No Wine So It's Margarita Time...

Greenside

....or it would be if Makro kept the El Cheapo Tequila in stock any more.  I forget the name, but the bottle was topped with a silly red plastic sombrero and despite selling for about half the price of real tequila it made a pretty acceptable margarita, improving to delicious after the second or third.

I haven't looked around to see if anyone else carries anything like this so if you've got a lead, please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickthailand said:

ole tequilla at rimping  395thb

That's the one I think.  Thanks :smile:

22 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Maybe keep shopping.

A more expensive tequila I like is priced:  Tesco and local bottle shop = 920 -930.  Rimping = 1150. 

I've had tequila of all sorts and while there's no doubt that the classier stuff is better as a shot, when sharing a glass with Triple Sec and a lot of lime juice the extra 700 baht doesn't make itself felt so I'll remain a cheap charlie on this one, thanks all the same.

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Greenside and others... what is your mix recipe?...

Fresh lime juice: 1 measure

Triple Sec: 1/2 to 3/4 measure depending on how sharp you like it

Tequila: 1¼ to 1½ measure depending on brand and how many you intend to consume

Shake with ice.  No salt.

This is pretty standard - never use a mix, juice from a bottle and substitute Cointreau for the Triple Sec if you are using Amexpat's brand of tequila...

3 hours ago, Greenside said:

the extra 700 baht doesn't make itself felt so I'll remain a cheap charlie on this one, thanks all the same.

Uh, the purpose was to show the hefty markup at Rimping.  You are quite welcome. 

I agree that while there is a difference in taste, it isn't worth 700 baht.  Next morning you may feel differently though. 

• Like 2

I seem to remember the OK brand(s) are about 890 baht at Makro.

Nothing surprises me about Rimping's pricing except the occasional great special offer, but I rarely go since shopping for a family there would break the bank as far as I'm concerned.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Ole and the other budget brand seem to have disappeared from Rimping and I checked Big C and Topps with no luck this week.  Anyone seen a stockist?

You'll have to change to a Vodka cocktail.

Red Cock Vodka from all Tesco Lotus stores at 160bht/bottle is drinkable in a Vodka Gimlet.