheapest.

I drive until I start to see the wear bars and change them. I also maintain the Isuzu specification for tire pressure. Anything rides better at 29 PSI than 50.

Driving 15k a year around town, buy the cheapest thing that fits, assuming you like the way they look.

I went for the Deestone Payak SUV  265/65/17   , 3000 baht a tire. Not noisy at all and i am very happy with it.

We only drive city area with the car , 10.000 km a year.

Best is to replace your tires every 4 -5 years, even when there is still enough profile on it.

So for half the price of the Bridgestones the Deestones are a great deal.

• 5 months later...

well i have had bridgestone and good year on my honda civic. was checking my good year today and shocked to see my tread is still fantastic and hardly worn but there are cracks in the sides both front and rear. the rubber is very hard too. If you buy make sure you get a date (genuine) they were manufactured. Its not about how fast they wear out here, it seems the rubber cracks and goes hard way before that. these were not cheap tyres either,. so yes, maybe deestone is cheaper and 2 sets of deestone is the same as one expensive set.

Archived