Pheu Thai demands an end to junta orders that limit political activity

webfact

Pheu Thai demands an end to junta orders that limit political activity

By THE NATION

abcd6ffa46967921787753e71b199da4.jpeg

THE PHEU THAI Party yesterday called for the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to repeal orders and announcements that obstruct the activities of political parties after the regime showed signs of delaying the promised road map to democracy by referring a key legislation to the Constitutional Court.

The orders are directives No 57/2557 and 3/2558, which imposed a ban on political activities, along with a recent addition to order No 53/2560 which allowed parties to perform some administrative operations while maintaining the ban.

The junta had previously promised that it would lift the political ban after the organic laws essential for the election came into effect, tentatively in June. However, the NCPO-appointed legislature on Tuesday sent the MP election bill – one of the key organic laws that must be in place prior to the election – to the Constitutional Court for a legality check. 

The move undeniably would delay enforcement of the laws and consequently prolong the political ban, despite the fast-approaching election. Parties needed time to deal with their internal affairs as well as canvass voters, said Pheu Thai.

Pheu Thai slammed the NCPO as being both negligent and exercising its absolute power arbitrarily. They said the junta orders were inconsistent. 

For instance, one order stipulated that parties could only convene after the political ban was lift. And yet, the junta has refused to remove the ban, said the party.

The real purpose of the orders continuing, they charged, was to handicap the established parties while giving an advantage to newly formed parties that have, suspiciously in the perspective of Pheu Thai, announced they would back junta leader Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha continuing as an outsider PM after the election.

The junta must revoke all these orders, Pheu Thai insisted, and parties must instead be governed by the organic law on political parties.

The party’s leaders also called on the NCPO to stop using its absolute power under Article 44 and respect citizens’ rights and freedom as well as the new Constitution now that the election was approaching.

Chaturon Chaisang, a key member of the party, said that NCPO leader Prayut may have an ambition to return to power. But he should stop sabotaging the political system, Chaturon said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30342560

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-06

17 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

They should keep complaining, as it is way past time.  They need more international exposure.  Shame from other countries is the only think the junta responds to. 

Sorry to burst your bubble but the amount of countries that are far worse then Thailand is so long so the international community has better things to do then to go after a junta that certainly is not democratic but relatively benign (compared to what is going on elsewhere). You been here a long time Thailand is not the center of the universe. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The above is the right tack to take for the party, actually the right tack to take for all the parties.

If the PTP and all the other parties meekly accept that the Junta has absolute authority to set rules and regulations governing the election, then it is likely over before it begins. Parties that do not like the Junta should be stating loudly that any election that doesn't have consent on the rules will not be seen as legitimate.

The one and only reason that the Junta is even talking about an election is that they want to have some form of legitimacy. And as this is the one and only reason, this is the leverage that the political class has; only they can give legitimacy to a process.

I would actually advise the parties to take things a step further. I would point out that both Thaksin and Yingluck were elected in a process that was generally seen by all as fair and legitimate, and challenge them to meet the standard set. This will both annoy the Junta (good thing) and create a benchmark for a clean(ish) election. 

If the Junta is allowed to set the rules unilaterally, then all of this is a waste of time. 

I remember the democrats boycotted the last free election in 2014 and the EC called the election invalid,maybe that's a way to get free and fair elections.

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Which other countries are under direct military rule?

Juntas are never benign. Watch how fast the guns come out and the killings start if there are any serious protests.

Don't delude yourself and mislead others because you would rather have the military in charge than Thaksin. 

There are quite a few under military rule and or with undemocratic governments. Just look in Asia and educate yourself. The situation in Cambodia and Myanmar is far worse then that in Thailand. 

This junta is relatively benign and there is a large list of countries that are far worse for the international community to worry about. You are deluding yourself if you think that Thailand is high on the list of bad countries that are under international scrutiny. I just read the UK is keen on trade ties with Thailand.. does that look like international scrutiny.. or more a its not so bad here we don't care attitude ?

I was not saying I want the junta to stay, i said that countless times, i want to get rid of them. I don't like Thaksin much but so be it if he wins besides they will find ways to limit his influence they have made laws for that already. You see how they are distancing themselves from him already (or at least in the public eye). My point was that Thailand is not high on the list of countries that they want to impose sanctions on. 

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

No,  I spend as little time here as possible.  I live in neighboring countries as I speak a language other than Thai.  Stories from overseas outlets worry the junta.  When Reuters or others write derogatory stories, TAT fears quality tourists won't come, and why should quality tourists come  ?  Thailand is not a quality destination.  It is still best suited for back packers and those tourists are better for the country anyway.  When the slavers were reported on and picked up by the international media, Prayuth freaked out.  The junta only loses face outside of Thailand.  Inside, their words are law.  Sadly though, you are right there are worse examples than Thailand.  Most of Asia has terrible governance.  Taiwan being one of the bright spots of a home grown democracy that works well. 

What other countries you spend your time ? Cambodia.. controlled by Hun Sen, worse then Thailand or Myanmar with its ethnic cleansing, maybe Laos with its one party system.. all 3 worse then Thailand. 

16 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

No,  I spend as little time here as possible.  I live in neighboring countries as I speak a language other than Thai.  Stories from overseas outlets worry the junta.  When Reuters or others write derogatory stories, TAT fears quality tourists won't come, and why should quality tourists come  ?  Thailand is not a quality destination.  It is still best suited for back packers and those tourists are better for the country anyway.  When the slavers were reported on and picked up by the international media, Prayuth freaked out.  The junta only loses face outside of Thailand.  Inside, their words are law.  Sadly though, you are right there are worse examples than Thailand.  Most of Asia has terrible governance.  Taiwan being one of the bright spots of a home grown democracy that works well. 

You don't rate South Korea and Japan?

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but the amount of countries that are far worse then Thailand is so long so the international community has better things to do then to go after a junta that certainly is not democratic but relatively benign (compared to what is going on elsewhere). You been here a long time Thailand is not the center of the universe. 

That other countries don't go after the junta just goes to show how little they really care about freedom and human rights despite their grandstanding and it is disgusting. My own country the UK being a prime example of hypocritical nations.

"Relatively benign" is just another way of saying "Not benign".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baboon said:

That other countries don't go after the junta just goes to show how little they really care about freedom and human rights despite their grandstanding and it is disgusting. My own country the UK being a prime example of hypocritical nations.

"Relatively benign" is just another way of saying "Not benign".

No I meant in comparison what is going on around the world Thailand does not rate high on the list. I never said the junta should not go. I just said Thailand is far from the top of the list of countries that are in the international spotlight. 

31 minutes ago, baboon said:

You don't rate South Korea and Japan?

Japan has a good court system and the South Koreans removed their leader with due process, but they are not home grown like Taiwan.  Thailand could and should learn from all three, but they won't.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

What other countries you spend your time ? Cambodia.. controlled by Hun Sen, worse then Thailand or Myanmar with its ethnic cleansing, maybe Laos with its one party system.. all 3 worse then Thailand. 

Allow me to agree with you again in response to the above:

"Sadly though, you are right. There are worse examples than Thailand.  Most of Asia has terrible governance.  Taiwan being one of the bright spots of a home grown democracy that works well.  "

1 minute ago, yellowboat said:

Allow me to agree with you again in response to the above:

"Sadly though, you are right. There are worse examples than Thailand.  Most of Asia has terrible governance.  Taiwan being one of the bright spots of a home grown democracy that works well.  "

Yea i see you agreeing.

But you made a point of saying you lived outside of Thailand as if you lived in a far better asian country. Just curious where it was as so far you have mentioned 3 countries Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, none of those do it for me. I like the climate here and all the other countries close are worse. Malaysia might be better but prefer not to live in a Muslim country. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea i see you agreeing.

But you made a point of saying you lived outside of Thailand as if you lived in a far better asian country. Just curious where it was as so far you have mentioned 3 countries Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, none of those do it for me. I like the climate here and all the other countries close are worse. Malaysia might be better but prefer not to live in a Muslim country. 

Malaysia is far superior to Thailand accept for the service industry.  Love it there.  Government is better than the current junta naturally. Immigration is polite and calm. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Hun Sen is bad but how much worse than Thailand is debatable.  He is more like criminal than the holy than thou junta, so he is easier to deal with.  Business opportunities are far easier pursued there than Thailand.  He is worse, but how much worse is debatable at this time.

No need to debate that, only point i was making with you was that Thailand is not high on the list of countries that are on the international sanction list. That was my whole point nothing more nothing less. Not support for the junta. 

5 minutes ago, JOC said:

That's the spirit Robbie....!!

To hell with democracy as long as the climate is tropical and the ladies are hot...!!

If you cared so much about democracy why are you still here.. your telling me i should leave because i should care for democracy meanwhile your still here. You make no sense... why don't you lead by example. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

No need to debate that, only point i was making with you was that Thailand is not high on the list of countries that are on the international sanction list. That was my whole point nothing more nothing less. Not support for the junta. 

My point being criminals are usually far easier to deal with than holier than thou saviors.  Many of the back packing crowd are falling in love with Cambodia as it is fun.  Cheap smokes and booze and it is open for 24 hours.  Thailand has gotten dull, as many on this forum have pointed out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you cared so much about democracy why are you still here.. your telling me i should leave because i should care for democracy meanwhile your still here. You make no sense... why don't you lead by example. 

Anyone who cares about democracy and chooses to be in a non free country is doing that country a favor. 

• Like 1