Arrest made in bloody row between Bangkok rescue crews

webfact

Arrest made in bloody row between Bangkok rescue crews

By The Nation

Police have arrested a man who allegedly fired a gun during a turf war between rival rescue crews at a Bangkok hospital on April 11, resulting in a bystander being wounded.

Police announced on Monday morning that Neung Laokaew, 26, had been taken into custody in Sai Mai district the previous afternoon on a warrant issued by a criminal court.

He is charged with attempted murder, illegally possessing a gun and carrying a gun in a public place.

Police said he showed them where the pistol was at another location.

They said he confessed to shooting at rivals during a dispute between rescue workers of the Ruam Katanyoo Foundation and Sai Mai district disaster prevention volunteers.

The incident took place at Central General Hospital in Bang Khen district on the night of April 11.

The two groups were bickering over which areas each one could pick up accident victims for transport to hospital.

Savitree Sriviset, 22, the girlfriend of Ruam Katanyoo worker Thanachote Inkham, was shot in the melee.

Neung allegedly fled on his motorcycle.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343762

5 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Got too much time on my hands today, obviously.........  But,  "shot in the melee"..... Like "stabbed in the rotunda;  that's the most painful place"  in Stan Freeberg's "Wipe thee blood off my toga." 

Even worse if when admitted to hospital the doctor stated the bullet is in her yet.

Thanks to David Frost by the way.

Edited by overherebc

15 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

The rescue teams primarily work for the valuables they can lift off accident victims.  That's why there are turf wars.  The rescue transport fees are minuscule and must be divided among that team, whereas they can enrich themselves individually as freelancers by stealing.  I have personally experienced this and know other accident victims who have as well.  

I find this hard to believe

Do you ask strangers if they where robbed?

I dont doubt it happens, I just doubt that people have told you this, unless you hang around other people who find themselves accident prone

50 minutes ago, thhMan said:

I find this hard to believe

Do you ask strangers if they where robbed?

I dont doubt it happens, I just doubt that people have told you this, unless you hang around other people who find themselves accident prone

I was involved in a motorcycle accident and the "rescue" team stole an expensive pair of sunglasses and a usb stick out of my backpack.  I've had friends relate similar experiences.  <deleted> if you haven't spent enough time in Thailand to know how things work in the Kingdom.

• Like 2

I have been told by numerous Thai peple that the 'rescue' teams are prone to steal from the victims - even money from wallets or in the person's pockets as well as  cell phones' cameras and other items of value.

It is a disgrace and these 'rescue' units should be banned- Thailand needs a professional paramedic system.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Anybody in the USA remember the old movie from the 70's "Mother, Jugs and Speed"?  OJ Simpson, Raquel Welsh.  Ambulance/rescue drivers.  Shook patients down for money

Yep remember it well.a blast from the past.?

On 4/23/2018 at 12:14 AM, zaphod reborn said:

The rescue teams primarily work for the valuables they can lift off accident victims.  That's why there are turf wars.  The rescue transport fees are minuscule and must be divided among that team, whereas they can enrich themselves individually as freelancers by stealing.  I have personally experienced this and know other accident victims who have as well.  

"Amazing Thailand"   ; I wonder where the money for public services went.......

OK, I can understand a turf war.  But if a medic from "Company A" shoots a bystander, shouldn't "Company B" get to haul that person in? Kind of like a foul on the field or something?  Free kick or something.  I'm not familiar with contact sports like rescue crews.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:21 AM, gk10002000 said:

Anybody in the USA remember the old movie from the 70's "Mother, Jugs and Speed"?  OJ Simpson, Raquel Welsh.  Ambulance/rescue drivers.  Shook patients down for money

Bill Cosby, not OJ Simpson