Road carnage: You're all breaking the law, campaigner tells Thais.

webfact

What this shows is how little most expats bother to find out about driving in Thailand, they just make  assumptions about other drivers and don't realise that it isn't the same as at home.

This absurd rule killed thousands in France  (and many other European countries too - priority to the right, there of course) and although it has been controlled it still exists there too.

This then shows us that with properly designed, signed and constructed roads and junctions even a ridiculous piece of law like this can be dealt with, but please don't just blame the drivers; they are no more stupid than you or I, at least they know the rules of the road
What you are referring to, as I remember from my driver licence test, counts only for equal roads and if there are no signs or markings on the road. Other than that would be hilarious and lead to total carnage.

11 hours ago, CLW said:
12 hours ago, Airbagwill said:
What this shows is how little most expats bother to find out about driving in Thailand, they just make  assumptions about other drivers and don't realise that it isn't the same as at home.

This absurd rule killed thousands in France  (and many other European countries too - priority to the right, there of course) and although it has been controlled it still exists there too.

This then shows us that with properly designed, signed and constructed roads and junctions even a ridiculous piece of law like this can be dealt with, but please don't just blame the drivers; they are no more stupid than you or I, at least they know the rules of the road

What you are referring to, as I remember from my driver licence test, counts only for equal roads and if there are no signs or markings on the road. Other than that would be hilarious and lead to total carnage.

The priority from the left rule...
One thing this shows is how little most expats bother to find out about driving in Thailand, they just make  assumptions about other drivers and don't realise that it isn't the same as at home.
This absurd rule killed thousands in  countries too.
With properly designed, signed and constructed roads and junctions even a ridiculous piece of law like this can be dealt with, but please don't just blame the drivers; they are no more stupid than you or I, at least they know the rules of the road

"What you are referring to, as I remember from my driver licence test, counts only for equal roads and if there are no signs or markings on the road. 
"Other than that would be hilarious and lead to total carnage"

You use the expression "Equal roads" which by default in Thailand means all roads... In UK and USA we are hardwired into the concept of some roads "naturally" having priority.

In Thailand the road has to be designated.  This maybe by bylaw, sign or "competent police officer".
And this is why I keep harping on about the need to totally reform, re-engineer and re-design all the roads in Thailand. There is in fact virtually no signage on the road surfaces or at eye level to let motorist know if they have priority or not, by default it is to the right. There are new signs coming, but you'd hardly notice. For signs to work they have to be positioned right and maintained, and cleared of obstructions like vegetation or billboards.
However, as you drive through a town, I'm sure you are aware of the blue Soi numbering signs on posts along the road ... take note that every now and then one of those signs actually doesn't say "Soi" it says  "Sai" ... that road definitely has priority. What your chances are of spotting this in a moving car are, I don't know.
Of course Thai motorists are aware of these conundrums and drive accordingly, but foreign motorists in their arrogance continue to drive according to the perceived "good driving practices" they learned back home.
You say...
"Other than that would be hilarious and lead to total carnage."
Well, have you not noticed the high level of road death rates in Thailand?
To sort this requires a lot of science and expenditure..... Thailand loses 5% of GDP to road casualtiessafety every year.

I'm not suggesting that the priority rule is the root cause of Thailand's poor road safety showing but it is symptomatic of the authorities extremely inept approach to the problem.
It's no good just blaming drivers, that's a non-starter  .. In ANY country, drivers will do what they can get away with. The key to road safety is PREVENTION. ... stopping drivers from doing what comes naturally and keeping moving vehicles away from each other and other road users.
BTW - You will notice priority signs are now popping up around Thailand...as usual in a haphazard and ineffective way.... have you even seen them explained?

On 10/04/2018 at 7:51 PM, masuk said:

A Thai friend of mine, who I was teaching to drive, assured me the double lines on the road are "advisory only".

So it's only a suggestion that Thais don't have to keep left on a winding road and can cross the double lines at any time!

What a system if drivers really think that!!!

yeah not taught properly at a driving school...and they never read the Thai highway code (and yes there is one!!)

21 minutes ago, Thaimike370 said:

Here in Thailand the speed limit has been increased to 110 Kph to cut down accidents?

In the UK the speed limit on some roads has been cut from 50 MPH to 40 MPH because they had 10 accidents in 5 years!

Just saying!

When was the limit changed and for what roads......The norms are 80, 90, and 120 depending on road type...there are also urban limits.

22 minutes ago, essox essox said:

yeah not taught properly at a driving school...and they never read the Thai highway code (and yes there is one!!)

Most drivers from any country who are over 50 didn't have good driving lessons.

Education is an ongoing thing and requires a comprehensive plan by the authorities....which Thailand doesn't ha've.

In fact as drivers get older in countries like the US and in Europe they actually get more complacent, mistaking years of driving for experience.

What they fail to realise is that years of safety engineering and road design coupled with enforcement has PROTECTED them from their complacency. Sadly they don't realise this and think that because they are still alive is down to being "good drivers" ...they are just kidding themselves.

The priority from the left rule...
One thing this shows is how little most expats bother to find out about driving in Thailand, they just make  assumptions about other drivers and don't realise that it isn't the same as at home.
This absurd rule killed thousands in  countries too.
With properly designed, signed and constructed roads and junctions even a ridiculous piece of law like this can be dealt with, but please don't just blame the drivers; they are no more stupid than you or I, at least they know the rules of the road

"What you are referring to, as I remember from my driver licence test, counts only for equal roads and if there are no signs or markings on the road. 
"Other than that would be hilarious and lead to total carnage"

You use the expression "Equal roads" which by default in Thailand means all roads... In UK and USA we are hardwired into the concept of some roads "naturally" having priority.

In Thailand the road has to be designated.  This maybe by bylaw, sign or "competent police officer".
And this is why I keep harping on about the need to totally reform, re-engineer and re-design all the roads in Thailand. There is in fact virtually no signage on the road surfaces or at eye level to let motorist know if they have priority or not, by default it is to the right. There are new signs coming, but you'd hardly notice. For signs to work they have to be positioned right and maintained, and cleared of obstructions like vegetation or billboards.
However, as you drive through a town, I'm sure you are aware of the blue Soi numbering signs on posts along the road ... take note that every now and then one of those signs actually doesn't say "Soi" it says  "Sai" ... that road definitely has priority. What your chances are of spotting this in a moving car are, I don't know.
Of course Thai motorists are aware of these conundrums and drive accordingly, but foreign motorists in their arrogance continue to drive according to the perceived "good driving practices" they learned back home.
You say...
"Other than that would be hilarious and lead to total carnage."
Well, have you not noticed the high level of road death rates in Thailand?
To sort this requires a lot of science and expenditure..... Thailand loses 5% of GDP to road casualtiessafety every year.
I'm not suggesting that the priority rule is the root cause of Thailand's poor road safety showing but it is symptomatic of the authorities extremely inept approach to the problem.
It's no good just blaming drivers, that's a non-starter  .. In ANY country, drivers will do what they can get away with. The key to road safety is PREVENTION. ... stopping drivers from doing what comes naturally and keeping moving vehicles away from each other and other road users.
BTW - You will notice priority signs are now popping up around Thailand...as usual in a haphazard and ineffective way.... have you even seen them explained?

I would guess also Thai drivers don't know about that priority left rule (if they know or obey some traffic rules at all)
It's laziness or being in a hurry when they not stop and look at a junction.

""Of course Thai motorists are aware of these conundrums and drive accordingly, but foreign motorists in their arrogance continue to drive according to the perceived "good driving practices" they learned back home.""

Are you seriously saying that foreign motorists who had a real driver education, lessons and a real world test are worse driver than the locals? LMAO

17 minutes ago, CLW said:

I would guess also Thai drivers don't know about that priority left rule (if they know or obey some traffic rules at all)
It's laziness or being in a hurry when they not stop and look at a junction.

""Of course Thai motorists are aware of these conundrums and drive accordingly, but foreign motorists in their arrogance continue to drive according to the perceived "good driving practices" they learned back home.""

Are you seriously saying that foreign motorists who had a real driver education, lessons and a real world test are worse driver than the locals? LMAO

Where did you read that?

As for knowing it, yes they do...it's instinctive....I could back this up but as t involves foreign countries, it is likely to be deleted.

BTW in not suggesting anything, I'm reporting  or mirroring solid research on road safety around the world.

Edited by Airbagwill

A post containing offensive comments has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

The only time I feel safe is when there is no-one else on the road. I felt and actually was safer motor racing than driving on Thai roads. Stay safe during Songkran, avoid the roads. Enjoy hang-gliding, freediving, ski-jumping, freestyle motocross, rock climbing etc.