Dengue danger: Phuket hits highest infection rate in the country

rooster59

Dengue danger: Phuket hits highest infection rate in the country 

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1524207901_1-org.jpg

Clear signs of dengue. If you start experiencing these ill effects, see a doctor immediately.

PHUKET: Concerns are high for the rising number of people in Phuket contracting dengue following a Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) report issued last week confirming that Phuket has the highest per capita infection rate in the country.

However, with Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) Chief Dr Jirapan Teapan unavailable for comment this week, a Department of Disease Control (DDC) official posted at the PPHO had little to say on the matter.

The official confirmed that since the start of the year 220 people in Phuket had been confirmed by local hospitals as contracting dengue, the same figure revealed in a report posted on the DDC website last Tuesday (April 10). (See report here.)

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/dengue-danger- phuket-hits-highest-infection-rate-in-the-country-66838.php#JXaHMXfdzJb9MOyX.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-04-21

19 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

So no chance whatsoever of your Thai neighbours ever doing that then?

I hate to think where you live but where I live my Thai neighbors maintain their properties and the environment to an extent whereby there are no mosquitoes, soi dogs,  stray cats or rubbish. There was, however, one Dutch character who was evicted because he failed to care for the property he rented. 

Edited by Swimman

29 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

So no chance whatsoever of your Thai neighbours ever doing that then?

I wonder how pro-active local council or health authorities are on the mosquito problem.  It only takes one thoughtless neighbour to have their own private breeding program.  Rubbish, old tyres, fish ponds.  Even bromeliads!

Singapore is very active in this matter, and inspectors check properties including apartments as a single flower pot with water is all it takes.

My landlady here in Chiang Mai used to put "mosquito sand" in her various ponds, which stops the mozzie eggs from developing.

7 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Believe me, you'll know it when you get it.

Oh yes, and the worst bits for me were the severe headache, just about constant, and severe backache.

Loss of appetite and a general feeling of malaise in addition to those mentioned above, ensure that you know full well that something is wrong. However the worst part about it is that there's nothing that can be done for it apart from rest, fluids and paracetamol.

Hospitals very often like to keep you in for a few days to look at its progression and to monitor the blood count in case it becomes dengue haemorrhagic fever.

I was over the worst of mine in about three weeks.

Yep had it too and I think its up there with kidney stones although not as painful but the headaches behind the eyes was a bitch and paracetamol only takes the edge off the throbbing. I had severe back pain and sweats too but the main thing for me was forcing the fluids down even when I didn't feel like it. 

I also believe their numbers will be way higher as I personally know of a few guys who had it and did not seek hospital or doctor help. They had been through it before and knew how to deal with it.

7 hours ago, Swimman said:

I hate to think where you live but where I live my Thai neighbors maintain their properties and the environment to an extent whereby there are no mosquitoes, soi dogs,  stray cats or rubbish. There was, however, one Dutch character who was evicted because he failed to care for the property he rented. 

That's nice you must live in a posh area. i go out most days on my bicycle and see loads of rubbish dumped in heaps at the side of the roads  amazing thailand .  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AUSSIE BOB said:

Yep had it too and I think its up there with kidney stones although not as painful but the headaches behind the eyes was a bitch and paracetamol only takes the edge off the throbbing. I had severe back pain and sweats too but the main thing for me was forcing the fluids down even when I didn't feel like it. 

I also believe their numbers will be way higher as I personally know of a few guys who had it and did not seek hospital or doctor help. They had been through it before and knew how to deal with it.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, Swimman said:

If people cleaned up their environment - removing sources of stagnant water the problem would be significantly reduced -- Aedes mosquitoes have a limited range of flight - The one who gives you dengue is a local mosquito from a local breeding ground .....

Quite. I got it from being bitten in the toilet of a Pattaya hotel.

On 4/22/2018 at 1:38 AM, PEE TEE said:

not knowing much about it . so far been lucky i hear there are 3 different types number 3 being a killer for young or old ? 

There are 5 distinct serotypes any one of which can be a 'killer"  Contacting one serotype confers no immunity against the others.  There is a vaccine but not all will qualify to receive it.     https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, Coconut Kidd said:

Believe me, you'll know it when you get it.

For sure.....I got it this time last year on Samui.

One minute I was fine...the next I felt like I had been run over by a train.

It isn't nicknamed "Breakbone Fever" for nothing!!!!!

The hospital naturally wanted me to stay in, but I knew there is no cure so you might as well suffer at home than pay to stay in and risk catching something else.

But I went back each day for platelet counts and luckily just before they went below the limit I started to recover.

The worst of it lasted about 10 days, but I felt Shitty for weeks after.

I was planning to go to Phuket for a week's holiday tomorrow until I read this.

I think it would be prudent to delay.....Never want to go through that again.

And it is often much worse 2nd time and can even be fatal!

I advise you to AVOID AT ALL COST.:omfg::omfg::omfg:

Edited by Mario666