What Laptop?

NoshowJones

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Am I better to buy online? I have always avoided this as buying from a shop, you can always go back and get anything fixed under the warranty. 

I don't fancy all the hassle of having to post it back and wait for ages to have it returned.

I'm not a fan of buying online in Thailand. Had some issues with Lazada etc. InvadeIT, though, was a different experience - great support before and after purchase, no issues customizing as required (owner is a foreigner, which eases communication). Guarantee issues are a plague in Thailand whether one buys online or not. As said, Dell runs a rather efficient support service, which is a level above what other brands offer (and English spoken). Banana IT and such, never again, if I have a choice - staff and service is hit-and-run, any serious complaint gets the run-around. The more game oriented brand (name escapade me) somewhat better.

Posting stuff back and forth rather quick nowadays (with premium, reasonable enough considering price of goods). Waiting for return is more to do with warranties and service centers, which are sub par in Thailand (when items aren't being shipped out of country for repairs).

17 minutes ago, Morch said:

I'm not a fan of buying online in Thailand. Had some issues with Lazada etc. InvadeIT, though, was a different experience - great support before and after purchase, no issues customizing as required (owner is a foreigner, which eases communication). Guarantee issues are a plague in Thailand whether one buys online or not. As said, Dell runs a rather efficient support service, which is a level above what other brands offer (and English spoken). Banana IT and such, never again, if I have a choice - staff and service is hit-and-run, any serious complaint gets the run-around. The more game oriented brand (name escapade me) somewhat better.

Posting stuff back and forth rather quick nowadays (with premium, reasonable enough considering price of goods). Waiting for return is more to do with warranties and service centers, which are sub par in Thailand (when items aren't being shipped out of country for repairs).

Very interesting post. Thanks.

3 hours ago, masuk said:

Where can I see DELL products in Chiang Mai?

There should be lots of places Google it. Try this one.

Dell Concept Store

A & A Neo Technology Co. Ltd.
248/55-56 Maneerat Rd., T.Sribhum A.Muang, Chiangmai 50200
Tel: 053-227500 # 116 , 081-884-4833

4 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Have you looked at an intel NUC ? You can plug it in to any screen and you just need a mouse and wirless keyboard. Good for streaming. 

That's interesting, I will take note of it

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Get a Mac, you won't regret it. More expensive but pays for itself in longevity, durability and reliability. After fifteen years of going round in circles with Microsoft the last four, problem-free years with Mac have been a dream. Treat yourself. 

I am that used to Windows and probably set in my computer ways. Maybe I will google it probably only out of curiosity.

11 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

Absolutely agree, I had a problem with the Graphics card on my Dell Desktop (still under warranty), contacted Dell (Bangkok) turned up next day with new card.

Brilliant service.

in saying that Dell is the winner. l.have a Toshiba 7 years old still going 

17 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Get a Mac, you won't regret it. More expensive but pays for itself in longevity, durability and reliability. After fifteen years of going round in circles with Microsoft the last four, problem-free years with Mac have been a dream. Treat yourself. 

Had EXACTLY the same experience and agree 1000%!

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

Had EXACTLY the same experience and agree 1000%!

i own and have owned and repaired windows, linux pc's and macs. most of the issues with windows relate to the bloated operating system trying to support every hardware config under the sun. windows is also prone to numerous trojans and viruses.

linux is more stable even though it supports a ton of hardware and not nearly as prone to trojans/viruses.

mac . aka osx imo is a better operating system than windows. more stable, less issues, way less trojans/viruses. osx is designed to support way less hardware . (macbooks and imacs and mac pros) therefore is far less bloated.

one thing noticed in thailand is i have had many more hardware failures. hard drives die, had to have a motherboard chip replaced on a macbook pro. i believe related to climate / heat. heat is hardwares worst enemy.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, kbb said:

My only advice -- Spend the $$ and get an HDD. 

The speed is wonderful. 

I have one on my Apple & it's absolutely worth every penny. 

You mean an SSD, solid state drive.

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You mean an SSD, solid state drive.

yes. if u want to get more technical . aka more speed, get a laptop that supports pcie ssd drive  (nvme) pcie ssd drives can be multiple times faster than standard sata ssd drives

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's interesting, I will take note of it

21 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Have you looked at an intel NUC ? You can plug it in to any screen and you just need a mouse and wirless keyboard. Good for streaming. 

I have got the i5 version with a 256 SSD using my Samsung 50 '' telly as monitor with a wireless keyboard/mouse. It is GREAT. Got Zen mate VPN so it's like watching TV at home. And the Bein Sport app, Bht200 a month, gives HD footie, no contract so can stop it in the closed season.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I have got the i5 version with a 256 SSD using my Samsung 50 '' telly as monitor with a wireless keyboard/mouse. It is GREAT. Got Zen mate VPN so it's like watching TV at home. And the Bein Sport app, Bht200 a month, gives HD footie, no contract so can stop it in the closed season.

That is great, but I never watch telly, I watch everything I want on my computer screen.

OP, I know this probably isn't what you're after, but it may let you explore some more options. I have recently got myself a new work notebook, Lenovo Yoga i5. The version I got comes with a 250GB SSD M.2 drive, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 14" FHD screen which is also touchscreen. As the SSD is M.2, it still has the bay for a HDD which I installed a 2TB drive. Works great, very fast and robust.

Comes with HDMI so it is plugged into my 27" monitor when at home and is definitely portable enough for work when away.

One downside is that it doesn't have a LAN connection but have utilized the USB-c port (until there are more applications using this) with a USB-c to LAN converter which also has 3 x USB3 ports built in. With all the additions, this goes slightly above your 30,000 baht limit but not by much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Why look at 14 inches when you can see it on 50 in HD

A television is only for watching, of course a 50 ins screen is better for watching a movie, but I prefer my desktop for in my room in the house, and laptop for taking on my motorbike road trips.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 6:11 AM, Dario said:

with 12 MB Ram and a 1TB SATA, but of course, the 1TB SATA won't mach an SSD, so I changed the SATA for the best available 512GB SSD

Small correction: SATA is the connection port between the disk and the motherboard. Both SSDs and HDDs used to connect over this port to the motherboard so saying "a 1TB SATA" could be anything. Some newer SSDs can connect over PCIe (NVMe). External drives usually have internally a SATA to USB conversion.

41 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

OP, I know this probably isn't what you're after, but it may let you explore some more options. I have recently got myself a new work notebook, Lenovo Yoga i5. The version I got comes with a 250GB SSD M.2 drive, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 14" FHD screen which is also touchscreen. As the SSD is M.2, it still has the bay for a HDD which I installed a 2TB drive. Works great, very fast and robust.

Comes with HDMI so it is plugged into my 27" monitor when at home and is definitely portable enough for work when away.

One downside is that it doesn't have a LAN connection but have utilized the USB-c port (until there are more applications using this) with a USB-c to LAN converter which also has 3 x USB3 ports built in. With all the additions, this goes slightly above your 30,000 baht limit but not by much. 

Past the Edit time: Just to add, this also comes with Windows 10 Home 64bit installed.

Edited by chrisinth

On 16/04/2018 at 3:03 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Lenovo or HP...can't go wrong with either. 

It looks like it will be one of these, I already have a small HP and have been very pleased with it. I want a bigger one but my budget is around 30.000 Baht, and I want a large screen no smaller than 15, so that puts the Dell way out of my price range, so yes, Lenovo or HP. 

I like the Lenovo that folds back, has a 15 screen and costs around 24.000Baht. Anyone got any better ideas?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Good advice. Thanks.

I was looking around for a new laptop and checked out most options. In the end went for an Acer Swift 3, 256 gb SSD i3 7100, 8gb DDR4 and full HD IPS screen. Got it for 19,000 including W10. I would have preferred the i5 8550 but a big jump in price for that. Why do you need to spend 30,000?

The Dell XPS and HP Spectre are very nice but well north of 50,000 baht for a similar spec.

You say Acers are unreliable but which ones are reliable? My last one, a Lenovo failed in less than 2 years.

Edited by Henryford

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Looking through everyones advice, I have decided that what I want is a 2-1, at least a 14 screen. and have a budget of up to 30.000 Baht, and will stick with Windows 10. Anyone help?

https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-dell

Advice shops are everywhere. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1