New Altis or used Camry?

Will be retiring to Thailand later in the year and planning to buy a car.

I want to stick with Toyota because they are generally reliable and Thai mechanics have a good knowledge of their stock faults and how to fix them.

The car will be used for a mix of city driving and longer runs, mainly between Jomtien and Udon. Would want to keep the car 10 years.

A new Altis 1.8 would be around 900k THB. But since I don't trust CVT autos over high miles so I would have to buy the manual trans.

Other option is a MY 12-15 Camry auto with around 100k km for around 600k THB. The Camry has a conventional auto.

I am leaning toward Camry because it might be safer on the long runs up highway 2 and I prefer auto.

Any thoughts from those of you with experience of these cars?

• Like 1

The choice is yours of course.

I will only say what I think.

I would never buy any vehicle with 100,000  km on it. I get rid of mine before that. I feel after 100,000 km they will start needing repair just a hassle.

10 years with a car that already has 100,000 on it will be problematic I feel. Any car. So repairs will be needed.

I would not buy standard either I had one standard here never again. On the mountains I was shifting constantly with the conditions we drive under here..

I would compromise if I was you if CVT is your only concern buy it  if it becomes a problem it will probably be the only problem.not like a car with 100,000 km on it could have many problems over 10 years.

3 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Toyota has good reliability, good resale, cheap and easy repair.

You got that right,  speaking as an  owner  of both Toyotas and Mazdas. I currently own both an Altis and Camry.  I would always choose the Camry but the Altis is far more economical. I would not be hesitant about the new Altis automatic.

https://www.pakwheels.com/blog/toyota-corolla-new-transmission-cvt/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

You got that right,  speaking as an  owner  of both Toyotas and Mazdas. I currently own both an Altis and Camry.  I would always choose the Camry but the Altis is far more economical. I would not be hesitant about the new Altis automatic.

https://www.pakwheels.com/blog/toyota-corolla-new-transmission-cvt/

Th cvt should be reliable enough. There were some issues with the early honda cvts but haven't heard much recently. I have both conventional and a cvt car. The cvt is much smoother (I've experienced the 4 speed auto in a vios and it's truly awful). The camry would be more comfortable for long trips. There is a new altis out overseas now, so maybe it will come to Thailand soon. 

On 08/04/2018 at 4:21 PM, DavisH said:

Th cvt should be reliable enough. There were some issues with the early honda cvts but haven't heard much recently.

My background is engineering and I have yet to see a CVT that is reliable in the long haul.  They rely on metal:metal friction to transmit power. Any wear or defect which causes a drop in clamping force results in slippage. This generates a lot of heat and debris which quickly leads to major failure and damage to components.

I would opt for a Camry. Most provinces now have Toyota Sure agents which retail pre-owned Toyota vehicles with a warranty. You should be looking at a car with a Full Service History. A new Toyota comes with a 'smart card' with chip that is used to track the vehicle on Toyota's service database. They should be able (and willing) to provide printed evidence showing compliance with the recommended service regime and parts replaced.

A 'Blue Book' - called a Tabien Roht in Thai - records the vehicle ID (VIN and Plate Number) initial and subsequent annual registrations of the vehicle and any ownership changes so you can confirm the age.

The Camry, despite what other posters may think, is a reliable transport for Thailand with easy service and repair options.

Of course, if you are a 'diesel brainwashed' person then that could limit your choice.

• Like 1

No fan of cvt autos, and would prefer the camry....just be aware of speedo tampering and accident damage,  I got caught buying a second hand car in thailand, lovely near new nissan, low km on speedo,  within 3 months paint peeling from the bodywork and of course no guarantee after that time,  complete respray and other damage found from previous accident(s)....naive me.....but have to say though six years later have done over 300k and still going strong.  Let the Buyer beware, especially in Thailand I would recommend.

I had an Altis for 5 years  - automatic - due to the fact that they are highly sought for 2nd hand taxis in Bkk - I got a great resale price... through Toyota. 

Buying used is always dicey here. My wife will tell you that if the car is worth anything, then a family member will either buy it or be gifted the car... if nobody wants it, they sell it. 

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

Camry is way way much better choice. Its high end car with better quality interiors.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Better than a 1970 car. yes...

I have had Honda's here since arrival, Honda City, then Civic, both with CVT transmission, both second hand, never a problem. Would suggest buying second hand but not from dealer, they are rip off merchants here. Shop around for late model of your choice through the various car marts on the internet, you will save about 200,000B or more buying private. Beware who you buy from and how you pay. Good luck. 

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2018 at 5:11 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

I have had Honda's here since arrival, Honda City, then Civic, both with CVT transmission, both second hand, never a problem. Would suggest buying second hand but not from dealer, they are rip off merchants here. Shop around for late model of your choice through the various car marts on the internet, you will save about 200,000B or more buying private. Beware who you buy from and how you pay. Good luck. 

But will buying private supply a guarantee of some sort...?