Arabs have 300,000 baht stolen from the safe - hotel gives them 5,000 baht compensation

webfact

1 minute ago, The Theory said:

There is a “reset code”. Hotel staff use it when a guest forget the code or in case of malfunction. 

Perhaps there is a hotel internal hand in this case. 

The Mistake your making though the theory is the conclusion you have arrived at has been proposed 25 times already. So what new evidence can you put forward to ensure your theory is your own and not one you just stole from another hopelessly named handle?

16 hours ago, impulse said:

That's the $64,000 question.   Mostly, I leave everything I don't need at home. 

But that leaves me with my passport, a few thousand $ USD emergency cash, and a laptop -at the least.  I keep the $$$ stashed inside the lining of my carry on, where someone has to make same effort to find it and steal it, but that's not much better than hiding it between the mattresses (though I'd never forget it stashed in my carry-on, while I am subject to lapses in memory if I were to hide it anywhere in the room, including the safe). 

The point is that there is nowhere you can really secure your valuables when traveling.  (Unless you can leave them in your jet on the tarmac- and even then...)  Best to leave them behind unless you need them.

There's no need to have "a few thousand" if you have a US debit/credit card and money in the bank. I use an ATM, or use Western Union whenever you need large amounts. I have a Bangkok Bank account, and I send money there by Paypal, service charge is $3. I never keep more than $300US, or 10,000 baht on hand unless there's a specific thing I need it for. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

There's no need to have "a few thousand" if you have a US debit/credit card and money in the bank. I use an ATM, or use Western Union whenever you need large amounts. I have a Bangkok Bank account, and I send money there by Paypal, service charge is $3. I never keep more than $300US, or 10,000 baht on hand unless there's a specific thing I need it for. 

Depends on where and how you're traveling.  And if your ATM card gets skimmed or stolen on a Friday, it may be a long weekend (plus a few days after the banks re-open) if you just have $300 cash.  Or if the 6 business people you just invited to dinner drag you out to a high $$$ seafood place that doesn't take plastic.  Not to mention entering Thailand on visa exempt with less than $600.  Call me old fashioned, but there have been a few times when the only solution has been cash in hand.

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

There is a “reset code”. Hotel staff use it when a guest forget the code or in case of malfunction. 

Different models have different over-ride abilities. Some have a key, those circular types, accessed behind the front panel or batteries, some have an over-ride code and one example I watched, a technician had to plug in a laptop and use dedicated software, and a manager made him look away as he entered an over-ride code on the laptop. I expect the latest of those to be too much trouble and more expensive, hence rarer. Most theft cases I have heard of have either been an override code and a rogue employee who arrives soon after you check in... or the whole damned thing being removed and taken to be opened at leisure. I have been fortunate so far with in-room safes although I do check they are well secured.

I wonder if the keys are all the same in a hotel that buys a job lot of safes. That would be a lot floating around. I hardly regard Thais as security conscious....

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

Normally there is a key. The code needs to be reset after opening and pushing a button. Cheap safes are not 100% secure but neither are your pockets or bags with locks on them.

I've never had a problem. Given 37m tourists reports of safe theft are very low. Single digits pa. 

46 minutes ago, impulse said:

Depends on where and how you're traveling.  And if your ATM card gets skimmed or stolen on a Friday, it may be a long weekend (plus a few days after the banks re-open) if you just have $300 cash.  Or if the 6 business people you just invited to dinner drag you out to a high $$$ seafood place that doesn't take plastic.  Not to mention entering Thailand on visa exempt with less than $600.  Call me old fashioned, but there have been a few times when the only solution has been cash in hand.

$300 can easily last 3 or 4 days.

18 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Don't trust these safes. ...

I had an old one with a dead battery and misplaced the key.  First time I smacked the top, it opened.  Subsequently it would take me 2 or 3 tries. What a joke.  We gutted it and welded on a proper padlock hasp.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

$300 can easily last 3 or 4 days.

It doesn't even get you across the border on a visa exempt entry.  That takes $600.  Cash money.  ATM not accepted.  Western Union- No good.

$300 may last you for 3 or 4 days, but not everyone travels on the same budget.  If your hotel is 3000 baht a night, you'll get really hungry about that 3rd day.

8 hours ago, crazyk said:

From all accounts them safes have a security code to open if someone forgot their code,the reception know it,I think the code is 0000

Which accounts?

Never used a safe?

They have one code which can be changed and security keys to open if code is forgotten.

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

And if it operates by numbered buttons you can find many cases where hotel staff have used a specific type of paper to collect the oil from fingertips to indicate which buttons have most recently been used. From there they try various configurations of the 4 (?) buttons until they crack the password code. 

You are overthinking things a bit.

What do you think happens when a hotel guest locks all their valuables in the safe and then forgets the key?

One of the hotel engineers comes along and uses the "secret" override code to unlock the safe.

• Like 1

Just now, nkg said:

You are overthinking things a bit.

What do you think happens when a hotel guest locks all their valuables in the safe and then forgets the key?

One of the hotel engineers comes along and uses the "secret" override code to unlock the safe.

I always wonder how widely distributed that secret override code is...

Just now, Justfine said:

Myth. They use a key.

I was told about the code by a group of engineers at a five star resort. I'm sure that some hotels have safes with an override key, others have a code, and still others have a different method to gain emergency access.

Who cares what method is employed in each instance - your safe can be opened up by several different members of staff, and this can in theory be done without your permission.

Just now, nkg said:

I was told about the code by a group of engineers at a five star resort. I'm sure that some hotels have safes with an override key, others have a code, and still others have a different method to gain emergency access.

Who cares what method is employed in each instance - your safe can be opened up by several different members of staff, and this can in theory be done without your permission.

Battery operated safes have to have keys as batteries go flat.

The override code theory is a bar myth.

Only a small number of people in a legit hotel have important key access.

More chance of a pickpocket.

Just now, Justfine said:

Battery operated safes have to have keys as batteries go flat.

The override code theory is a bar myth.

Only a small number of people in a legit hotel have important key access.

More chance of a pickpocket.

I agree that there isn't much to worry about in terms of thefts in Thai hotels. I was told about the reset code by an engineer who I know well - I asked him directly what he would do to get into a hotel safe, and that was his response. Forgive me if I believe him over you Mr Internet Stranger. I am happy to accept that some safes have override keys, and that other safes have different access methods, but your mind is made up that all hotel safes need keys for emergency access, so I won't waste any more of my time discussing it.

Just now, nkg said:

I agree that there isn't much to worry about in terms of thefts in Thai hotels. I was told about the reset code by an engineer who I know well - I asked him directly what he would do to get into a hotel safe, and that was his response. Forgive me if I believe him over you Mr Internet Stranger. I am happy to accept that some safes have override keys, and that other safes have different access methods, but your mind is made up that all hotel safes need keys for emergency access, so I won't waste any more of my time discussing it.

I know engineers and lawyers. They talk nonsense as well.

Sorry but I own a safe and used hundreds in hotels.

Safes have a starting code which can get changed and they have 2 backup keys.

Why don't you go buy a safe and see for yourself. Any good hardware store sells small hotel safes.

Amazing that you think battery operated safes have no keys :-)

26 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I know engineers and lawyers. They talk nonsense as well.

Sorry but I own a safe and used hundreds in hotels.

Safes have a starting code which can get changed and they have 2 backup keys.

Why don't you go buy a safe and see for yourself. Any good hardware store sells small hotel safes.

Amazing that you think battery operated safes have no keys :-)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/hotel-room-safes-master-code-default-override-hack-security-thieves-use-a8177831.html

https://gizmodo.com/5837561/can-000000-secretly-open-your-hotel-safe

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/5409619/how-to-check-a-hotel-safe-is-secure-always-do-this-trick-before-leaving-valuables-inside/

<<<< Link to the Daily Mail edited out as Daily Mail is officially blocked in Thailand >>>>

But why bother providing evidence, when you know better than everybody.

Just now, Justfine said:

Daily Mail

"Security expert"

Go buy a safe champ and see for yourself.

Why don't you provide a bunch of links disproving what I have said? It took me all of 2 minutes.

Oh that's right, it's because you can't.

Just now, nkg said:

Why don't you provide a bunch of links disproving what I have said? It took me all of 2 minutes.

Oh that's right, it's because you can't.

The Sun is your proof lol

Why don't you go buy a safe.

Electronic keypad safe with handheld PDA access. This requires the attachment of a handheld PDA, with either an infra-red USB, or cable. These units store up to 50 entries, incorrect PIN entry, and it's all time and date stamped. These can be attached to a PC, where audit reports can be printed for police and insurance purposes. These units DO NOT have a hotel override, it reveals the guest PIN.

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

You could buy a $30 one if you want.

Or spend $90 and get a decent one.

Up to you.

Oh, so you admit that hotel safes with override codes exist now. I thought before they all needed keys? You seem a little confused.

Electronic keypad safe with handheld PDA access. This requires the attachment of a handheld PDA, with either an infra-red USB, or cable. These units store up to 50 entries, incorrect PIN entry, and it's all time and date stamped. These can be attached to a PC, where audit reports can be printed for police and insurance purposes. These units DO NOT have a hotel override, it reveals the guest PIN

In room safe is one security measure. In addition, hotels commonly have electronic room keys (lock audit from room doors, can provide data as to who entered the room at what time, to see if it corresponds to the time from the safe entry), elevators have room key floor access (like previous, it can provide data as to who accessed a certain level), some hotels have CCTV security. All of these can be used together, to map movements of all people, guests and staff alike, and provides ample deterrent for would be room thefts.