Thai taxi driver said his life is being ruined after English teacher posts damning clip

webfact

16 hours ago, Justfine said:

Yet you stay in the country of "terrible" people surrounded by farang oddballs and misfits.

Rather ironic.

"surrounded by farang oddballs and misfits"

Oh dear. Feeling unloved are we?

On 4/18/2018 at 9:50 PM, jonclark said:

But the poor taxi driver did not deny trying to take the flat fare of 500 baht initially. 

That is clearly against the AoT rules for taxis using airports. So if he has had such an unblemished career.. Why did he do this? 

Probably overspent a bit during Songkran and was hoping for a quick and easy few baht extra is my assumption. 

But he got burnt and shamed. Won't be reappearing on Channel 7,

Surprise! Wrong farang...this one has been in Thailand long enough to know what methods are used by taxis to liberate Baht from tourist. Perhaps the passengers ability to speak fluent Thai should have given him some indication that this farang should not be treated as an ATM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

Forum Netiquette

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

Many Thais are just 12 year old's in a mans body. He got caught out and then crocodile tears. Boring.
I don't agree that the farung did the right thing but I agree with what you say. I couldn't understand my younger thai brother in law (youngest in the family) and thought he was an a-hole until one of the family had a little boy. I saw how the family spoil him and let him do anything and I mirrored it to my brother in law. I realized he must have been treated like that when he was young and he has never quite grown up. He is like a 5 yo who is actually 48. Now I think he is an old spoilt little brat. I find the girls are more mature.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To me, the video is what it is.. I think it’s true that the video (that’s I’ve seen) does not show the WHOLE event, and missing the parts before or after, MAY impact ones view on the matter...

That said, I think that today one must realize, acknowledge and more importantly ASSUME that when in most public places or even private operated businesses, that you are or will be subject to video and/or audio recording — and act as such.

Is the western guys story true? I don’t know.. it could be.. I can see a good case that it could very well be... I can also see a case where key facts have been left out, misrepresented or even flat out falsified ... so, I just don’t know.. but what the video does show, isn’t promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/19/2018 at 2:08 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I swear I never experienced this since I moved here.  Like I said before, 10 years ago it happened to me maybe 30% of the time, but I guess I was an easy target with a huge backpack. I get my rides mostly from the airport, Ramkhamheang road, fashion island, Seacon, Mega Bagna, and On Nut.....4 years on it didn't happen once the taxi driver didn't turn the meter on. Swear.

Edit

I don't speak thai, but I do always give my location in Thai.

Those areas are very familiar to me and I too never ever had problems with cabs in those areas, but I did have on very rare occasions when I needed a ride back home from lower Sukhumvit in the wee hours (during WC 2014 for example)

20 hours ago, chama said:

Surprise! Wrong farang...this one has been in Thailand long enough to know what methods are used by taxis to liberate Baht from tourist. Perhaps the passengers ability to speak fluent Thai should have given him some indication that this farang should not be treated as an ATM.

that would require "critical thinking"

• Thanks 1

Some might consider 40 Baht to be a trifling sum to pay for the massive boost in sense of superiority and intellectual prowess certain foreigners seem able to derive from a brief brush with local taxi drivers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EyeOfRa said:

Some might consider 40 Baht to be a trifling sum to pay for the massive boost in sense of superiority and intellectual prowess certain foreigners seem able to derive from a brief brush with local taxi drivers!

I wonder if This taxi driver has ever tried to rip foreigners off before.

or even on a daily basis  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah,   it could never be  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor guy gets a rough ride on the internet for his first offence

I do feel sorry for him  !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by stanleycoin

11 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I wonder if This taxi driver has ever tried to rip foreigners off before.

or even on a daily basis  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah,   it could never be  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor guy gets a rough ride on the internet for his first offence

I do feel sorry for him  !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy::cheesy:

It's a disgrace the taxi driver wasn't fired already for admittedly trying to work "off the meter"  and then finally, reluctantly turning it on 

On 4/19/2018 at 1:28 PM, JAZZDOG said:

I don't agree. I think Thailand is a pretty amazing place and receives tourist from across the spectrum like most countries that actively seek out tourism. Fact is you seldom have reason to read about the majority of travelers that have a great experience only the very small minority that run into trouble. Most every country tends to blame problems on people from adjacent countries and tourists. For every story on TV about an expat crime, victim or perp,  there are thousands omitted that are similar committed by Thais. The fact Thailand has a fairly huge expat community says something about the quality of life here. There are many countries where it is cheaper to live with more liberal immigration laws and they don't attract near as many expats even though they entail much shorter distances to travel. People on here insist that travel numbers are falling off yet the statistics show that not to be the case. Maybe a list of the countries that attract "quality tourists" might be helpful?

I agree that Thailand has alot to offer. That is why I chose to live here, at least in part. All I am saying is something that many of this forum would agree with. And that is the the quality of tourists that Thailand is able to attract has been declining over the years, while the arrival numbers continue to rise. When I landed at Swampy the other day, the majority of tourists in line were Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. But, Thailand does not attract the cream of Chinese society. Declining quality of services, law enforcement issues, lack of traffic safety, the general state of higher the very high end hotel experience, not being up to par with the comparable hotels around the world, such as the  lack of a knowledgable concierge and wine service, poor english skills, an incompetent government and tourist association, and many other factors contribute to this. That does not mean our experience living here is not a very good one. For many of us, it definitely is. 

The one sentence I will disagree with, is that Thailand receives visitors from across the spectrum. Though they receive enough to keep the five star hotels alive, alot of that is transit or business clients. The big spender types, who used to come here and spend $1,000 to $2,500 a day, are fewer and farther between than in the past. Of that I am sure. 

• Like 1