Can the employer cancel your non-b extension without you knowing!?

They can cancel your work permit, which will invalidate a visa extension, but I believe that wouldn't cancel the visa if you are still in the first 60 days and have not yet applied for a visa extension. 

I don't know how long it takes for the Labor Office to notify Immigration that the WP has been cancelled.  Perhaps a better informed person could answer that.

Edited by otherstuff1957

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Your extension of stay ends when your job is terminated. 

So if the company terminate my contract whatever is the reason even they don't have my passport, I will be overstating after that ?!? 

9 hours ago, marky28 said:

So if the company terminate my contract whatever is the reason even they don't have my passport, I will be overstating after that ?!? 

If you are on extension of stay from immigration in Thailand, yes. 

If on non-B entry from consulate abroad, no. 

17 hours ago, marky28 said:

Technically, yes (if you are on an extension of stay for working). However, if your employer does not have your passport, it may not matter from a practical point of view. If you leave through an airport a few weeks later, your permission to stay will then end, but immigration will not be aware of your technical overstay.

Technically, Any extension of stay for reason x (marriage, job) ends on the same date the said reason is no longer valid (marriage ends in divorce, job is terminated).  However, for practical purposes immigration won't be able to get hold of you to stamp your passport and you will be able to leave the country without a problem. It is advised you do so and come back on a different visa or at least a visa exemption.

Err No.

I am aware of a couple of at least a couple of close business friends living here on extensions to their visas based on work permits here in Pattaya, who have had their work permits cancelled and then had Chonburi immigration turning up knocking on their doors at their registered address within a few days.

You will find that there has been a big push to unify/centralize most government databases during the last decade. An assumption that one part of Thai bureaucracy doesn't know what the other half is doing could be a costly mistake. 

In another similar related incident, an old friend 'lost' his driving license - and so after a few months, he reported it lost at a local police station and requested a replacement. Sadly, he hadn't lost it, Pattaya police had confiscated it at a road side check and he had forgotten to go in, pay the fine and collect it. 

So...

When he went to the driving license center to apply for his replacement driving license, after filling in the forms and handing them into the admin clerk, his name came up flagged on the computer, he was arrested on the spot and thrown in jail on a quite serious criminal fraud charge. I know since I carried out the court translation work. How did the driving license center know? The police had entered it on their own central database that was linked to the driving license database through the Thai government central database (This is now being extended to cover all ASEAN countries. Think INTERPOL but an ASEAN version of it) 

Moral of story:-

• Don't assume Thai ministries are stupid and don't talk to each other.
  • Don't consider for a moment that being caught on overstay is a trivial event that can be simply sorted out at the airport - spot checks on the roads are everywhere nowadays. Seriously, you do not want to see the inside of IDC or any Thai jail.

IDC?...   http://www.roadjunky.com/1108/immigration-jail-in-bangkok-thailand/

:jap: