Put wallets and purses in larger carry on bags and remove temptation, Suvarnabhumi airport official tells passengers

webfact

Put wallets and purses in larger carry on bags and remove temptation, Suvarnabhumi airport official tells passengers

2pm.jpg

Suvarnabhumi airport //File photo

A senior Suvarnabhumi airport official has suggested that passengers put wallets and purses in larger carry on bags when using the X-Ray scanning machines before flights.

"If you can that would be helpful", said Kittipong Kittikhajorn. "That would help to remove temptation from staff".

Kittipong, the deputy director of operations at Bangkok's main airport, was speaking to Channel 7 TV news after high profile cases in which two thieves - one female and one male - stole money from passenger's.

They have received the top punishment available for the charge of theft at an airport.

Kittipong said that when all is said and done an airport is not about its shops and how it looks - it is about safety and security.

A member of the Thai public interviewed said that she was taking the theft cases seriously. She never used to lock her bags before the scanning process but now she did.

The thieves were reportedly handed seven year sentences by the court. 

Source CH 7 TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-11
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

Why not make sure that passengers going in the bodyscanner can see what's happening on the belt?

It is an X-Ray machine, meaning it needs to be encased, thus, making everything visible will be quite tough.

Always a smart move to immediately after security, check all your belongings before you move away from the area.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lupin said:

"If you can that would be helpful", said Kittipong Kittikhajorn. "That would help to remove temptation from staff".

mmmkay .. how about removing staff that are tempted

Mr. Kittipong from the airport authority knows well that theft from check-in luggage also happens fairly often, so his advice is very inappropriate and gives no guarantee of security of personal belongings. 

Where do they find these guys? Sorry silly question, nepotism and tea money for promotions rules in many government agencies.  

In fact I'm sure I have seen notices telling passengers not to put valuables in check-in bags.

Further is passengers take his advice and valuables are stolen from check-in bags the passengers wouldn't know about it until they reach their destination and eventually open their check-in bags, way too late to report the matter to the police, possibly even in another country. Would the RTP or AOT be interested? Very doubtful. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

The staff should be looking out for something suspicious, not something valuable.

something valuable is always suspicious  -_-

(oh and i think seven years for a theft is absolutely crazy. Why not just apply the death penalty for crossing the road while the signal is read or for dropping a cigarette butt on the beach. A weird hypocrite world that is in 2018......)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, lupin said:

mmmkay .. how about removing staff that are tempted

Why wait? How about your acting as a consultant since you know exactly which staff will be tempted and more importantly which will act on that temptation? Your ace expertise is sorely needed. Could make good money, since it happens worldwide. Oh--you'll need to remove the passengers too.

K. Kittipong's advice is commonplace, nothing new.

According to a report by the NBC affiliate in Miami, checkpoint thefts at the local airport can happen up to twice a week. The most thefts are attributed to fellow passengers.

--How to Protect Yourself Against Airport Checkpoint Theft

A TSA agent convicted of stealing more than $800,000 worth of goods from travelers said this type of theft is “commonplace” among airport security. Almost 400 TSA officers have been fired for stealing from passengers since 2003.

--https://www.rt.com/usa/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It is an X-Ray machine, meaning it needs to be encased, thus, making everything visible will be quite tough.

Always a smart move to immediately after security, check all your belongings before you move away from the area.

When i'm standing in the bodyscanner my view is the opposite site of the luggagebelt.. I don't like that, they should turn that bodyscanner so we can see if there's a staffmember touching the luggage.

• Like 1

typical thai thinking, blame the owners not the ones stealing from them, its the same in many thai work places, they steal whatever they want and get away with it, airports, post office etc, stealing is part of their jobs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Mr. Kittipong from the airport authority knows well that theft from check-in luggage also happens fairly often, so his advice is very inappropriate and gives no guarantee of security of personal belongings. 

Where do they find these guys? Sorry silly question, nepotism and tea money for promotions rules in many government agencies.  

In fact I'm sure I have seen notices telling passengers not to put valuables in check-in bags.

Further is passengers take his advice and valuables are stolen from check-in bags the passengers wouldn't know about it until they reach their destination and eventually open their check-in bags, way too late to report the matter to the police, possibly even in another country. Would the RTP or AOT be interested? Very doubtful. 

Actually...he said “carry on”.  I think he’s referring to the people that take off their expensive watches and wallets and just place them in the bin to go through the x-ray scanner.  So, he’s suggesting putting them inside your carry on luggage before placing it on the scanner belt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ezflip said:

Because hiring honest people and giving them a good salary is just so damn hard.

yes, it is. the world over.

why do you think almost every bar and restaurant and most retail outlets in many countries have cameras on the till.

its not to catch a once in a blue moon hold up, its to confirm staff are properly ringing things up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

In other words the passengers should treat all Thai airport security staff as potential thieves. 

passengers should treat all airport staff as potential thieves. everywhere.

the advice in the op is valid, removing temptation is the best way to prevent thievery.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

What a lazy a**** excuse to blame the passengers to protect the image of Suvarnabumi staff..... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Good. I hope all staff working at airports get to hear about that sentence. Should deter the tempted somewhat.

The staff should be looking out for something suspicious, not something valuable.

Something tells me the airport staff will never hear about any issues.