British charity worker feared being raped in 40-day Thai prison nightmare

webfact

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I visit the prisons regularly and I have never in 10 years heard of anyone getting raped. There are plenty of obliging lady boys in there, so no need. While I agree conditions are squalid, the suggestion of stinking and stagnant water for washing, I also do not believe for a second. 5 years for a lighter? 5 years for fighting? Utter rubbish. To my mind the fella, who admittedly has been through a nasty experience, is now embellishing the story for all it is worth. I am sure he has his own reasons for that, but it still doesn't make it true. Any respect I had for him has gone.

The OP story is so embellished it is a joke. I too have been on many prison visits, thanks to my wayward BiL, and Thai jails ain't as bad as Sean Felton is making them out to be. He needs to shut his lying mouth, do his time and don't rock the boat. With luck he'll get let out early anyway. 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

The OP story is so embellished it is a joke. I too have been on many prison visits, thanks to my wayward BiL, and Thai jails ain't as bad as Sean Felton is making them out to be. He needs to shut his lying mouth, do his time and don't rock the boat. With luck he'll get let out early anyway. 

I think you will find he and his sidekick who did the kidnapping, or whatever it was, taking the child without permission and trespassing, are already out and safely back in the UK.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yours, his and however many others anecdotal evidence remains of exactly the same value as all the internet posts to the contrary.  Bizarre how you think some accounts would be worth more than others.

Ask yourself this question, why are the hearsay reports that you read when you Google them appearing on the internet, for what reason are those people making them public?

It's bizarre how you think that some accounts, those related from first-hand experience from people with nothing to be gained from their accounts wouldn't be worth more than others!

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

If he had of claimed to fear being murdered in the prison no doubt you would also claim that he was talking rubbish because you were treated with respect and regardless of the high number of murders in Thai prisons.  The fact is, the charities working with the prisons all talk of the rape problem, inmates talk of the rapes in their prisons and the reform in the 90's was designed to tackle the rape issue, obviously there is one whether you or other posters here encountered it or not.

"The fact is, the charities working with the prisons all talk of the rape problem..."

That is not a fact, it is your own fiction.  Just show one example of that relating to Thai prisons!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

There is a wealth of difference between UK prisons and Thai ones. Just because there is a rape issue at home, does not mean that there is one here. If he had said he feared dying from insanitary conditions, I would believe him, which also would be in reverse for at home. 

More unsubstantiated nonsense.  Where did you get the "unsanitary conditions" from?    

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What are you on about?  I was referring to the Thai charities working with Thai prisons, the accounts from Thai prisoners and the 90's prison reform of Thai prisons, which all speak of rape being an issue in Thai prisons.

Got a link?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

More unsubstantiated nonsense.  Where did you get the "unsanitary conditions" from?    

If you believe for one second that Thai prisons are spotlessly clean and hygienic, you are crazy and I dont think you will find anyone to agree with you.

Suggesting that they ARE sanitary is the unsubstantiated, and unsubstantiable nonsense.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What, listening to people who work in the prison service and the prison service themselves is dumb, we should listen to people who spent a few days in there instead, that makes sense, because you know so much more about it, right?  So tell us, what was the purpose of the reform in the late 90's?  What is the purpose of separating gay and straight people in some Thai prisons'?  What is the current policy on access to condoms in Thai prisons, why is that the policy and what was the event that changed that policy?  If you cant answer all of these questions then I am going to stick with my other clearly more knowledgeable and reliable sources, OK?

"So tell us, what was the purpose of the reform in the late 90's? "

This is about what was alleged to have happened in 2018, any reform of 20 years ago is irrelevant to this thread.

"What is the purpose of separating gay and straight people in some Thai prisons'?" 

There is no policy for that in Bangkok prisons, gays and katoeys are housed with normal prisoners and prisoners are not asked about their sexual tendencies on registration or at any other stage.  Out of 28 prisoners there were 5 katoeys in the cell I slept in.  Which prisons do have the policy you claim?

"What is the current policy on access to condoms in Thai prisons..."

Do you really think that condoms are officially available in Thai prisons?

35 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If you believe for one second that Thai prisons are spotlessly clean and hygienic, you are crazy and I dont think you will find anyone to agree with you.

Suggesting that they ARE sanitary is the unsubstantiated, and unsubstantiable nonsense.

It is not crazy not is it unsubstantiated, and, unless they've experienced a Thai jail, those disagreeing means nothing.  I've had the dubious pleasure of living in one!.

Cells are cleaned spotlessly every morning before the in-cell roll call as is the Thai-style toilet, before prisoners are let out for the day, you could eat your food off the floors.  

The Thai prison that you were in may have been different, though...which one was it?

Edited by Just Weird

An off topic post has been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

It's interesting to use a bit of Sherlock Holmes type backward reasoning to speculate on what might, theoretically, have really happened here.

A ladyboy, or two, having consensual sex with an inmate and probably discretely, translates into:

You were always scared of being raped. Blokes having sex in front of us was every day. You just had to look away.

Some guy making a comment, most likely as a jest, translates as:

'As I walked down the corridor around 600 Thai prisoners ran chanting to the mesh fence. The chilling chant was “you’ll die in prison”. It was to become the soundtrack to Sean’s time in Sakhon Nakon.'

Etc., etc.

Not denying there are problems; but I would guess this guy is suffering from cultural shock, having been ejected from his priviliged white male existence into the real world. 

PS Anyone interested in this subject should read the Amnesty International reports, which detail the real problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I have no idea who you have been listening to, or what outdated garbage you have been reading, but you are posting absolute nonsense. First off, gay and straight people are not separately housed in prisons, although I will grant that Nationwide, there is one prison for ladyboys only. Condoms are freely given out in the prisons, to avoid the spread of HIV and that has been going on for years. The ladyboys do a very swift trade in there and alleviate the needs of the desperate. Many years ago, I was wrongfully arrested on a warrant for someone with the same surname as myself and saw the joys of the prisons firsthand. It took a lot longer than Colinneils case to get straightened out, so I wasn't just there for a few days. I have been visiting hundreds of people in several different prisons since. I never saw any incident of rape. I never heard any incident of rape, and I have never heard any suggestion that it is a problem in Thai prisons from anyone apart from you. I just got back from visiting someone at Nong Plalai prison. He laughed his head off when I brought up the subject, and suggested you were delusional. I would suggest if you actually want to know the truth that you go visit some folks in the prison and find out that truth for yourself. Wherever you have been getting your information from is sadly out of tune with reality.

I have been listening to the two blogs I posted, a charity who supplies the condoms that are given out and the government announcements regarding the running of the prisons. 

There is no ladyboy prison, Minburi is a LGBT only prison currently on a trial run, but this is following the already long instated and considered successful, separating of LGBT that is seen in several prisons across Thailand, for example Pattaya has a separate wing for LGBT, you clearly don't actually know what you are talking about so why do you accuse me of not knowing?

You expect to see a rape while you are visiting?  The blog that is posted somewhere above on this thread makes clear that in their prison all the rape is being done by the guards, I doubt many prisoners would be telling all about that during a visit in front of the guards, would they?

As for your anecdotal evidence, so because one prisoner in one prison claims that there is no rape then you are happy to extrapolate that to all prisoners in all prisons in Thailand, and based on that clearly flawed logic you even want to suggest that you know the "truth", what kind of reality is it that is based on such ridiculous assumptions?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"So tell us, what was the purpose of the reform in the late 90's? "

This is about what was alleged to have happened in 2018, any reform of 20 years ago is irrelevant to this thread.

"What is the purpose of separating gay and straight people in some Thai prisons'?" 

There is no policy for that in Bangkok prisons, gays and katoeys are housed with normal prisoners and prisoners are not asked about their sexual tendencies on registration or at any other stage.  Out of 28 prisoners there were 5 katoeys in the cell I slept in.  Which prisons do have the policy you claim?

"What is the current policy on access to condoms in Thai prisons..."

Do you really think that condoms are officially available in Thai prisons?

The point of my post was to make clear that my sources have some inside info, whereas the poster I was replying to, with a total of a few nights inside one prison, does not.

The reform was partly to combat rape, it is relevant.

Several prisons separate, Pattaya does, Minburi is the first LGBT only prison.

Yes, condoms are officially available in some prisons, they are provided by Doctors Without Borders to the Department of Corrections who distribute them to the prisons, the project started in Minburi but has now been done in other prisons as well.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Ask yourself this question, why are the hearsay reports that you read when you Google them appearing on the internet, for what reason are those people making them public?

It's bizarre how you think that some accounts, those related from first-hand experience from people with nothing to be gained from their accounts wouldn't be worth more than others!

They are blogs, they are exactly the same as the people posting on here, bizarre that you see a difference between TV posters and others on other sites, what is that you feel makes TV posters immune to all the same accusations you put onto posters on other sites?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The point of my post was to make clear that my sources have some inside info, whereas the poster I was replying to, with a total of a few nights inside one prison, does not.

The reform was partly to combat rape, it is relevant.

Several prisons separate, Pattaya does, Minburi is the first LGBT only prison.

Yes, condoms are officially available in some prisons, they are provided by Doctors Without Borders to the Department of Corrections who distribute them to the prisons, the project started in Minburi but has now been done in other prisons as well.

No condoms are given out in thai prisons and no rapes, sex is sold you are so wrong on so many levels   

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"The fact is, the charities working with the prisons all talk of the rape problem..."

That is not a fact, it is your own fiction.  Just show one example of that relating to Thai prisons!

Read the MSF reports, they have spent the past 15 years working in Thai prisons to reduce the HIV infection rate, they have done this by supplying condoms and by helping initiate the first LGBT wings and now a whole prison.

"But by far the greatest risk factor for HIV transmission within Thai prisons is unprotected sex between men. Sex, consensual or otherwise, is part of prison life"

You could also read the FHI360 reports, which identified rape as being a leading cause of HIV infection in Thai prisons, or the UN Office of Drugs and Crime report of Thai prisons where they also identified rape as being a cause of HIV infection in Thai prisons.

Before accusing anyone of spreading fiction you should really at least read beyond the anecdotal posts and try something a little more scientific, like some actual research into the matter, don't you think?

5 minutes ago, myfriendu said:

No condoms are given out in thai prisons and no rapes, sex is sold you are so wrong on so many levels   

You are saying that both the Ministry and the MSF are lying in their reports?  They state that they supply them in three prisons.  They also report on rapes, I trust Doctors without Borders over you, thanks though.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Read the MSF reports, they have spent the past 15 years working in Thai prisons to reduce the HIV infection rate, they have done this by supplying condoms and by helping initiate the first LGBT wings and now a whole prison.

"But by far the greatest risk factor for HIV transmission within Thai prisons is unprotected sex between men. Sex, consensual or otherwise, is part of prison life"

You could also read the FHI360 reports, which identified rape as being a leading cause of HIV infection in Thai prisons, or the UN Office of Drugs and Crime report of Thai prisons where they also identified rape as being a cause of HIV infection in Thai prisons.

Before accusing anyone of spreading fiction you should really at least read beyond the anecdotal posts and try something a little more scientific, like some actual research into the matter, don't you think?

Totally untrue all of it, no money is going anywhere but in peoples back pockets.  

On 4/23/2018 at 1:16 PM, Lupatria said:

How much do you earn these days for an interview in a British talk show?

Another drama queen preparing a story for "Locked Up Abroad" or "Banged Up Abroad" in the UK version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Ive watched a few you tube vids of farang interviews in the big house and they all say they are treated well by thai prisoners and guards and basically left alone

The nonsense about dropping the soap in the shower is in the fertile imaginations of posters watching to many American jail docos

If the foreigners do not walk into their world such as indulge in betting and gambling on anything or borrowing money at ' their interest rates ' and if they treat everyone with a modicum of respect and are not loudmouths, they will have little or no problems at all. Most of the Thais live in their own world especially when you move into the big houses such as Chonburi, Klong Prem, and of course Bang Kwang. They are serving substantial sentences and are too busy with their scams and businesses to be bothered with foreigners.

You are spot on regards soap in showers, it doesn't occur.

Actually, the only shower areas are in the Bangkok prison hospital that I saw, the day to day ' Dens ' as they are called where prisoners are housed, not ' wings ' as described by Kieron00001, have troughs where sluicing over the body with bowls, is the showering method.It can get very tough when there was a water shortage and none for showering or emptying toilets which used to be a frequent problem at Pattaya prison.

Regards hygiene, it is very tough. People must consider we all have different bathing habits and different access to soap and shampoo, some cannot afford it, some are just dirty. Scabies and other skin diseases used to be a big problem, especially when you could get up to 90 plus in a remand cell in Chonburi in very confined quarters.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It is them telling me over the internet what they saw, exactly the same as I read elsewhere on the internet, why would you expect me to take one persons account as being more valid than another?  Just because one is on TV, get real!

The charity I refer to is MSF, they have been working in Thai prisons for the past two decades and have made large improvements in reducing HIV transmissions, one way they did this was by acknowledging the rape issue and dealing with it.  If they had of done what these TV posters had done, and pretended it did not exist, there would still be the number of infections we were seeing before them.

Just because its on TV suddenly it is not  rubbish off the internet, strange how some peoples minds work, an anonymous forum post is worth more to you than a research paper, crazy!  And I have taken no beating, only attempts to shut me down, but not one single scrap of anything that counters one single word I have said.

you have your own opinion, does not make it true its facts that count.  

• Like 1