Video: Not a care in the world! But what if it was your relative was in the ambulance?

rooster59

47 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

Loud music doesn't make you go blind

Even if they couldn't hear it surely they could see it

Major fines in Ozz for this sort of arrogance 

Same in UK. It's an instinctive reaction when blue, or any colour, flashing lights appear behind you, plus, it's a heavy fine if you don't try and get out of the way. As well as that using an emergency lane to do a short cut to a junction or any other reason that is not an emergency will result in a fine, as a minimum.

Enforcement is the key.

• Like 1

I do not know how many times I have seen an ambulance trying to get by car, BUT Thais NEVER move out of their way.  I think dash cams and BIG fines might improve that situation, since you can obviously see the license plate.  A 10k baht fine would be a good start.

'The ambulance's sirens were wailing prompting some of the near million people who viewed the footage to comment the Suzuki driver probably had music on full blast.' 

Never mind a rear window seemingly filled with crap.

'... an ambulance group ... said cutting in left and right was not a good idea - people should follow the law and move out of the way.'

Not always practical, especially to move to the left. So, yes, the ambulance needs to overtake on either side, as necessary.

11 hours ago, apalink_thailand said:

Long ago, I asked some Thai friends why this happens. I was told that it was common knowledge that ambulance drivers ALWAYs have their sirens and light on because they want to get through traffic quicker. Even if they aren’t travelling to/from an emergency. In other words, they are not responsible ambulance drivers so people think they are cheating and then just ignore them on the road.

I see that a lot when I am in Vietnam. We live in a high rise apartment with a very good view. There is a street going down 200 meters to an intersection. Every ambulance turns on the lights and siren when approaching the intersection to go through the red light. 

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Personally I'd  make sure I give every priority to an emergency vehicle.

I agree with you, the problem here is you have to make the decision if it is indeed a "emergency vehicle!" we are indoctrinated in the western world to not think! we just automatically do! here you have to think first! is it a "emergency vehicle" or the "body snatchers" :shock1:

8 hours ago, travelman6 said:

I do not know how many times I have seen an ambulance trying to get by car, BUT Thais NEVER move out of their way.  I think dash cams and BIG fines might improve that situation, since you can obviously see the license plate.  A 10k baht fine would be a good start.

In OZ you do that your <deleted>

Tougher penalties needed. To make some people care about others and respect the law. 

“In California, if you violate California Vehicle Code Section 21655.5 by driving illegally in the carpool lane, you face expensive fines. Your punishment will be a minimum fine of $481, including fees and penalty”

As a British Emergency Services worker, I drive a vehicle daily on 'Blues & Twos'.  In the UK there is strict regulation governing exactly when warning instrumentation can be used, based upon the nature and urgency of the incident being attended.  It is extremely unusual in the UK for other drivers not to give way and, as a someone posting earlier said, an offending driver could be prosecuted or issued with a fixed penalty notice.  

The first time I ever drove in Thailand I thought the same would be true there too. But over many years of visiting and driving there, I have come to realise that virtually all ambulances in Thailand use their sirens and lights when simply travelling from A to B, rather than exclusively reserved for emergencies.  I too have seen ambulances, stop and wait at traffic lights, pull into 'drive throughs' with sirens and lights.  On one occasion I even saw  an ambulance with sirens and lights pull into a 7 Eleven car park.  I quickly followed to see if I could help the crew only to discover them in the queue to buy a Slurpee!

When visiting the UK, my partner is amazed at the way drivers give way to lights and sirens.  

In Thailand, abuse of the warning instrumentation over many years has lead to the situation as being discussed in this thread.  The inevitable consequence of which will, of course sadly be loss of life.  

Edited by Devlin
Added detail

sadly seen it so many times,  that peolpe dont care aboute blooking for the ambulance..!!  it is NOT ok..   wonder what people wil think if it was them indside the ambulance, needing help in a hospital,  and other do not get out off the way, so they can get to hospital fast..!!  

16 hours ago, padsist4 said:

Most Thai drivers don’t have a license so the driving licence isn’t necessary 

i was at the traffic lights and stationary when a car ran into the back of me there was a police officer at the lights the person who ran into me didn’t have a licence nor tax nor insurance the police man suggested the driver paid me cash for the repair 2000baht was suggested I accepted and the other driver was allowed to pay me and drive away. 

Well, it's like this.

The police officer is Thai and the one who collided into you is also Thai so it was a case of a Thai giving an other Thai a break, normal.

Also the officer was a traffic police man who was directing traffic and it was not in his job description to check driver licenses and insurances.

You were lucky he assisted you in getting paid.

Thai logic,

23 hours ago, shady86 said:

Another 'qualified' driver who doesn't know the existence of rear view mirror. Car makers might as well remove it and sell it as option only for Thailand market. emoji16.png

They can't see out of the rear mirror for all the stuffed toys and BS they put around vehicles.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:16 AM, ozziedave007 said:

When I first got here I was jumping out of the way of every Ambulance because they had their flashing lights on. Then I realised they always have their lights on. Little boy who cried wolf scenario. 

Are you Thai ? so you just do the same as them, unbelievable.

Nothing will change here until.

1. Thai mentality changes on the road.

2. The government clamps down on the use and sale of emergency lighting on vehicles.

3.. The police do their job and the public have respect for the police.

4. The government trains drivers with the use of emergency lighting and applies stiff penalties for unlawful use.

None of which will change in my lifetime here in Thailand.

I hope something is done soon as if the government goes ahead with the new speed limits, the ambulance services are going to be flat out, then, on the other hand the ambulance won't have any problems due to all the traffic travelling at 130-140 Kph, the cars will be flashing their lights for the ambulance to get out of the way.

On ‎7‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, keith101 said:

Some people are just ignorant and don't care about anyone else on the road especially emergency vehicles see it all the time , maybe if they where booked by the BIB next time they would move out of the way but TIT .

Don't be silly can't have the BIB leaving their air conditioned offices and their tom yum soup to go and do something as silly as book someone, this would interfere with the counting of the Brown envelopes and you interrupt that that's sacrosanct

500 Baht fine is too low, make it 5,000 baht and keep the car until the fine is paid, make sure it goes in the papers and on Thai TV.  Only then will people sit up and take notice.   Sack any policeman who takes a bribe, moving them sideways is not a punishment, losing your job is.  On a 10 minute trip into town, my wife was driving, I counted 113 people on motorcycles without crash helmets.   At a 1,000 baht a time the police could afford to pay so much a head bonus to the policestation and show a profit.  That would also save a lot of lives.