'Retirement' Visa and bank option

Apologies to all if I've totally botched or put together the wrong impression.

Can someone tell me if it's true you can get a longer term 'retirement' visa if you deposit $25,000 in a Thai Bank and are of retirement age? Do you have to still show proof of income then that is not based on working in Thailand and my impression from someone was that the retirement age was a bit open to interpretation?

Again, any pointers on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

tideout

Not all Thai consulates handle it the same way. Where do plan to apply?

Look for the non-immigrant visa category O/A or the Long-Stay visa on the consulate's website.

The money can be in any currency in any country.

2 hours ago, tideout said:

Can someone tell me if it's true you can get a longer term 'retirement' visa if you deposit $25,000 in a Thai Bank and are of retirement age? Do you have to still show proof of income then that is not based on working in Thailand and my impression from someone was that the retirement age was a bit open to interpretation?

If you are asking about the Non-Immigrant 'O-A' Visa; It is valid for 1 year from issue and allows multiple entries during that year. Each time you enter the country you are granted permission to stay for 1 year. You need the equivalent of 800K in a bank account, usually in your home country or a Thai bank, OR any income of at least 65K per month, OR a combination of the two. You don't need to be retired, just be over 50.

If you are asking about extending your stay after you've entered the country; you need to enter with a Non-Immigrant visa and then apply to extend your stay at a local immigration office. You need at least 800K in a Thai bank, OR a certified (by your embassy) income of 65K pm, OR a combination of the two. You must be over 50. You don't need to show proof that you have retired.

9 hours ago, tideout said:

Can someone tell me if it's true you can get a longer term 'retirement' visa if you deposit $25,000 in a Thai Bank and are of retirement age?

You don't have to put in a Thai bank or show monthly income. The money in a US bank is good enough. I guess even your IRA or 401K will be good enough. There is a youtube video where a person got it showing money in an IRA. Yes, you need to be 50 or more. You get an O-A visa good for one year and if entry timed correctly, you can stay up to two years. 

Edited by onera1961

Another classic case where the uncertainty of "is it a VISA or an extension of stay"??....

Some guys thinks it is a Non Immigrat O-A VISA the OP is talking about, because he uses the word VISA... But as so many guys are miss-using this word VISA, we all feel a bit unsecure of what is the Op really asking for???  I DONT KNOW FOR SURE...

glegolo

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

Not all Thai consulates handle it the same way. Where do plan to apply?

Look for the non-immigrant visa category O/A or the Long-Stay visa on the consulate's website.

The money can be in any currency in any country.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you are asking about the Non-Immigrant 'O-A' Visa; It is valid for 1 year from issue and allows multiple entries during that year. Each time you enter the country you are granted permission to stay for 1 year. You need the equivalent of 800K in a bank account, usually in your home country or a Thai bank, OR any income of at least 65K per month, OR a combination of the two. You don't need to be retired, just be over 50.

If you are asking about extending your stay after you've entered the country; you need to enter with a Non-Immigrant visa and then apply to extend your stay at a local immigration office. You need at least 800K in a Thai bank, OR a certified (by your embassy) income of 65K pm, OR a combination of the two. You must be over 50. You don't need to show proof that you have retired.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

You don't have to put in a Thai bank or show monthly income. The money in a US bank is good enough. I guess even your IRA or 401K will be good enough. There is a youtube video where a person got it showing money in an IRA. Yes, you need to be 50 or more. You get an O-A visa good for one year and if entry timed correctly, you can stay up to two years. 

The 800K Baht does not need to be in a Thai Bank?

18 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It requires a deposit of 3 million Baht in a Thai Bank Account for 12 months before the visa application.

Wrong info. It only has to be in the bank on the date of application.

image.png.0ce652f653184fc00a238ef638c097c6.png

Souce: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/other/7394/80938-Non-–-Immigrant-Visa--“O---X”-(Long-Stay-10-years).html

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for the thoughtful responses and my apologies for not getting back in here until now.

I think the most doable situation is going to be the OA long stay visa. I'll be at the 25K mark this year and it would obviously be easier if I can just show the money in my US bank account. I'm 58 y/o, US citizen working in Vietnam for what it's worth.

I'm thinking about what's possible in the coming years and I've always really liked Thailand. I'm imagining different ways of working things out there.

13 hours ago, tideout said:

I think the most doable situation is going to be the OA long stay visa. ... I'm 58 y/o, US citizen working in Vietnam for what it's worth.

Unless you are a permanent resident of Vietnam you cannot apply for an O-A there, an O-A must be obtained in your home country, the US

14 hours ago, tideout said:

I think the most doable situation is going to be the OA long stay visa. I'll be at the 25K mark this year and it would obviously be easier if I can just show the money in my US bank account. I'm 58 y/o, US citizen working in Vietnam for what it's worth.

You also have the option of proving 65k baht of income to apply for an extension of stay here. If you are working outside the country that income can be used to meet the requirement.

55 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Unless you are a permanent resident of Vietnam you cannot apply for an O-A there, an O-A must be obtained in your home country, the US

Yeah, I have temporary residency here in Vietnam for work. Sounds like I'd have to get the O-A from the US can't be done from here (Vietnam) or within Thailand.

Again, thanks for the insight!

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

13 minutes ago, tideout said:

Yeah, I have temporary residency here in Vietnam for work. Sounds like I'd have to get the O-A from the US can't be done from here (Vietnam) or within Thailand.

Again, thanks for the insight!

Actually, according to the Ho Chi Min City Royal Thai Consulate-General website, it looks like a temporary residence card might do the trick:-

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/54613-Non-Immigrant-Visa--“O-A”-(Long-Stay).html

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Actually, according to the Ho Chi Min City Royal Thai Consulate-General website, it looks like a temporary residence card might do the trick:-

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/54613-Non-Immigrant-Visa--“O-A”-(Long-Stay).html

You know how it is in SE Asia, a lot of stuff can be difficult to get done so ya' gotta love it when it looks easy!

Thanks for the pointer!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

It does not need to be in a Thai bank if applying for a OA long stay visa at a embassy or official Thai consulate.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

In this case, when it is time to renew the visa, what is the procedure?

Should it be done at the same  embassy or official Thai consulate in the country where the bank account is?

Or can it be done in Thailand itself - if so, any specific documents necessary?

8 minutes ago, ravip said:

In this case, when it is time to renew the visa, what is the procedure?

Should it be done at the same  embassy or official Thai consulate in the country where the bank account is?

Or can it be done in Thailand itself - if so, any specific documents necessary?

You have to go back to a embassy or official Thai consulate in your home country to apply for another visa.

You cannot apply for a OA visa here.

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. The money has to be in a Thai bank to apply.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to go back to a embassy or official Thai consulate in your home country to apply for another visa.

You cannot apply for a OA visa here.

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. The money has to be in a Thai bank to apply.

Thank you very much for the info. Now the procedure is clear.

wait , wot ?

having money in my bank account in my home country is

just as good as having it in an account in thailand ??!

whats all the fuss about having it in a thai account then ?

i didnt get a 90 day non O in cambodia cause i didnt have the money in a thai bank account,

is it enough to have it in my home country for retirement extension and 90 day report ?

12 minutes ago, poanoi said:

having money in my bank account in my home country is

just as good as having it in an account in thailand ??!

Where has it been said anywhere in this this topic that if did not have to be in a Thai bank account to apply for an extension of stay.

It can only be in a bank account in your home country if you apply for a OA visa at a embassy or consulate there.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Where has it been said anywhere in this this topic that if did not have to be in a Thai bank account to apply for an extension of stay.

It can only be in a bank account in your home country if you apply for a OA visa at a embassy or consulate there.

I had asked a couple of questions related to this and I think there were posts saying that the funds could be in your home country account...I think another post suggested it needed to be verified by your embassy before submitting it to the Thai immigration people.

Edited by tideout

9 hours ago, tideout said:

I had asked a couple of questions related to this and I think there were posts saying that the funds could be in your home country account...I think another post suggested it needed to be verified by your embassy before submitting it to the Thai immigration people.

The equivalent of 800k baht cannot be in a bank outside the country to apply for an extension here. I think you are confusing it with the 65k baht income option which is proved by a letter from your embassy.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The equivalent of 800k baht cannot be in a bank outside the country to apply for an extension here. I think you are confusing it with the 65k baht income option which is proved by a letter from your embassy.

Ah, I think you're right. Sorry to muddy the waters further!