Is it possible to naturalise a child with foreign parents who was born in Thailand?

On 4/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Thanks Terry.

Maybe I have been unclear. She is a permanent resident of Thailand, as are her family, but she is not a Thai citizen - she doesn't have the same rights as an ID card carrying Thai national, but she is allowed to remain in the country and owns land with property on it in Kburi. She was in fact born in Burma in 1981 - but the birth was not registered at the time, as she was born at home. I don't know if her family later registered it or not, but she was able to get a Burmese passport 3 years back, so my thinking is they probably did do at a later date. Moreover, I'm only taking exception to people who keep reiterating the same point in what comes across as some kind of cynical and sour attempt to discourage me. As if I'm unaware of the fact that my daughter is not a Thai national, and on the face of it at least is not directly entitled, via jus sanguinis at least, to Thai nationality. Why would I start the thread if I weren't already aware of this fact? That is what aggravates me, as it is unnecessary and seems to be done out of spite or perhaps boredom, either way I don't care, it's not helpful.

I am of course tackling this issue already, IF you read the above statements and my initial post you would know that I'm seeking legal advice, which has thus far not been particularly helpful. Once my gf is back in town next week I will enlist her help to contact the MoI and her local government via the phone if possible, while I will contact the UNHCF and continuing to update my legal adviser. 

I appreciate the helpful information and advice from some members here, really, it's been insightful. For those of you who have offered such advice - my sincere thanks. 

How can a non-Thai (in this case Burmese citizen) own land in Thailand? No need for you to get into specifics, I'm just curious. Maybe she simply possesses the land, but unless she proves Thai citizenship, legally it can't be hers. It sounds more like a case of squatting, i.e. she was there first and built a house on the land she already occupied - I know many such cases in the border regions of Thailand. Nobody bothers these locals, but theoretically if the government needed the land, well, without a land title that needs to be in the name of a Thai national, the government could legally evict you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jimster said:

How can a non-Thai (in this case Burmese citizen) own land in Thailand? No need for you to get into specifics, I'm just curious. Maybe she simply possesses the land, but unless she proves Thai citizenship, legally it can't be hers. It sounds more like a case of squatting, i.e. she was there first and built a house on the land she already occupied - I know many such cases in the border regions of Thailand. Nobody bothers these locals, but theoretically if the government needed the land, well, without a land title that needs to be in the name of a Thai national, the government could legally evict you.

Pink paper holders, non Thai citizens are allowed to own land

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Pink paper holders, non Thai citizens are allowed to own land

Huh? Really? So that means every Burmese/Lao/Cambodian in Thailand on an L-A visa i.e. as many as 3 million people, as long as they get a pink ID card could be allowed to own land in Thailand? That doesn't seem very well thought out by the Thai government if you're right. I was always taught foreigners including permanent residents are barred from owning land except companies who invest a certain amount in an industrial estate.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:06 AM, sanemax said:

This was difficult, but possible 5-10 years ago .

Of the many Thai I.D applications from stateless people , to get your application to the top of the queue , you could pay 400 000 Baht (bribe).

Now its all computerised , thats neigh on impossible

As it should be if you ask me. In the past, people who looked Thai could just pay a large enough bribe to get Thai citizenship, which makes a mockery of the citizenship laws. I doubt farang (except some specially well connected ones) could have done the same...

On 21/4/2561 at 11:17 PM, jimster said:

Another negative comment, but more than that - a derogatory one too, get a <deleted> life people and don't comment unless it is constructive! Squatting!? Excuse me you utter <deleted>, but you're out of line with that statement. If we were having this discussion in person (you wouldn't dare say it as you're just a typical troll), but if you did, you'd be knocked on your stupid arse mate. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound as offensive as you did, no accounting for some people's stupidity after all, but just be a little bit more careful how you conduct yourself in a forum like this. If you don't have anything helpful to add, which you clearly don't, as you're just trolling, then kindly keep your <deleted> mouth shut. Some people on here, jesus christ, very representative of much of the jaded, inadequate little scumbags you get out here, clearly.  The pink ID card enables people who carry it to own land for a temporary period - 99 year lease, this is what I've been told. Not freehold as such, in the same way as westerners would do. My gf and her family have the right to the land and have built on it as well as farmed it for 30 years. They're capable people. Unlike some. :post-4641-1156693976:

My daughter has now been made the same pink (permanent resident) ID card by my missus, unbeknownst to me, as she arrived back from her home district on Saturday. She's been told by local government that our daughter is now eligible to receive full Thai ID, and hence nationality, after she is 7 years of age - same has been declared to nieces and nephews of my gf who are in the same boat. All I now need to know is whether or not getting my daughter a British p/port will jeopardise this in the future and if/how we can travel abroad. Basically, whether or not we can apply for a Thai passport in the meantime. Again - if you don't have anything constructive/helpful to add, don't comment. Simple.

51 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Another negative comment, but more than that - a derogatory one too, get a <deleted> life people and don't comment unless it is constructive! Squatting!? Excuse me you utter <deleted>, but you're out of line with that statement. If we were having this discussion in person (you wouldn't dare say it as you're just a typical troll), but if you did, you'd be knocked on your stupid arse mate. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound as offensive as you did, no accounting for some people's stupidity after all, but just be a little bit more careful how you conduct yourself in a forum like this. If you don't have anything helpful to add, which you clearly don't, as you're just trolling, then kindly keep your <deleted> mouth shut. Some people on here, jesus christ, very representative of much of the jaded, inadequate little scumbags you get out here, clearly.  The pink ID card enables people who carry it to own land for a temporary period - 99 year lease, this is what I've been told. Not freehold as such, in the same way as westerners would do. My gf and her family have the right to the land and have built on it as well as farmed it for 30 years. They're capable people. Unlike some. :post-4641-1156693976:

You should fix your anger problems, what he asked was a totally valid question.

You wrote they own land, so he asked how this is possible.

If they are not owning it and don't have a lease contract with the owner of the land (government land? private land?) they are squatting on this land, this is not derogatory but just the truth.

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You should fix your anger problems, what he asked was a totally valid question.

You wrote they own land, so he asked how this is possible.

If they are not owning it and don't have a lease contract with the owner of the land (government land? private land?) they are squatting on this land, this is not derogatory but just the truth.

I'm done with this thread. There are simply too many idiots on this forum. If you don't think it's derogatory then you are obviously in to the same kind of trolling. His useless, sniping, throw-away comments are insulting to my gf and her family and therefore to me. Not one keyboard warrior on here would say such things in person, so why do it online? Completely off topic too - that's the point. I have no use for generally uninformed third party suppositions on unrelated aspects of a situation that DON'T NEED commenting on. This has NOTHING to do with my initial question regarding ID for my daughter. The land/property and deed to said land that my girl's family have has no relevance to anything I'm requesting information about. People just like to have a go and knock people down. How sad. Keep your negative comments to yourself. End of story.

Archived