Any of you been victims of violent crime in Thailand?

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Personally three times over my decades in LOS, threatened many times.The worst case was when I was whacked over the head with a stick by a bunch of young Thais on motorcycles in an attempted robbery while riding my bicycle at night from Chachoengsao to Pattaya on a pitchdark section of highway 331.

Most will say what a foolish thing to do but I love biking at night and arriving at my destination early morning.

I ride at night too around Lake Maprachan. People tell me there Recently was a gang that would bash you and throw your bike in the back and drive off.

Me too, me too !!!...the other day, the hottie serving at that bar,  took me backstage, following mutual attraction (and many drinks)  and milked me so brutally......that I went back the week after to get a bit more !! :dry:

Edited by observer90210

4 hours ago, XJPSX said:

I ride at night too around Lake Maprachan. People tell me there Recently was a gang that would bash you and throw your bike in the back and drive off.

They are probably more interested in drunk farangs on motorcycles :Lots of farang bars around Maprachan :By robbing one of them they get a motorcycle and valuables.A cyclist out exercising , unlikely to carry much cash, is not an attractive target, and that is if that rumor of roaming gangs is true.

Not In Thailand, but got organized a "taxi" the border of Cambodia to take me to Angkor Vat, and we drove off. After 5 minutes two local men joined us, and they stopped on a sideroad, and started to yell at me, and it seemed like they wanted money. I went out, and stood my ground and told them to take me back to the boarder. 5 intensive minutes later we where heading back. I did not understand a shit, and it is first time I have been scared shitless on any of my travels for my whole life. I had lost controll totally, but nothing happend, and I guess they did not want to mess with me. I might have been lucky, but I always take photo and send to someone when I jump in a suspect taxi, and let them see I do. If not for safety, it is good for lost belongings, where I have forgotten phones, and other tings during my years. 

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Me too, me too !!!...the other day, the hottie serving at that bar,  took me backstage, following mutual attraction (and many drinks)  and milked me so brutally......that I went back the week after to get a bit more !! :dry:

Sounds like you are suffering from the Helsinki (Stockholm) syndrome.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I thought you were  looking a  little  pale and drained in your photo

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It does seem that incidences of unprovoked violence are increasing. But fortunately nowhere near the levels in most major western cities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is it a rise in incidents or a rise in the "reporting" of incidents. We tend to hear about things more with social media, forums, CCTV and camera phones. 

"A bargirl stole my kidney" gets a 38 page response, stories about puppies dont get much traction.

I have noticed a couple of new members, and based on what they have read , post things like this

• Like 2

Been here (mostly Samui) 12 years on and off.

About 5 years ago I picked up a bar girl and we "got on" pretty well or so I thought and she became a regular over-nighter.

Then she left Samui but called me several months later from somewhere up North and said she wanted to come for a holiday on Samui to see some friends and asked if she could stay with me for a few days. So I said okay.

So she came and we had fun for a few days but shortly after she left I was at the ATM and noticed my Balance was much lower than I expected.

So I went to my bank and got statements (KTB do not issue them automatically) and went through the transactions and noticed several withdrawals of 20,000 Thb around the time she had stayed with me. I always keep a minimum of 1m Thb in my account for retirement extension purposes and I noticed that suddenly I was down to about 900k.

It transpires she had watched me at the ATM and secretly took my card, stole the money and returned the card to my wallet without me knowing. The mistake she made though was I had put a maximum withdrawal limit of 20k per day on the card and just before she left she got greedy and did an ATM transfer for 60k to her own account. In total she had taken 160k.....could have been much worse.

So I went to the tourist police in Chaweng about 10km from where I live as the local police do not speak English and were not interested anyway. I devised a sting to catch her and they agreed to do it.

So I invited her to come back to Samui for a few days and arranged to meet her a a local bar in Lamai at 1:00pm. The plan was I would buy her a drink and once she was settled go to the toilet and call them (they were waiting round the corner).

So she arrived and it went like clockwork. When they arrested her she went ballistic screaming she was innocent and they struggled to bundle her into the cop car. She even jumped out of the offside door to try and escape so I "rugby tackled" her and stopped her. They were going to her back to Chaweng to charge her and asked me to sit in the back with her.

I politely refused as by now she was a "wild cat" and said I would go on my motorcy and meet them at the Police station in Chaweng some 30 minutes drive away.

I duly arrived but there was no sign of the cops or the girl. After waiting 20 minutes or so I asked the desk sergeant what was happening so he called them and they said they had been delayed enroute. I waited another 30 minutes and still no sign so I said to the DS I was going for a coffee round the corner and asked him to call me when they arrived,

After another 30 minutes or so I had not heard anything so I went back to the cop shop, The two cops were there but no girlie. They told me she had got out of the car and run away when they had stopped at some traffic lights (they had not handcuffed her).

I let them know that I thought they were bullshitting and had taken a bribe at which point they "Advised " me to leave or face arrest myself.

Admittedly this was not physically "volient" but it will be if I ever see her again.

Never heard from them or the girl again and KTB said it was my fault and refused any compensation.....what do you think??????:whistling:

Edited by Mario666

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why would you jump in such a "suspect taxi"? Just wait for the next one.

For the adventure ?

Always had good experience all over world I have travelled on impulse, had to be one time you got a warning where you are, where you go and what you do! 

Except that, been witness to many brutal fights, and one robbery from bike to bike in KL, where the passenger of bike just ripped the handbag off a girl on motorbike in 50 km/h, and made her fall down. In the middle of rushour, so easy for the bike to get away. It made me think twice about having my man bag on me when driving bike. 

The most funny one, was a bar girl chasing her bf with a broken bottle screaming he was a butterfly. I had seen this girl with many falang before and after he came back to her, so a good reminder where some girls have their mind. 

• Haha 1

Visited Thailand at 17 first time, lived 5 years full time ! Now 51, never ever had anything happen to me.. A bloke i know, been twice and had issues with people, he’s a trouble maker and trouble will always find him !!

Came close once, around 2009, on a family road trip, just leaving Chiang Mai. Stopped for fuel, went to urinals. A couple guys there. Another guy enters, looks me over, says to the others, "Well, well, look at this farang here, I guess he's not afraid of getting his ass kicked. He's probably got money on him." Lucky for me, the other two ignored his invitation and walked out. I just stared at him unblinking with a blank "I'm crazier than you are, motherf***er" look, and naturally when standing alone he shut up. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 11:55 PM, catman20 said:

me too 18 years.

But this thread demonstrates it is happening.

I have never witnessed anything serious in any country but the most aggresive behaviour i have seen is in Thailand both from Thais and foreigners.

5 hours ago, Gruff said:

But this thread demonstrates it is happening.

I have never witnessed anything serious in any country but the most aggresive behaviour i have seen is in Thailand both from Thais and foreigners.

Well, the most aggressive things I have ever seen was in London, locals out trying to bash who ever they saw ! 

1 hour ago, mixlis said:

Well, the most aggressive things I have ever seen was in London, locals out trying to bash who ever they saw ! 

That is an interesting comment. Some time ago I saw an official UK statistic about people going out and getting drunk. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like this: About 30% want to be totally drunk at the end of the night - not just a little drunk. And I think more than 10% had the opinion that a night out in the UK is only fun if it ends with a fight. Sorry I don't remember where I read it but likely BBC or TheGuardian.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is an interesting comment. Some time ago I saw an official UK statistic about people going out and getting drunk. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like this: About 30% want to be totally drunk at the end of the night - not just a little drunk. And I think more than 10% had the opinion that a night out in the UK is only fun if it ends with a fight. Sorry I don't remember where I read it but likely BBC or TheGuardian.

you sound like a victim