Road accidents much higher than in 2017

webfact

1 hour ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

what a bunch of whining old foreign farts on here....complain complain complain....this is their culture, you don't like it go back to your country.  I choose this country over gang and school shootings of the USA....you take the good with the bad and move on....whining and complaining will get you no where except a grumpy old man attitude!!!

Oh............ you just traded in school shootings for death on the road? 

Being retired could mean, I guess, you are not likely to be a victim of school shootings BUT it will not protect you against death on the road in the kingdom. I hope you made the "smart" choice. :whistling:

2 hours ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

what a bunch of whining old foreign farts on here....complain complain complain....this is their culture, you don't like it go back to your country.  I choose this country over gang and school shootings of the USA....you take the good with the bad and move on....whining and complaining will get you no where except a grumpy old man attitude!!!

It's attitudes like this that are so detrimental. It doesn't have to be a choice. People don't have to just accept road deaths 'cos other countries have bad stuff too. If the authorities did their job, the numbers could be reduced dramatically. 

I hope you never have to deal with the pain of losing someone to something that is very much easily avoidable. Because I can imagine it really sucks. 

10 hours ago, Lungstib said:

The emphasis on culture in my far north village included such impressive bucket throwing that I witnessed 3 motorbikes downed, a girl in her underwear dancing provocatively on the back of a pick-up in the parade to the temple and inebriation to the point of speechless. Many will wake up clueless about what they did yesterday. 

You obviously have not been to a Full Moon party. Most all people the same way. Foreigners the lot.

Quit bashing the people here, and go clean up your own countries back yard

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, markaoffy said:

So motorbike is seized because if an illegal act , drunk driving etc! Seven days later given back and that’s the punishment ! Does the country have any meaningful laws!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They only mean something when they can make a bit of extra income from the tourists... 

• Sad 1

As so many have already printed out: the secondary problem is enforcement of traffic laws.

The PRIMARY problem is that the Thai people are content with things as they are, for whatever reasons, and are not demanding enforcement.

That said, it is after all their country.

Just like the beaches, the palm trees, the tropical weather : it is what it is and we who are visiting can take it or leave it.

Wishing things were different doesn't help. That's why left my country and came here.

Make your choices and live with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim walker said:

Lucky the soldiers were in charge and had their massive crackdown or the death toll might have been worse 

During the last four days, I have done a moderate amount of trundling around the Chiang Rai area (Daddys Taxi has been quite busy) and we took the "in-laws" and assorted Aunts   "on tour" today.

I must have passed dozens of "checkpoints". The only one which was manned was outside the local police station on Friday morning. The copper knows me (not professionally) and waved me through.

I have seen the aftermath of three accidents, including a car which appeared to have rolled several times down a bank into a dry paddy field, coming to rest on its wheels. There have been countless white painted outlines of motorcycles in all the usual places, along with numerous bent crash barriers.

Edited by JAG

The drunk driver who caused this accident killed 2 people and injured 6 more. He was charged with 2 counts of second murder and sentenced to 18 years in a  federal penitentiary.

And what about Thailand. Drunk drivers walk away with little more than a slap on the wrists. Blanket exoneration and/or complacency. And every year day after day the death toll rises from drunk drivers.

Keep smiling Thailand

car-ft-2-678x381.jpg

Edited by Top Chef
edit

if you forced me to make a conclusions about the report of increased numbers of accidents/fatalities, i would have to say the only thing i could conclude is more people were celebrating. NOT that enforcement or driving was worse or anything like that. more people celebrating, more accidents. if less people celebrate next year, there will be fewer accidents. i dont have an actual point except for the one i already made. 

55 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

As so many have already printed out: the secondary problem is enforcement of traffic laws.

The PRIMARY problem is that the Thai people are content with things as they are, for whatever reasons, and are not demanding enforcement.

That said, it is after all their country.

Just like the beaches, the palm trees, the tropical weather : it is what it is and we who are visiting can take it or leave it.

Wishing things were different doesn't help. That's why left my country and came here.

Make your choices and live with them.

Good comment. It is what it is. Just enjoy Thainess and stop comparing with "back home". 

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And a Happy New Year to you too!

Such gut-wrenching pain and discomfort...

But then again, nobody forced me to leave Pattaya either.

I clearly said it was a necessary journey (of a medical kind) that caused the pain and discomfort.  Presumably you are one of the rare breed of farnags that sees nothing wrong with the annual waste which is Songkran?

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Best Holiday in the world. I have encountered 24 of them and love it every time. You need to stick your head under a rock

It is fun to drink;  it is fun to smoke.  Drink driving kills: as does smoking.  So your idea of the best holiday in the world is to unnecessarily pollute the atmosphere; increase the daily carnage on the road; waste millions of gallons of water which every year results in drought?  Perhaps you need to get your head out from under a rock and see the real meaning of Songkran.

21 hours ago, Dino 308 said:

Sweden: 5 M cars, 0.35 M motorcycles, 6 M bicycles                        Total vehicles     11.35 M                Road deaths 263 persons per year

Thailand: 8 M cars, 20 M motorcycles, 0.5 M bicycles                       Total Vehicles    28.5  M                 Road deaths 26.000 persons per year

Yes many other countries where you have to accually earn the right to have your liecence and you know full well the punishment for drink driving or speeding, you face a much higher fine and or imprisonment. This is whats lacking in the land of smiles, too soft because too hard to get it done. I can only hope that one day politicians in Thailand wake up and smell the roses on this issue.:smile::smile:

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

It is fun to drink;  it is fun to smoke.  Drink driving kills: as does smoking.  So your idea of the best holiday in the world is to unnecessarily pollute the atmosphere; increase the daily carnage on the road; waste millions of gallons of water which every year results in drought?  Perhaps you need to get your head out from under a rock and see the real meaning of Songkran.

You miss the point. It is the single biggest reset holiday for Thai to blow off the years steam. drought? I would bet this water gets recycled into the atmosphere and ground table to a point. Your negatives are necessary. Except for the deaths 

Edited by holy cow cm

20 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Well, that rather puts the kybosh on the government and its minions churning out ludicrously minimal falls and trumpeting them as successes.

They are good at putting a positive "spin" on a dismal fail. Doesn't fool anybody. The spin effort just looks ridiculous.

On 17/4/2561 at 8:36 AM, mikebell said:

I clearly said it was a necessary journey (of a medical kind) that caused the pain and discomfort.  Presumably you are one of the rare breed of farnags that sees nothing wrong with the annual waste which is Songkran?

My head is not under any rock mate, I do not drink any alcohol, I do not smoke (never have) I stay at my condo for song kran (like many foreigners, I wonder if you are one). If you want to start talking about droughts, floods, road carnage well perhaps you had better start looking in another direction sport.!!!!!

On 16/04/2018 at 6:49 AM, markaoffy said:

So motorbike is seized because if an illegal act , drunk driving etc! Seven days later given back and that’s the punishment ! Does the country have any meaningful laws!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

simple answer IS A BIG NO....

but all laws apply to farangs