What charity work can I do to give back to the community?

ubonr1971

If I want to partake in some part time charity work to give back to the community does anyone have any ideas what I could do. i.e. what are the common charities that are in all cities? The only one that I've noticed is the red cross. 

Is it legal whilst on a marriage ext of stay?

thanks

Jackdd is correct. Thais consider volunteering work. If you had a retirement visa (visa police please ignore the generic term) you would be in violation of your visa to volunteer. Get a work permit and you're good, but you would lose the retirement visa.

I'm not sure about the visa based on marriage, but I believe the same rule would apply.

2 minutes ago, Tagaa said:

Jackdd is correct. Thais consider volunteering work. If you had a retirement visa (visa police please ignore the generic term) you would be in violation of your visa to volunteer. Get a work permit and you're good, but you would lose the retirement visa.

I'm not sure about the visa based on marriage, but I believe the same rule would apply.

Everytime I read the discussion about a work permit needed for volunteering in Thailand I'm reminded of  a movie scene I love from  "True Grit"

The first 25 times..

2 things to consider in any volunteer situation IMHO:

1. Does the Thai organization or school have any track record in obtaining volunteer work permits or are you going to be their first non-Thai volunteer.

2. Would you be a credentialed skilled volunteer or are you someone who (in all good faith) just wants to help out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Everytime I read the discussion about a work permit needed for volunteering in Thailand I'm reminded of  a movie scene I love from  "True Grit"

The first 25 times..

The original True Grit with the Duke was way better.  Also the clip is way too long.  Watched the first minute and turned it off as your point is not evident.  Cut to the chase!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

The original True Grit with the Duke was way better.  Also the clip is way too long.  Watched the first minute and turned it off as your point is not evident.  Cut to the chase!

To each his own.   I've seen both.

Your impatience is not my problem or concern.  If  you'd allowed yourself another 1:40 you would have seen the point ot at least I think most would have that ability anyway. :smile:

Most of the orphanages have lists of items they need on their web or Facebook pages. Some people feel better donating goods than cash which is understandable. You could quietly advertise and collect goods from donors in your area and deliver them personally. I have seen posts for this in my area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Clean the beach

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Sadly, a pointless exercise :sad:.

I used to do this whilst walking my dogs every morning (concentrating on the broken glass), but the situation never improved and so eventually, I gave up :sad:.

go to www.tolo-thailand.com for a look-see. schools are currently out. we provide materials to assist  indigent children in 12 schools. we always prefer the donors to go with us. they can then distribute shoes, uniforms, sports equipment, food,  school supplies and other materials etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Your impatience is not my problem or concern.  If  you'd allowed yourself another 1:40 you would have seen the point ot at least I think most would have that ability anyway. :smile:

gotta say, I watched the whole clip and did not get the point either or what it had to do with volunteering?? Maybe if it had been in some way amusing??? 

1 hour ago, sledpull said:

Thailand misses out on the expertise of many retired expats with their restrictions on volunteerism! Many opportunities to teach leadership, creativity, management and entrepreneurship with talented expats! It would be a double-win for Thailand and the expats! 

totally agree with this. it would require an organized co-ordinated effort from a government dept. that is the problem

19 hours ago, Tagaa said:

No, you can get a work permit with a visa based on marriage.

1 hour ago, sledpull said:

Thailand misses out on the expertise of many retired expats with their restrictions on volunteerism! Many opportunities to teach leadership, creativity, management and entrepreneurship with talented expats! It would be a double-win for Thailand and the expats! 

But it would also open the doors for people who work here illegally. Then suddenly all the english teachers without work permit would officially be volunteers and be paid cash in hand.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But it would also open the doors for people who work here illegally. Then suddenly all the english teachers without work permit would officially be volunteers and be paid cash in hand.

Volunteers don't get paid. (usually).

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Unfortunately you used up your full 10 seconds which I give people to make their point.  I bet lots of people tune out when you are bloviating at War and Peace length.

Edited by torrzent
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

And singlets/vests/tank tops plus flip flops with bare feet. Armpit hair and feet are ugly

You could always man-groom your pits if that is your cup of tea?  Socks and sandals is definitely a crime against fashion humanity though!

Edited by torrzent
  • Haha 1