Petty crime, pickpockets at Songkran 2018

BigOm19

Yesterday afternoon at Songkran waterfight in Silom area: 

My daughter's waterproof bag was slashed and wallet with everything in it stolen - national ID, atm cards, cash. It appeared to have happened some time after paying for drinks at a 7-11. Or maybe during. She doesn't know.

She and a Thai-speaker friend made a police report in a temporary booth in Dusit Thani hotel. Arrived home early and badly shaken. Otherwise not physically hurt.

Spare me the moralisation please. Just a warning, it still happens.

IMG_20180415_194948.jpg

Edited by BigOm19

No moralization,

She did it right protect her stuff  too bad her bag got slashed at times like this crime rises too. Sometimes you just can't prevent it (it might have been prevented but at a high cost of attention and money). She is lucky she is Thai because replacing a foreign passport is more of a hassle.

I don't get the shaken part (if it means in fear). I mean she did not notice a thing no violence was used... . I would be pissed not shaken. 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There was a gang of pick pockets who were found with knives arrested in the same area yesterday. We should have a news story on it shortly

Any chance of posting a link to it here once it's published, as I don't know if it might be in Bangkok news, Thailand news, or perhaps somewhere else?

Ta.

Every country has pickpocket and petty crime issues during mass parties or such.  Just look at the police presence in the US when they have a big bash.  NYE at times sq always had a high police turnout.  Same in Toronto.  

The only thing I suggest is that people not carry cash and such in bags 

I hope that the gang they caught has her stuff.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

Yes I am surprised but believe it indicates a low crime rate as does  leaving crash helmets on motorbikes. Sadly although shocking crimes happen here it is far safer here. 60 murders in London this year, knifings and corrosive acid attacks. 

I have to agree staying here for 7 years now! Seeing helmets, the street carts left for the next day...... Just Saturday at a Starbucks teens left there laptops and other bags and went somewhere else to get coffee, so you know they wanted the Wifi but couldn't afford the coffee. When I saw them leave, I said need a laptop? I finished my coffee maybe 15 minutes or so and they still weren't back when I left. But what really gets me, is in the mall or store, kids wondering off, I usually stand and watch for the parent to catch up or..... In the US the kid would of been gone and the parents would be looking all over hell!!!!

Thailand is basically safer then many so called developped western metros.

However, Songkran seems to give many a sense of impunity, assorted with their disinhibition due to excessive booze!

Better to plainly avoid hitting the streets, travelling or visiting the country until the madness period is over ....of course iMHO !!!!

Stay safe !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, i also often wonder about this. I would say the pickpocket rate in Thailand is quite low compared to other countries.

General advice: Especially in crowded places, carry the bag in front of your body and try to keep an hand on the bag. And in very confusing situations put the bag under the shirt.

But maybe bag snatching and chain snatching is a bit higher.

This cutting method is apparently common in Manila.

I had forgotten this other bad aspect of Songkran, expecting foreigners to carry their passport then would be stupid. 

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Stay sober, mind your own business, and apart from idiot drivers and motorbike riders, 99% of the time you will be safe in Thailand, and yes, I'm in dreamland, and happy here.

Very true.   90% of people who have problems here either deserve it, or made it very easy through their behavior.    This is not a Euro-nanny state.  Actually have to take responsibility here.    Or get used to starting "gofundme" pages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cgphuket said:

Very true.   90% of people who have problems here either deserve it, or made it very easy through their behavior.    This is not a Euro-nanny state.  Actually have to take responsibility here.    Or get used to starting "gofundme" pages.

Not true at all. Just nasty victim blaming which tries to justify criminal assaults and violence by criminal filth. Innocence is just that'innocence'..Next you'll be blaming kids for being sexually provocative..And 'asking for it'

I'm chiming in to share that the same thing happened to me in Silom on April 15.

I was walking along Silom when a number of people surrounded me in close quarters underneath the area of Sala Daeng BTS station. At the time, it all seemed festive as they were all playing and cheering while I was getting shot from all directions, including in the face which made me keep my eyes closed.

Only later did I realize when my wallet was missing from my front pants pocket that that was when they snatched it. I noticed it not 5 minutes later but by then it was already too late.

I filed a police report immediately and got multiple fraudulent charge alerts for thousands of dollars pop up in my email (thank heavens they didn't get my cell phone too, which was in a waterproof case worn around my neck and under my shirt). These bastards were coordinated and work extremely fast!!

While I was filing my police report, another tourist from Taiwan also arrived to report her waterbag similar to the op's daughter's bag being slashed and having her belongings stolen.

Hard lesson learned for me.... And to the op, I feel your pain

On 4/16/2018 at 9:48 AM, robblok said:

. I would be pissed not shaken. 

Tough Guy hey, she is just a young Girl, who are you to say how she should or should not be feeling, such an idiotic Post, you just couldnt resist to show us all what a Macho Man you are could you, pathetic.

46 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Tough Guy hey, she is just a young Girl, who are you to say how she should or should not be feeling, such an idiotic Post, you just couldnt resist to show us all what a Macho Man you are could you, pathetic.

Matcho man, I don't know where you get that from. Must be something in your head and maybe the Image i use. If you only knew the joke the image contained.

This has nothing to do with tough or not tough.. I would be shaken if someone hold me up with a knife or gun or whatever. I just would not be shaken if someone secretly stole from me and I found out later.  I would have been totally oblivious to the theft.. and it would not have occurred in my home (i know how a burglary can affect people).

Has nothing to do with me being tough (you seem to think I am).