Isuzu DMax...what is this repair ??

lolex

Please help ! Does anyone know what this "running repair" is ?

A bit of background first. My wife bought this 11 year old (2550) Isuzu Dmax 2.5 Diesel I-tech as settlement of some debt or other. 

I took it into Isuzu dealership yesterday for its 200,000 km. All good, except they wanted to replace the battery and steering rack. 

Then, they take us to the car and show us this....please see pics. Some kind of "running repair" with a plastic shopping bag. 

Used as a make-do gasket or seal, I guess. But I really have no idea. And no idea what needs to be done to make a proper repair. 

Can anyone tell from the pics what it is or what it might be? Urgent to fix ? Or anytime fix ok ?

Your advice more than welcome...thanks....

IMG_20180420_072321~01.jpg

IMG_20180420_072244~01.jpg

IMG_20180420_072221~01.jpg

IMG_20180420_072137~01.jpg

"Maybe the plastic bag is to stop condensation from the aircon  pipe dripping onto those relays underneath  ?"

Maybe....but it seems well secured as though it's been screwed-through or such like. 

I didn't give it a good pull...the plastics so thin....but it doesn't seem like a loose "tie-on"....

1 hour ago, lolex said:

Yes but doesn't cool very well....you think it's an A/c problem?

Well that cap with the "L" on it looks like an A/C top up valve, but if you have lost the gas/oil pressure the A/C would not work..Sadly I have never looked under the hood of one of your rides but l cannot see what that "fix" has to do with power steering..

6 hours ago, transam said:

28 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Was the Dealership in Thailand or a Isuzu sign in a Botsawana Jungle.?. Sounds weird to me!. Isuzu dont leave you guessing.

No-one at the Dealership seemed to speak any English....in Rayong.  They speak reasonable English in Botswana though....should I go there d'you think?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, lolex said:

No-one at the Dealership seemed to speak any English....in Rayong.  They speak reasonable English in Botswana though....should I go there d'you think?

Brief you wife 'a little bit' on your problem ... send her to Isuzu to see what she can gleam ...

"Brief you wife 'a little bit' on your problem ... send her to Isuzu to see what she can gleam ..."

Yes...that is what I would have done, but for the fact Isuzu closed today (Songkran & Saturday) and I fly out tomorrow for a few weeks. And while I managed to find 'steering rack" in the wonderful Paiboon english-thai dictionary on my phone....I'm sceptical about A/c bits n pieces. 

the important thing I got from some helpful people here was that it will be safe to leave until I get back....being an A/c problem and nothing critical....

Thanks Transam & Johng ...

• 2 weeks later...