Police blanket Pattaya’s roads for Songkran

Rimmer

Police blanket Pattaya’s roads for Songkran

image.png

PATTAYA:--Songkran is well underway in Thailand and Pattaya police are on the streets trying to keep people alive.

Traffic Division Chief Pol. Maj. Orut Sapanon said April 3 that more tourists are expected in Pattaya this year, as 2017’s Thai New Year was muted due to the royal mourning period. As such, traffic police have had to step up their game.

Daily checks of all buses, minivans and other public-transport vehicles began on April 1 with drivers being tested for alcohol or drug use.

Checkpoints also have been established throughout the area to check for drunk drivers, motorcyclists without helmets and drivers without licenses – all of which contribute to Thailand’s appalling highway fatality rate during every Songkran.

For the official April 13-15 holiday, all roads will be open with at least two police officers assigned to each major intersection.

Read more http://www.pattayamail.com/news/police-blanket-pattayas-roads-songkran-207163

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-04-13

7 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Checkpoints also have been established throughout the area to check for drunk drivers, motorcyclists without helmets and drivers without licenses – all of which contribute to Thailand’s appalling highway fatality rate during every Songkran.

Drunk drivers undoubtedly contribute to the fatality rate. I would have said though that jumping red lights, speeding, reckless driving and a total lack of enforcement in those areas, is a more significant contributor than motorcyclists without a license, which of course IS heavily enforced and produces lots of fine monies.

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

Really, I was out and about last night from 10:00 PM to around 01:00 AM on my rented Snoopy and not a cop was to be seen

Maybe they are just blanketing Pattaya during the day time !  You know,  the time most drunks are on the road 

Soon to be entered in the Guinness Book of Records as the tiniest and most ineffective blanket ever created.

• Like 2

Yesterday late afternoon I drove from  Ambassador Jomtien to the big Makro on Sukhumvit road

there where traffic cops at every intersection...the traffic was bad..

Then the reason ,heading in the other direction was a V.I.P convoy of Mercedes Benz and support vehicles.

15 hours ago, johng said:

Yesterday late afternoon I drove from  Ambassador Jomtien to the big Makro on Sukhumvit road

there where traffic cops at every intersection...the traffic was bad..

Then the reason ,heading in the other direction was a V.I.P convoy of Mercedes Benz and support vehicles.

The convoy was speeding no doubt!