Is it worth paying out for originals Windows software?

Pat in Pattaya

57 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's what I meant with "Subject to some late surprise".

I had this with the granddaughter's Win7 which was activated via some crack.

Let's wait.

"slmgr" says it's permanently activated.

My windows wasn't activated by installing a crack, but by entering a Windows license key, then connecting to Microsoft to validate activation.

I downloaded the Windows installation file from an official Microsoft source

On 4/24/2018 at 11:27 AM, ravip said:

Would these activation keys (bought from the eBay) work if you change computers?

Interesting thought.

I have 4 computers all using original licensed Windows 10 software. 

After installing and activating the first Windows 10, I then tried to activate the second installation with the same product key as the first. It wouldn't allow me to do that. 

I believe the product key is attached to the computer. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2018 at 1:53 PM, KneeDeep said:

If so, why did the watermark appear?

I think they used a well known tool to activate, which either timed out after six months or was discovered by Defender.

Please read post #18 again and i think you missed the link :

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10

..and you missed the point: Clean legit Window 10 will have watermark if not activated.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:51 AM, KittenKong said:

I like JIB and buy nearly all my parts there.

However, why did you not get an SSD for the operating system? That would make a massive improvement to the general speed of the PC. I'm amazed that they didnt suggest it. Price would be around 1500-4000 depending on size and quality, and a 120Gb drive would be large enough for most users, assuming that you only put the OS and programmes on it and leave all data on the other drive. A 240Gb drive would be luxury. Installing it would not take long as most free drive imaging tools will move the operating system to the new drive automatically for you. Obviously it would have been neater to install Windows fresh to the SSD at the time of building it, but no big deal to have to move it now.

If you do video editing, SSD is a must, which is very much faster than HDD. i've

just bought a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD at JIB for 6290B.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:33 AM, petedk said:

Interesting thought.

After installing and activating the first Windows 10, I then tried to activate the second installation with the same product key as the first. It wouldn't allow me to do that. 

Please see: https://pureinfotech.com/how-activation-works-windows-10-digital-entitlement-vs-product-key/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

Please read post #18 again and i think you missed the link :

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10

..and you missed the point: Clean legit Window 10 will have watermark if not activated.

Actually I didn't miss it, but was confused by some statements.

i.e. Why you paid someone 400 baht to install Windows 10 Pro without it being activated. You can do that yourself in minutes.

and

Why did the watermark only appear after ten months when the expected period is one month?

Which is what made me think that they applied a temporary activation method.

On 4/25/2018 at 12:18 PM, jenny2017 said:

Not with W 10. Your license will turn into a digital one and if linked to an MS account your license will always be valid. Of course not if it's an organisation's key.

KMS Pico.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:33 AM, petedk said:

Interesting thought.

Each product key is only for ONE computer. And when activated, W10 takes note of your hardware. You can change say a disk drive or other minor part, but if you change mobo or CPU, you must contact Mr Gates.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Each product key is only for ONE computer. And when activated, W10 takes note of your hardware. You can change say a disk drive or other minor part, but if you change mobo or CPU, you must contact Mr Gates.

He left Microsoft a number of years ago, in case you didn't notice.

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2561 at 2:41 PM, robblok said:

Windows 10 really is not hard to install, normally it includes almost all drivers. There are not that many programs to install after windows 10.

What about 'open source' stuff that appears to be exactly the same as Word, PowerPoint and Excel?

My understanding is that they all work very well, basically free and totally legal.

Comments please.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What about 'open source' stuff that appears to be exactly the same as Word, PowerPoint and Excel?

My understanding is that they all work very well, basically free and totally legal.

Comments please.

I have clients using it.. i still use the word and excel that i pay for legally as I use it business like and like to have all the options and compatibility. Its said google docs works real good too.  I am excel freak (accountant you know)

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Comments please.

Open Office worked a treat for me, all files can be saved in MS Office format, and it is easy to get used to.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for the hint on SSD.

I will wait until this new fresh systems gets slow :biggrin:

WHY WAIT?

I am surprised that JIB do not put SSD as standard in a new build. Once you have W10 on the SSD it will boot up in maybe 30 seconds as opposed to a minute from a HHD. What can you do in those 30 seconds is only your business. I have an i5,  8GB RAM,  128GB SSD for W10, and two 256GBs for data. It flies, and I do a lot of music production on it no problem.

Edited by wgdanson

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What can you do in those 30 seconds is only your business.

As an early retiree I hope to have another 15 to 20 years.

So for now the 30 seconds don't steal much from my precious time :biggrin:

• Like 1

Pat in Pattaya,

I am average on a computer or decent but by no means would I class myself as smart or expert and I had no problems installing Windows in the step by step process offered once your installation key arrives after purchase. Opening an account with e bay or Amazon is easy and painless, that's why they have millions of customers because it is a simple process.

I always ONLY BUY REGISTERED legal downloads and/or CDs as they used to be for installing new programmes such as Windows. You don't pay yearly for Windows, it is a one-off cost and when updates come around, it is as simple as a yes/No click on the button asking if you wish to install updates. When you have copy software, this is when you get caught out when the manufacturer comes out with an update and you have an unregistered copy.

• Like 2

They had a report that hackers were using pcs and phones in Thailand to mine bitcoin.  This usually comes with the online cracking programs that installs who knows what on your pc.

1)You can download free original w10 from microsoft with a android system or use firefox with a app to make it look like its a android. (useragent switcher).

2) use a usb drive and download create w7 bootable drive.  Works with W10.

3) to register you can utube.. activate w10 without serials and software.. takes a couple of mins to do.  Or what another poster said kmspico.

Result is permantly activated windows that updates.

If your pc installs a updated w10 build just do step 3 again.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2018 at 1:24 PM, Pat in Pattaya said:

Ok, thanks. Thing is I have never bought anything from eBay before, don't have an account.

You can order the registration keys on Lazada as well. Also windows ready to install.

See: https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.my_wishlist.search.2.7eb46108ehRFPH&q=windows 10 home&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=windows 10 home_1_1

On 4/10/2018 at 1:25 PM, worgeordie said:

Just the other day I bought 2 Win 10 Pro licenses of Ebay UK 

2.50 Sterling each,both registered ,no problem,why would anyone

want to spend 4,000 THB for a copy. 

regards Worgeordie

I'd be VERY wary of such a deal. I tried that one time from an eBay member who appeared to be in good standing, turned out to be a ripoff - when I went to register using the key provided, the return message was the key had already been used. What's that old saying? "If it seems too good to be true . . ."

BTW, a quick Google search provided many vendors selling at right around 4k baht. I guess that's the price of a clear conscience and an absolutely valid product key.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

They had a report that hackers were using pcs and phones in Thailand to mine bitcoin.  This usually comes with the online cracking programs that installs who knows what on your pc.

1)You can download free original w10 from microsoft with a android system or use firefox with a app to make it look like its a android. (useragent switcher).

2) use a usb drive and download create w7 bootable drive.  Works with W10.

3) to register you can utube.. activate w10 without serials and software.. takes a couple of mins to do.  Or what another poster said kmspico.

Result is permantly activated windows that updates.

If your pc installs a updated w10 build just do step 3 again.

This was the Opening post:

No doubt this has been covered before on here many times down the years, but anyway I have just purchased a new notebook just a HP 15 Notebook jobbie. When buying a new 'pc' in the past I have always just got copy windows circa Bt400 but this time I'm thinking about doing it properly and installing original windows (10) which I believe is around 4k baht?

But is it worth it? Apart from not having to keep seeing a pop up telling you that this isn't original software what are the other main benefits? Also, how long is the license for? And would I need to do anything in the future like renew or update, etc? Pardon my ignorance, I'm very raw with things like this.

Thanks for any help/advice.

PiP

And the OP says he is very raw with things like this, you think he will be able to follow your instructions which are ' technical '  in terms.

Without being difficult,I don't think your way is particularly easy for the not so ' technically minded '

Free yourself from Microsoft fatware at no cost. You can have Ubuntu, Linux Mint or a number of variants as an OS for nothing. Libre Writer and Libre Calc IMHO are just as good as MS Word or Excel.

Microsoft lost  me with the abortion called Windows Vista.  It baffles me how normally sensible people persist with an operating system that:

1/ Is the favoured target of every hacker on the planet.

2/ Harvests personal data without even asking.

3/ Has the arrogance to install updates without even asking if one wants them or not.

4/ Charges a premium for a triumph of marketing over substance.

I have had Linux and Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop for 6 years now. Have never had a virus. IMHO people who buy Windows are masochists.

49 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

This was the Opening post:

No doubt this has been covered before on here many times down the years, but anyway I have just purchased a new notebook just a HP 15 Notebook jobbie. When buying a new 'pc' in the past I have always just got copy windows circa Bt400 but this time I'm thinking about doing it properly and installing original windows (10) which I believe is around 4k baht?

But is it worth it? Apart from not having to keep seeing a pop up telling you that this isn't original software what are the other main benefits? Also, how long is the license for? And would I need to do anything in the future like renew or update, etc? Pardon my ignorance, I'm very raw with things like this.

Thanks for any help/advice.

PiP

And the OP says he is very raw with things like this, you think he will be able to follow your instructions which are ' technical '  in terms.

Without being difficult,I don't think your way is particularly easy for the not so ' technically minded '

Wasnt intended directly at the op more in reply to the other posters that there isnt any need to download cracked versions and to pay for a key that could be dodgy and expire.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Free yourself from Microsoft fatware at no cost. You can have Ubuntu, Linux Mint or a number of variants as an OS for nothing. Libre Writer and Libre Calc IMHO are just as good as MS Word or Excel.

Microsoft lost  me with the abortion called Windows Vista.  It baffles me how normally sensible people persist with an operating system that:

1/ Is the favoured target of every hacker on the planet.

2/ Harvests personal data without even asking.

3/ Has the arrogance to install updates without even asking if one wants them or not.

4/ Charges a premium for a triumph of marketing over substance.

I have had Linux and Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop for 6 years now. Have never had a virus. IMHO people who buy Windows are masochists.

You definatly need to comb through all the win 10 settings.  Unless you setup the pc yourself. Some default settings have given windows permission to take data from your pc.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I have clients using it.. i still use the word and excel that i pay for legally as I use it business like and like to have all the options and compatibility. Its said google docs works real good too.  I am excel freak (accountant you know)

Ahh... an accountant... 10 different ways to count Dutch Euros (just kidding).

Edited by scorecard

10 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

You definatly need to comb through all the win 10 settings.  Unless you setup the pc yourself. Some default settings have given windows permission to take data from your pc.

It does tend to beg the question of why a purchaser should have to hunt through the settings to achieve this.

• Thanks 1