Double tragedy in Tak as accident blackspot claims two fatal crashes

webfact

Double tragedy as accident blackspot claims two fatal crashes

By SOMJIT RUNGJAMRASRASSAMEE 
THE NATION

a4c0bf412cd023b457308cf2f356264a.jpeg

TWO FATAL bus accidents have taken place at exactly the same spot in Tak province within a 12-hour period.

Victims of the second tragedy were actually officials inspecting the scene of the first accident, which caused six deaths and injured at least 30 people late on Monday night. 

a58b76f1b0af0fdb9c54210b4aaf79d4.jpeg

“The second accident killed one and injured two others on Tuesday morning,” said Pol Colonel Samoraphum Faikhieo, the superintendent of Tak – Kamphaeng Phet highway station. 

He said Manida Thankijrungroj, a female labour official, was killed instantly in the second incident, while Pol Captain Sanya Phumkomsan, a highway official, and another man were injured. 

5c0b0085b899fc3dca527c68e388de26.jpeg

According to Samoraphum, the first accident involved a bus carrying Myanmar workers . Officials from various agencies then gathered to inspect the scene and gather evidence. 

“As officials were working at the spot, another bus sped down a hill, lost control, banged into a highway-police vehicle before crashing further into traffic barriers,” Samoraphum said. 

He said officials began running for their lives when they saw the bus coming down the hill – but for some, the vehicle had been travelling too fast for them to get out of the way.

b26d65e3d29941cadea94814f53acb4d.jpeg

Samoraphum said the bus driver was now being detained for interrogation and faced further legal proceedings. 

“This bus was returning from Mae Sot, where it dropped off its Myanmar passengers,” he said. 

As of press time, 12 victims of the first bus accident remained hospitalised with severe injuries. 

a530b316c1b7c6631321b58e515ff0aa.jpeg

“Some 18 others were released from hospitals after receiving treatment,” Samoraphum said. 

The bus involved in the first accident had been taking Myanmar workers from Tak to Chachoengsao when the driver lost control and crashed down a roadside hill on Monday night.

Pol Capt Kiarttisak Boonplong, deputy inspector of Mae Thor police, said that accident happened at 10.51pm on the Mae Sot-Tak road at the kilometre marker No 68+200 in Tambon Mae Thor in Muang district.

Bus driver Pisit Thanathakpasit, 40, told police he could not slow down at the bend. 

He said he attempted to drive the bus against the roadside concrete barrier to slow it down but it eventually plunged off the road and crashed about five metres down the hillside. Police suspect the driver was speeding and his brakes failed.

Late last month, a chartered double-decker bus taking 47 registered Myanmar workers to Pathum Thani province caught fire in Tak’s Muang district, killing 20 people who were trapped inside.

Rescuers said the 20 badly burned bodies were found piled up on one another near the exit doors.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30342939

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-11

I guess there was not signage or emergency warning  at least 1 kilomètre form the scene to advise drivers of the obstacle....as usual !

Probably the police car  was  parked just a few meters from the personnel on the road... Emergency lights on ?

On the photo the lights are still OFF and the car on the road shoulder . 2 cops on the road and no other car with lights to protect the scene and we can see far away.

But that is just speculation ... Only the bus driver fault 100 %

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

I guess there was not signage or emergency warning  at least 1 kilomètre form the scene to advise drivers of the obstacle....as usual !

Probably the police car  was  parked just a few meters from the personnel on the road... Emergency lights on ?

On the photo the lights are still OFF and the car on the road shoulder . 2 cops on the road and no other car with lights to protect the scene and we can see far away.

But that is just speculation ... Only the bus driver fault 100 %

When I was instructing trainee police officers nearly forty years ago, the first rule of dealing with a collision was PRESERVE THE SCENE. This meant concentrating your efforts on ensuring there were no more collisions, by signage, stopping traffic etc, even before rendering first aid or rescue to the casualties of the collision, and making sure that was the case for the duration of the operation. That message obviously has not reached Thailand yet, where stupid is as stupid does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep..I was once in the middle of a horror trip and was screaming at the top of my lungs.."Slow Down" (in Thai)

The other mentally deranged lunatics (all Thai) were screaming"speed up!"

Goodness graciousness me..the only time I have ever sworn in public at a murder of Thais.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“As officials were working at the spot, another bus sped down a hill, lost control, banged into a highway-police vehicle before crashing further into traffic barriers,” Samoraphum said. 

He said officials began running for their lives when they saw the bus coming down the hill – but for some, the vehicle had been travelling too fast for them to get out of the way.

My wife is sent out for inspection when a major accident has accrued, and sometimes she sent me some pic's. When I saw that she was standing out on the road among the traffic, I gave her ha real hard time when she came home regarding to her personal safety. Actually, first time I informed her, second time I was more harsh. This will be a fine example to not believe that some cones will protect people working at the scene.

It's sad that people had to put their lives. However, I hope this will be a wake up call (now when officials had to go down) to actually enforce the law and find unsuitable drivers and vehicles before accident happens. My guess (and hope) is that it starts at that spot. I would not mind if they stop speeding busses and beat the crap of the drivers.

well, years ago (maybe still at present) you could buy a driver's license.

So these drivers never learnt to check the bus before starting a tour. And they never were trained to tackle difficult situations.

It's the price passengers are paying. And a shame on govt for doing nothing to stop carnage and to establish law!

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Good God!

I guess that the best policy is to flee whenever you see ANY bus coming down a hill..

My condolences to the latest victims of this awful,murderous,insane,stupidity.

You reap what you sow NEXT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JOC said:

As usual the roads.....brakes.....accident blackspots are blamed for the accidents...

Look at the road in the OP.......In perfect condition and with two lanes in each direction...

Poor driving skills and poor vehicle maintenance are the only culprits here.....:coffee1:

It's only the drivers fault. A good driver can feel if something is wrong with the bus, BEFORE entering a hill.