U.S. Supreme Court allows Alabama to execute 83-year-old inmate

webfact

43 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

If the proof and charges are 100% flawless, with absolutely no place for doubt regarding the guilt of the culprit.....well then the law was just applied.

On the other hand, the death penalty does not seem to serve as deterrence. It would be more of a lex talionis dogma, aimed to apease the families of the victim.

One could also doubt that the death penalty costs tax payers less, as the legal costs to the public criminal justice system when death penalty is involved, with the trials, the appeals, the appointed lawyer(s), the specific penetentiary facilities for death row inmates who wait sometimes for years....all this definately costs much more then a regular inmate serving long term or a life sentence....

As The Special Forces stated in Nam "Kill em all,let God sort em out".

5 minutes ago, lungbing said:

That statement is a lot older than 'Nam.    But it does partly explain why so many people loath Americans.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

(Kill them. For the Lord knows who are His.)

Arnaud Amalric

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

Moody's appeals were based on technicalities, not on some question about guilt. I . have no mercy for bombers regardless of their racist reasons. Moody should die and I pray it's painful for him.

Is it not enough he dies ?  Has it to be painful ?  Sick sadist.

8 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

Moody's appeals were based on technicalities, not on some question about guilt. I . have no mercy for bombers regardless of their racist reasons. Moody should die and I pray it's painful for him.

I pray it's painful for him.

I thought prayers were not made for that, rather the opposite, but I reckon I am an old school! :coffee1:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Love to see the guilty dead and not being looked after by working people's tax money.

And there lies the Rub, can not trust the 'legal system' in my State of Illinois. When you have the states millions of dollars and thousands of minions, who stands a chance in hell if they a re out to get you. Yes, Alice, sometimes they are out to get you.

17 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

Again, Moody's guilt was never in doubt. His appeals were based on technicalities. 

Appeals are almost always based on a technicality.   If a person is found guilty, then the appeal is on technical, legal issues.   If the court finds in favor of the convicted, it goes back for re-trial.   A new trial can be ordered if there is new evidence, but it has to be overwhelming.

In death penalty cases, there is an automatic appeals process.   I believe the accused can waive those and expedite their execution in some states.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hopefully, one day, the U.S. will join the civilised world.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What is the 'civilized world'?  China, the worlds most populated country or Russia the largest country in the world? I strongly believe that if legal process is gone through and their is DNA evidence that a persons life should be forfeit. 

It's not about 'does it deter' I could not give a **** if it 'deters' it is payment and justice. Just don't do it and you have nothing to fear.  Let's be honest the vast majority live their lives without raping and/or murdering.   

What is the 'civilized world'?  China, the worlds most populated country or Russia the largest country in the world? I strongly believe that if legal process is gone through and their is DNA evidence that a persons life should be forfeit. 

It's not about 'does it deter' I could not give a **** if it 'deters' it is payment and justice. Just don't do it and you have nothing to fear.  Let's be honest the vast majority live their lives without raping and/or murdering.   
I was referring to those countries who have abolished capital punishment.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I was referring to those countries who have abolished capital punishment.

Yes I got that but that assumes they are 'civilized' and the largest countries in the entire world are not (was my point). Taking a child rapist murderers life (and a pipe bombers) is civilized in many peoples book .

10 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I pray it's painful for him.

I thought prayers were not made for that, rather the opposite, but I reckon I am an old school! :coffee1:

Right wing Christian fundamentalists - the very antithesis of the teachings of Christ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...