Thai Girlfriend 6 month visa flights

Hi all, Ive just found out today that my girlfriend has been issued with her 6 month tourist visa to visit the UK. 

I now have to book her flight ticket, I would like her to stay for the full length of time. 

When booking the ticket do I need to book her return date back to Thailand say a couple of weeks after she has landed in the Uk and then change once she has passed through immigration? Or not worry about the length of time between arrival and return? 

Thank you

When you say that now that she has been issued with a visa you would like her to stay for the full six months, is that what she want's to do, what about her life in Thailand?

If your girlfriend stays for the full six months of the validity of her visa it's perfectly legal, but it does come with a number of risks.

When she applied for her visa as well as convincing the ECO that her visit was genuine and affordable she would have given her  "reasons to return", her ties to her home country play a very big part in satisfying the ECO that she's a genuine tourist, not many tourists can spend six months on holiday, certainly not those in regular employment.

What did she use as her reasons to return, if she used employment here in Thailand, and then can take an extended break, then her ties to Thailand are questionable.

When she arrives at the UK Border the Border Force Officer will ask her the reason for her visit and how long she intends to remain in the UK, the officer will have access to her original application, if they think that she's not a genuine visitor or that she said in her application that she wanted to visit the UK for a short holiday when she intended to stay for six months, then there's a chance that she could be refused entry to the UK, she needs to remember that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee entry at the UK Border. 

If she's allowed to enter the UK and stays for the full six months then this could effect any future application for a Visit Visa, especially if she uses employment as one of her reasons to return, as that reason would be brought into question, so in any future application she would need to satisfy the ECO that staying in the UK for that long was reasonable.

As I say what your girlfriend is considering is perfectly legal, but it does carry a risk factor.

Going back to your original question, there is no actual requirement to have a return ticket when entering the UK though some Border Force Officers will ask for one, they will be fully aware that possession of a return ticket doesn't mean the traveller will return, what your girlfriend is planning on doing is a good example of this, the traveller must be able to satisfy the Officer that they have the means to leave the UK and that they will comply with Immigration Law.

If she decides that the risk is worth taking, if I were in her position I would be changing the flight, or buying a new one when she's sure that she wants to remain in the UK for six months.

As a matter of interest what would she be doing in the UK for six months, do you work or at home all day? 

• Like 2

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. 

Her reasons for her return, are her son, land, condo and car. 

I think the best idea would be to change the dates of the return flight once she arrives in the UK, sounds safer. 

Yes I work, I do shift work 4 on/4off and will be using annual leave to allow us to spend time together visiting other places. 

I should imagine most of her time will be relaxing, shopping, walking around and eating during the time I have to work. 

Thanks again, most helpful. ? 

You'll then have to explain at the next visa application why you changed the flights, so she could stay longer. Why not just book the flight you want for 6 months straight off.

I expect she will be bored when you are at work unless she finds some friends.

On 10/04/2018 at 9:49 PM, spiceman said:

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. 

So far you haven't mentioned the period of stay that she intended and told the ECO when she applied for the visa. Just because the visa is valid for 6 months doesn't mean that it is intended that a person stays 6 months.

if she told the ECO that she intended to stay for 6 months then a return ticket and 6 month stay will be no problem.

However if she claimed that she would only stay for a few weeks then remains for 6 months it is probable that any future visa request will be much more difficult, if it is granted at all.

At at the moment from what you have said it looks as if she may not have been completely honest in her visa application, this usually makes for problems later.

I didn’t have much to do with helping her get the visa but she has since told me that she informed the ECO that she will be taking a holiday to the UK for roughly 3 weeks. 

Its not set in stone that she will remain here for the whole 6 months as im sure she might get bored as you guys say. 

It's a dangerous game to play staying the full six months if she asked for three weeks. Are you saying that she didn’t use a job as a reason to return at all and just relied on her her son, land, condo and car as her reasons?

My wife stayed for 18 weeks on her first visit visa but her reason to return was her job and she'd requested a month. She was made redundant while she was here in the UK and I explained that on the next visit visa application. She had no difficulty getting a two year visit visa a few weeks later which date-wise overlapped the first visa by 12 days and I also explained that I was financially supporting her by then. It wasn't an issue as the visa was issued very quickly. She then stayed 14 weeks taking her up to the 180 days maximum guideline.

We stopped faffing around when I realised that she wouldn't be allowed back using the shiny new two year visit visa with 14 weeks on the clock and went for settlement and got married, here in the UK.

Quite a big difference for us though as I am self employed as we just went everywhere together.

On that basis, as long as you explain why she stayed longer in her next visa, she should be ok. If her next application is for a settlement visa there won’t be a problem at all as she won’t need a reason to return any way. I would still explain why she stayed longer on the first trip in the next application though.

No. I'm not saying that at all. I presumed that you were her sponsor for the visa. Did you sponsor her visit visa? If you did UKVI will know it.

On my GF's second VV application I just told them that my, (then) girlfriend, had been made redundant while she was in the UK and there was no burning reason to go back to Thailand as she had no job to go back to.

Edited by rasg

8 hours ago, spiceman said:

she has since told me that she informed the ECO that she will be taking a holiday to the UK for roughly 3 weeks. 

Mmm -- If she stays significantly longer than the 3 weeks a very good explanation would be required if another visa was applied for. 

Hi all, I passed this topic to my Thai girlfriend to have a read and she has asked some of her Thai friends too. Now she is in panic mode thinking she will get future problems if apply for another visit. 

Some of her friends have suggested that : 

She stick to what she told the ECO officer and take her trip to the UK from the 2nd May and return back to Bkk on the 14th May, 

Stay a couple of weeks in Bkk and then fly back to the UK to stay here for a few months.  She said she has a multi entry visa for 6 months which entitles her to come back, plus she is sticking to what she told the ECO. 

Please could you let me know what your thoughts are in doing this. 

Thank you

People from Thailand get visas all the time for the UK on their own merits. She would have had to fulfill all of the usual requirements for the visa just without a sponsor.

What was her reason for the holiday? Did she mention visiting anybody in the visa application?

Unless the visit visa questions have changed she would have answered the following questions. How did she answer them?

Family and Friends in the UK?
Family and Friends?
Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK?
Do you have any friends or family in the UK??
Relationship if yes?
Additional Information
Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?
Visa Confirmation Questions
Is the main purpose of your trip to visit/stay with a close family relative who is settled in the UK?
Do you intend to study in the UK?

If she chose to, she, or the two of you wouldn't have to fly all the way back to Bangkok. You could both go to Turkey for a weeks holiday.

Edited by theoldgit
Deleted quote removed

On 13/4/2561 at 2:26 AM, spiceman said:

I didn’t have much to do with helping her get the visa but she has since told me that she informed the ECO that she will be taking a holiday to the UK for roughly 3 weeks. 

Its not set in stone that she will remain here for the whole 6 months as im sure she might get bored as you guys say. 

Perhaps it's 'automatic' for the visa to be issued for 6 months but that doesn't mean it's advisable or even possible for the visitor, what about her job and her son.

Can she get leave from her job for 6 months? Perhaps doubtful but who knows?

Do you want her son to be left alone for 6 months (very important question and perhaps it links to your possible future intentions for him, have you given any thought to this point. How old is the son? Who will take care of him, will he get the love and care he's entitled to - all children are entitled to? Is there some chance he will be thinking 'where's mommy - is she coming back)?

If your genuine there's lots of things to think about and some big decisions here?

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps it's 'automatic' for the visa to be issued for 6 months but that doesn't mean it's advisable or even possible for the visitor, what about her job and her son.

Do you want her son to be left alone for 6 months (very important question and perhaps it links to your possible future intentions for him, have you given any thought to this point. How old is the son? Who will take care of him, will he get the love and care he's entitled to - all children are entitled to? Is there some chance he will be thinking 'where's mommy - is she coming back)?

If your genuine there's lots of things to think about and some big decisions here?

Most visit visas are multi entry and last from six months right up to ten years but an applicant can still only stay in the UK for 180 days in a 12 month period.

The OP has said that his girlfriend doesn’t have a job and didn't rely on one as a reason to return.

I agree with you about her son but many Thai women have their kids looked after by mum or grandmother while they work away etc.

• Like 1

Totally unwarranted and unsubstantiated comment removed, together with a reasoned response and a quoted reply has been edited from a response.

Please don't make such insinuations about people you don't know, they really aren't helpful and can be very hurtful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rasg said:

Most visit visas are multi entry and last from six months right up to ten years but an applicant can still only stay in the UK for 180 days in a 12 month period.

The OP has said that his girlfriend doesn’t have a job and didn't rely on one as a reason to return.

I agree with you about her son but many Thai women have their kids looked after by mum or grandmother while they work away etc.

So how come she could get a tourist visa when she doesn't have a job?

"I agree with you about her son but many Thai women have their kids looked after by mum or grandmother while they work away etc".

Point taken but that mean it's Ok to leave kids with grandma.

The sociology faculty of one of Thailand's leading universities has been seriously / professionally researching the scenario of leave kids with grandma and go to work in a factory, come home twice a year and the ultimate results this produces. 

The already well proven longer-time results are all severely negative, even disturbing. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"I agree with you about her son but many Thai women have their kids looked after by mum or grandmother while they work away etc".

Point taken but that mean it's Ok to leave kids with grandma.

The sociology faculty of one of Thailand's leading universities has been seriously / professionally researching the scenario of leave kids with grandma and go to work in a factory, come home twice a year and the ultimate results this produces. 

The already well proven longer-time results are all severely negative, even disturbing. 

You ask: "So how come she could get a tourist visa when she doesn't have a job?"

My girlfriend left her job 12 years ago when she moved in with me; she hasn't worked since.

She has been granted visas to many countries without problem. And did not ever apply for a visa while she was working, before she met me.

Edited by macahoom

7 hours ago, rasg said:

People from Thailand get visas all the time for the UK on their own merits. She would have had to fulfill all of the usual requirements for the visa just without a sponsor.

What was her reason for the holiday? Did she mention visiting anybody in the visa application?

Unless the visit visa questions have changed she would have answered the following questions. How did she answer them?

Family and Friends in the UK?
Family and Friends?
Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK?
Do you have any friends or family in the UK??
Relationship if yes?
Additional Information
Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?
Visa Confirmation Questions
Is the main purpose of your trip to visit/stay with a close family relative who is settled in the UK?
Do you intend to study in the UK?

If she chose to, she, or the two of you wouldn't have to fly all the way back to Bangkok. You could both go to Turkey for a weeks holiday.

She didn’t mention anything about meeting friends/family or myself while applying for the visa. She just said she wanted to visit the Uk as a tourist for a couple of weeks. 

I think for her she would prefer to fly back to Thailand, stay maybe a few weeks/month and then come back to the Uk. 

Would this be better in they eyes of the ECO if applying for another visit visas in the future? 

This way she could say she met me on her first trip to the Uk and decided she wanted to come back and be with me longer? 

Would this be sticking to the rules better? 

Thank you Rasg for your help

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

She doesn’t have a job at the moment. 

As for her son, he is 16 years old and lives with his father and his family, my girlfriend split from him for many years ago. 

She still see’s her Son and supports him finacially and they have a good relationship with eachother. 

Ive met him too, he’s a nice lad.  

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Because she showed that she fulfilled the requirements of the visa application. She obviously had the money to pay for the trip and showed that she had good reasons to return  to Thailand, had accommodation etc.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:49 PM, spiceman said:

This is what the OP said.

I would love to see the contents of the visa application!

7 hours ago, spiceman said:

She didn’t mention anything about meeting friends/family or myself while applying for the visa. She just said she wanted to visit the Uk as a tourist for a couple of weeks. 

I think for her she would prefer to fly back to Thailand, stay maybe a few weeks/month and then come back to the Uk. 

Would this be better in they eyes of the ECO if applying for another visit visas in the future? 

This way she could say she met me on her first trip to the Uk and decided she wanted to come back and be with me longer? 

Would this be sticking to the rules better? 

Thank you Rasg for your help

If I were the ECO that would be more likely to be believed.

She will have had to give more details than just son, land, car as a reason to return to Thailand. If the reasons can be suitably wrapped up in a month or so then a return trip, I think, would be less likely to raise a red flag with an ECO. 

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

She will have had to give more details than just son, land, car as a reason to return to Thailand. If the reasons can be suitably wrapped up in a month or so then a return trip, I think, would be less likely to raise a red flag with an ECO. 

The problem is we have no idea of the contents of the visa application to speculate. She might own 100 rai of land and own the condo outright. The car might be an Aston Martin. We just don't know.

I think it would be a dangerous game to play with UKVI if an English boyfriend is mentioned later on when he wasn't on the original visa application. The applicant will be playing with fire. Especially if she stays for six months.

Edited by rasg