Older Persons Budget, UK, how much?

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

On the subject of renting:

are there issues that the returning expat faces by not having been UK resident for some years, presumably agents and utility suppliers will check the credit history and there wont be any, that kind of thing?

Not so sure that would be a problem with a letting agent, it would be adviseable to shop around. When I rented my flat before coming over here they did not ask for any references. It was done through one of the main estate agents in Barnsley  and they asked for 6 months rent up front, after the 6 months they just took the rent on a monthly basis.

Nobody is going to be denied utilities, even those that don't pay are just put on a meter.

Another piece of advice if renting, I found a very good portal for advertising my vacant properties called 'Openrent'. Properties advertised through this agent are not allowed to charge agency fees aside from a £20 max. referencing charge. You will find them on all the main portals, Right move, Zoopla, gumtree and a few others along with their own site. This could save many hundreds of pounds not using a high street letting agent, but may of course limit your choice.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not so sure that would be a problem with a letting agent, it would be adviseable to shop around. When I rented my flat before coming over here they did not ask for any references. It was done through one of the main estate agents in Barnsley  and they asked for 6 months rent up front, after the 6 months they just took the rent on a monthly basis.

Nobody is going to be denied utilities, even those that don't pay are just put on a meter.

Glad I never used that agent.

I would want my tenants fully vetted even if they are paying the whole sum in advance. Furthermore it is now a legal requirement to obtain right of residency proof for all tenants.

Edited by Tofer

This may have been mentioned back somewhere, but I'm too lazy to read through 7 pages.

However, I'm not British so can't comment, but I suggest you read Mobi's blog. A few threads back.

He discusses access to your NHS when he repatriated, and he also stated when his wife and kid got their visa both were eligible for for benefits as soon as they entered the country.

He also describes renting a house, and (I can't remember if he gives detailed figures) on general cost of living.

Sorry if this is a repeat of someone else's suggestion, but still worth a look

• Like 1
20 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I think you need to check some facts. None-resident (outside of the EU) for over 2 years now disqualifies expats from FREE NHS care.

I do agree that food is no longer cheap in Thailand, but it depends what you eat, where you eat and where you shop.

Just where does it say 'two years'?    Its all a bloody load of rubbish anyway,some crap over the years,arrested at airport for not informing,  fight for pension   its in there somewhere   crap1 crap crap..and more crap from you      If this guy is ex forces they get priority housing

Edited by altcar bob
21 hours ago, partington said:

More for other people's reassurance than to convince you, as you are evidently one of those people who are unable to acknowledge an error, this is  the third independent written account of the rules for NHS eligibility and returning from abroad that shows your beliefs are incorrect.

It is from Age Uk , the UK's largest charity organisation focused on helping older people. A large part of their work involves giving advice, and this is from their factsheet on returning from abroad, updated in December 2017, that is four months ago. It is in full agreement with the official UK government and  official NHS websites quoted separately before which you also choose not to believe.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf

5 Doctors, dentists and hospital treatment

The UK has a residency based healthcare system. This means provision of NHS treatment is based on being ordinarily residentin the UK, not on your nationality, payment of UK taxes or national insurance contributions, owning a property, being registered with a GP or having an NHS number.

A British citizen who resumes settled residence in the UK is immediately entitled to free NHS care [my emphasis].

Yes already read that thanks.

The trouble is he will still be subject to the test (if you read the relevant clauses).

The current time period for applying the test for returnees is having been away for only 2 years. Although that isn't mentioned, and doesn't seem to have any mandatory time period, it is the starting point they use so after 22 years they might want to ask a few questions.

Being otherwise self supporting he should pass after handing over financial details, family ties etc, etc.

I hope he is accepted, but they often do not make the process easy.

I'm just warning that he might not find things straightforward as you insist they are.

Better to be prepared, than listen to barrack room B/S.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
4 hours ago, altcar bob said:

Just where does it say 'two years'?    Its all a bloody load of rubbish anyway,some crap over the years,arrested at airport for not informing,  fight for pension   its in there somewhere   crap1 crap crap..and more crap from you      If this guy is ex forces they get priority housing

I don't know the guy. He wants to buy a property, so that is not a problem.

I have read several reports that say the current "away time" to apply the test is only 2 years, and the information people have provided only states that the test might be required in certain circumstances (like his being away for 22 years and no family in the UK etc).

I hope he has the documentation they could ask for if they do ask questions, so forewarned is better than a surprise. Better to sort it out as quickly as possible if the need arises.

The authorities will be as skeptical as I am, why go to live in Lancaster after 22 years in Thailand?

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yes already read that thanks.

The trouble is he will still be subject to the test (if you read the relevant clauses).

The current time period for applying the test for returnees is having been away for only 2 years. Although that isn't mentioned, and doesn't seem to have any mandatory time period, it is the starting point they use so after 22 years they might want to ask a few questions.

Being otherwise self supporting he should pass after handing over financial details, family ties etc, etc.

I hope he is accepted, but they often do not make the process easy.

I'm just warning that he might not find things straightforward as you insist they are.

Better to be prepared, than listen to barrack room B/S.

It is about time you provided some evidence for your claims. The two year period you refer to does not exist, and the word "immediately" in the above quote is unambiguous.

I won't contribute any further to this except to say I find your attitude utterly baffling.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I don't know the guy. He wants to buy a property, so that is not a problem.

I have read several reports that say the current "away time" to apply the test is only 2 years, and the information people have provided only states that the test might be required in certain circumstances (like his being away for 22 years and no family in the UK etc).

I hope he has the documentation they could ask for if they do ask questions, so forewarned is better than a surprise. Better to sort it out as quickly as possible if the need arises.

The authorities will be as skeptical as I am, why go to live in Lancaster after 22 years in Thailand?

"The authorities will be as skeptical as I am, why go to live in Lancaster after 22 years in Thailand?".

The decision to live in Lancaster is outside of the remit of this thread so it doesn't matter that you are sceptical of something you don't understand. I also find it distinctly odd that you think the authorities might also be sceptical if an expat were to return there after a 22 year absence. Is such a thing disallowed or frowned upon or is Lancaster the country's focal point for nefarious returning expats and as a result has developed a reputation of sorts!

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

"The authorities will be as skeptical as I am, why go to live in Lancaster after 22 years in Thailand?".

The decision to live in Lancaster is outside of the remit of this thread so it doesn't matter that you are sceptical of something you don't understand. I also find it distinctly odd that you think the authorities might also be sceptical if an expat were to return there after a 22 year absence. Is such a thing disallowed or frowned upon or is Lancaster the country's focal point for nefarious returning expats and as a result has developed a reputation of sorts!

id say anyone wanting to return to Lancaster wants their head examining

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, Tofer said:

Glad I never used that agent.

I would want my tenants fully vetted even if they are paying the whole sum in advance. Furthermore it is now a legal requirement to obtain right of residency proof for all tenants.

And by the same token I am glad they are not all like you, how do you vet someone that has no history. Fairly obvious what sort of landlord you would be.

Right of residency is something else and a moot point in respect of anyone with a British passport as the OP has indicated.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

And by the same token I am glad they are not all like you, how do you vet someone that has no history. Fairly obvious what sort of landlord you would be.

Right of residency is something else and a moot point in respect of anyone with a British passport as the OP has indicated.

I sent messages to two agents yesterday asking what sort of problems renting my friend might expect having been outside the UK for so long. One wrote back and sad no problem, as long as there's a UK passport and bank account that will be enough for the vetting company to get on with. The second wrote back and said he would need a guarantor - I said he had a high net worth bank account and would be willing to pay 6 months in advance, they wrote back and said, no exceptions! 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I sent messages to two agents yesterday asking what sort of problems renting my friend might expect having been outside the UK for so long. One wrote back and sad no problem, as long as there's a UK passport and bank account that will be enough for the vetting company to get on with. The second wrote back and said he would need a guarantor - I said he had a high net worth bank account and would be willing to pay 6 months in advance, they wrote back and said, no exceptions! 

Obviously still different perspectives. Not surprising if the agents are being influenced by the owners.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I have a mate working in UK getting £150 a week pay, out of which he pays £100 a week rent.

He has to live on £50 per week to cover all other expenses besides rent.

If your mate is only getting 150 pounds a week he is only working part time.

If he is working full time ( 40 hours ) he is only getting half the minimum wage.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I have a mate working in UK getting £150 a week pay, out of which he pays £100 a week rent.

He has to live on £50 per week to cover all other expenses besides rent.

Something very wrong here - maybe someone is telling Porkies -- £150/week is less than the minimum wage ----

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes, you're correct.

He works as a council slave.

Even the lowly council road sweeper gets paid more than 7 pounds per hour.

So as previously stated porkies are being told by someone.

If he is getting such a low amount he is part time, and eligible for several benefits to top up his wages.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Even the lowly council road sweeper gets paid more than 7 pounds per hour.

So as previously stated porkies are being told by someone.

If he is getting such a low amount he is part time, and eligible for several benefits to top up his wages.

Afraid not.

He was one of those that were on the dole and was forced to work for the dole amount or get nothing.

So he gets no additional benefits and works full time.

• Confused 1
22 hours ago, partington said:

It is about time you provided some evidence for your claims. The two year period you refer to does not exist, and the word "immediately" in the above quote is unambiguous.

I won't contribute any further to this except to say I find your attitude utterly baffling.

Clearly you have managed to avoid any dealings with UK authority and know little about it other than quoting stuff from Google...

The "immediately" is qualified by the stipulation the residency test can be used if deemed necessary (reports I have seen say that over two years away is the recommended starting point).

As I said, I hope it all works out easily for him, but he should be well prepared just in case, after 22 years away.

What is so "baffling" about that?

MY last reply to you too.

:wai: