Closure of Maya Bay: Impact on Krabi’s economy minimal

webfact

Impact on Krabi’s economy minimal 

By The Sunday Nation

87cc63a7ebc2cacbaa0b11398c03d4c1.jpeg

Photo from: Shin Sirachai Arunrugstichai's Facebook

AN ANALYSIS from SCB’s Economic Intelligence Centre (EIC) has suggested that the closure of paradise Maya Bay would affect Maya Bay’s revenue from tourism this year by only 6 per cent.

Tourists would continue to come to the popular tourist region but simply choose other destinations instead of Maya Bay, the report said.

Tourists would probably instead flock to nearby attractions such as Koh Poda, Sa Morakot, Talay Waek and Railay Beach to compensate for the closure of the world-famous beach.

The EIC supported limiting the number of tourists, saying it would have a good impact on the country’s image and also on revenue from tourism in the middle- to long-term. 

“Imposing the measure at the popular attractions will help tourists get the most impressive experience of tranquillity and that would also help to lift the image of tourism,” the report argued. 

The EIC also recommended that private sector and government officials join forces to develop a long-term plan for a sustainable solution.

For example, tour operators could offer lesser-known destinations among the many other islands and beaches for tourists to choose from, or entry fees could be adjusted to help attract more “quality” tourists, said the report.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30342734

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-09

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Only 6%? Yeah, not strange at all. To me the beach in the photo looks almost impossible to use, due to over population. Who in their right mind would like to visit that place?

Nobody would, right?

but then, when the unsuspecting tourist buys the ticket, I’ll bet that the pictures they are shown, differ from the reality.

that said... little impact? Well... I agree. If they choose to do little, then little will be the result..... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

AN ANALYSIS from SCB’s Economic Intelligence Centre (EIC) has suggested that the closure of paradise Maya Bay would affect Maya Bay’s revenue from tourism this year by only 6 per cent.

It may affect the surrounding area's tourism revenue by only 6%, but I'm pretty sure closing Maya Bay would affect Maya Bay's revenue by pretty close to 100%.  With 1/4 of the year behind us, that means 75% of the yearly revenue, shot in the butt.

Still, I think it's a good idea to give the place a rest.  An even better idea would be to do what restaurants and hotels do when they get too popular.  Raise the price of a visit, and keep raising it until there's a balance between tourist numbers, optimizing the revenue, and maintaining the resource.  I know I'll pay a lot more to visit a scenic place that's well preserved and isn't jammed with people.  The place in the photo- they'd have to pay me to visit- as beautiful as it looks.

Edited by impulse