grand child best thing for retired people

lovelomsak

Saddest thread in a long time. No chance your stepwhore could raise her own kid with a stable household of her own huh? I have no respect for these girls who get a load after load dumped in them and then just dump off kid after kid in Isaan.  Have your own kids if you want them and stop running your own orphanage. You are just perpetuating the behavior by supporting it. I got a feeling you are going to be raising more kids than you know and paying every baht to raise them. 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, poohy said:

You are off your head!!!

My stepdaughter stayed for a week with her newish born, complete and  utter and total misery!

Never want to see it again 

Horses for courses Sir! Personally, I think that children should have their vocal cords deactivated until they reach adult age!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

What's with the Sir/Madam bit.

And you missed out the word "humble" between "That's my" and "opinion".

The image I see is of a female while I also see the word "boy" in the username.

My opinion is my opinion.

If the OP is very happy with that he is to be commended, it is nice to hear a happy story like this, so why should anyone feel they have to click on a sad face?:biggrin:

Edited by possum1931
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

We had the misfortune over Christmas that we had both my daughters some to visit us in Rapid City, then somehow my youngest daughter persuaded my wife that looking after their 6 month baby for a couple of days while her and her bf went to Minneapolis to visit some friends would be a good idea, so they could party for the New Year

Baaaaad idea. Sceaming babies, poop, pee, diapers, never again

While I wouldn't mind babies being around, there is no way you would get me changing nappys. :post-4641-1156693976:

7 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Have no idea why these people do this

After having worked all your life & no doubt having raised kids (if not then ok ), & eventually saving for those retirement years, the young wife wants a baby

Is it because the young wife has no kids & if so why do retirees assist instead of her finding a young man

Is it for further security knowing the westerner will look after child

Some of these retirees will never see their kid/s come to maturity 

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

I was a single man all my life and for me having a family is a whole new frontier. I quess we are really fortunate too. 

She seldom cries just laughs,smiles,yells with joy. Perhaps we got lucky and got a real gem of a baby.

As far as pampers(diapers) and such the wife handles all that. She sleeps with us when I go to bed I see her sleeping when I wake up I see her sleeping it is just to cute for words. She has a playpen big enough for all three of us . We play all day. She loves water and loves her baths. She is so happy all the time I cannot help but be happy.

But yes I am worried when the terrible 2's will come. But at the moment would not trade her for anything.

What is the "terrible 2's? I have never heard that expression before.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The terrible 2's to my understanding is a time when the child is rebellious,difficult to communicate with demanding,a time when they are expressing themselves and want to be heard,and understood.Much like a teenager I quess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, you have gotten some grief from some of our posters, but I see your point; especially if she is a pleasant and untroubled baby. I think you have many more years of happiness ahead of you.

My wife and I have our grandson here most weekends and often take him with us when visiting friends around Thailand. He is now three and a half years old and speaks Thai, Filipino and English. We have relived the best parts of our son's growing-up. We have watched the little guy learn to feed himself, take his first steps, get potty-trained, and learn which language to use with each parent and grandparent. My Thai counterpart and I used to struggle to communicate, now we take our grandson with us and he translates; usually to his advantage--he has learned to work us all. He is our only grandchild and the only male grandchild of the Thai grandparents parents.

He likes to be with me, or makes me believe it anyway. I joke and play with him and usually do what he likes, and I really enjoy showing him new things. I must admit, I am especially proud of his caucasian looks. He is only one-quarter caucasian--my wife is Filipina, our son is half-Filipino and our daughter-in-law is full Thai--but the little guy has light skin, high-nose, light brown eyes and brown hair.  However, it is good to have his mother come to pick him up. We also like our privacy and freedom; we are experiencing the best of both worlds.

A three and a half year old speaking three languages? At that age a normal kid would still have some difficulty speaking one language, but what do I know? I have never had kids.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Terrible twos. How to Tackle The "Terrible Twos

Age-related. Google is your best friend. 

While the celebration of your toddler's second birthday is joyful, it is hard to ignore the feeling of dread as "No" begins to dominate his vocabulary.

Edited by jenny2017
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

My opinion stands  in that I think it's selfish for an old falang to father a baby.

That's my opinion Sir/Madam.

I do see your point, but I would ask, how old would that apply to?

A three and a half year old speaking three languages? At that age a normal kid would still have some difficulty speaking one language, but what do I know? I have never had kids.

Personally I could never raise another man's child, especially in Thailand.I've been asked but refused. I've been here for most my life and seen too many horror stories, especially with farang marrying women with make children. No bloody chance.
I understand the OP, it's wonderful the first few years, but remember they get older.

Why not , in my case the kid just turned 4 today and speaks Thai fluently and can speak and understand English , albeit not as proficiently as his own mother tongue.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

Horses for courses Sir! Personally, I think that children should have their vocal cords deactivated until they reach adult age!

Agreed. You should become a geneticist for the benefit of us all. 

8 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Have no idea why these people do this

After having worked all your life & no doubt having raised kids (if not then ok ), & eventually saving for those retirement years, the young wife wants a baby

Is it because the young wife has no kids & if so why do retirees assist instead of her finding a young man

Is it for further security knowing the westerner will look after child

Some of these retirees will never see their kid/s come to maturity 

True you have no idea and maybe that it is not the right situation for you.  Great news is life is a mixture of wants and experiences and situations and no one path is better for all. A life of giving to others especially kids is a good reason to live and can bring great joy. And none of us made our money or our successes or failures alone.  Everyone has a different balance in life of what makes them happy. Peace 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I want to add a a little something .

I read a long time ago that a person acquires all their long lasting life skills by the age of 2 (perhaps a good explaination for terrible 2's). I want to believe this. So I treat raising her with that in mind. We try very hard to give her stability from the start,I even talk to her as an adult .She gets so much love and positive reinforcement since birth.She seldom fusses. I put that down to being well adjusted with no emotional issues as of yet. 

With the 2 year life skill thought I feel we can do out best while I am here if I die after she is 2 I hope she has what she needs to have a full happy life.Happy is the priority. She is a grand child not my child so I feel it is not necessary I see her through to adulthood. I just want to give her a real good start in life. Of course the longer I am here to share with her the better.

Like one poster stated it bonded the family like superglue the same happened here. My stepdaughter used to hate me not even want to be in the same room. Now we are a happy family. It is like there never was problem.

I will stop do not want have TV start to be a parenting support group.

My wife is from a large, very tight family, but it was the emergencies that we lived together that increased my bonds with them. After that, it was my daily attention to schooling and commitment to picking her up that I think earned me even more respect from the family. And your thoughts of getting her off to a great start are wonderful - - they will eventually lead to wanting her to be old enough to remember you as a caring loving parent... and then?

Good luck to the OP. Not that I would get excited about changing nappies. Yuck.

IMHO a dog is better. Unconditional loyalty, and they can be put down if they turn out bad. Fortunately for Dorhu, he is delighting everyone in the household.

IMG20180219162449.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Saddest thread in a long time. No chance your stepwhore could raise her own kid with a stable household of her own huh? I have no respect for these girls who get a load after load dumped in them and then just dump off kid after kid in Isaan.  Have your own kids if you want them and stop running your own orphanage. You are just perpetuating the behavior by supporting it. I got a feeling you are going to be raising more kids than you know and paying every baht to raise them. 

Lots of assumptions, insults and totally unwelcome here.

If you can't help someone dinner try to hurt them, it says a lot about your mental state.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Although, I will be the first to tell you my grandson is no normal kid; I neither said nor meant to infer that he was a world-class multi-lingual orator. He still has a limited vocabulary and speaks in simple sentences. Children are knowledge sponges, if someone takes the time to teach them. Our grandson has two sets of doting grandparents and very attentive parents. Most children whose parents speak two languages learn both languages. Nevertheless, I have to admit I know several English-speaking fathers here whose half-Thai almost grown children speak only Thai well.  I believe the reason is the fathers do not spend much time with their children. Since our grandson started speaking, almost two years ago, we have consistently taught him all three languages for the words he uses and followed that with which one of us says which word. Consequently, for the most part, he knows with whom he can speak which language, but he does get confused. Just last week when when his Thai grandfather asked him for a tool in Thai, our grandson asked him in Thenglish if he wanted a "screwdriver" or "wrench."   Today I taught him "skateboard," but I didn't know its name in Filipino or Thai when he asked. I guess he thinks he has a dumb grandfather.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Although, I will be the first to tell you my grandson is no normal kid; I neither said nor meant to infer that he was a world-class multi-lingual orator. He still has a limited vocabulary and speaks in simple sentences. Children are knowledge sponges, if someone takes the time to teach them. Our grandson has two sets of doting grandparents and very attentive parents. Most children whose parents speak two languages learn both languages. Nevertheless, I have to admit I know several English-speaking fathers here whose half-Thai almost grown children speak only Thai well.  I believe the reason is the fathers do not spend much time with their children. Since our grandson started speaking, almost two years ago, we have consistently taught him all three languages for the words he uses and followed that with which one of us says which word. Consequently, for the most part, he knows with whom he can speak which language, but he does get confused. Just last week when when his Thai grandfather asked him for a tool in Thai, our grandson asked him in Thenglish if he wanted a "screwdriver" or "wrench."   Today I taught him "skateboard," but I didn't know its name in Filipino or Thai when he asked. I guess he thinks he has a dumb grandfather.

An excellent post, and thanks for helping me to understand some things, and good luck with your grandson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I talk with my granddaughter a lot. I make up the conversation as we go. I ask friends who have Luk Krueng children and they told me if we talk english and Thai the child will have 2 native languages.  I want that.

When I enter the room and start talking she stops everything to find where I am and gives me a big smile. She really knows how to make me feel special.When she does this I sit with her and we talk for 1/2 hour or more. Me in english her in baby talk it is great..It is an english lesson in a form.She gets so excited talking to me she starts to scream out and laugh and smile. Cannot buy that kind of happiness any where.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I talk with my granddaughter a lot. I make up the conversation as we go. I ask friends who have Luk Krueng children and they told me if we talk english and Thai the child will have 2 native languages.  I want that.

When I enter the room and start talking she stops everything to find where I am and gives me a big smile. She really knows how to make me feel special.When she does this I sit with her and we talk for 1/2 hour or more. Me in english her in baby talk it is great..It is an english lesson in a form.She gets so excited talking to me she starts to scream out and laugh and smile. Cannot buy that kind of happiness any where.

Oh yes, my grandson and I have our own language too--part baby-talk, part nonsense, and part one of the three languages he knows. He particularly likes the Filipino word for fart, so every few words gets the fart suffix.

Good on ya mate. Enjoy it. Kids do bring happiness and I enjoy when my close staff bring their kids around. Good to hear of people out there positive and enjoying their life here. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

IMG_5305.JPG

Grandkids can be great and can be hard work !!
I have two, a girl coming up to 5 and a boy at 10 years old .
I love them dearly and miss them greatly................ but then after a few hours I’m happy to hand them back [emoji23]

I believe that grandkids are a great source of happiness for their grandparents and if anything happened to their parents ( god forbid ) I would quite happily take them on board, but right now the situation is stable I am here enjoying my retirement and they are at home with my son and his wife................ almost 6,000 miles away !!

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Oh yes, my grandson and I have our own language too--part baby-talk, part nonsense, and part one of the three languages he knows. He particularly likes the Filipino word for fart, so every few words gets the fart suffix.

Eat a lot of onions in your household?