online Thai stock market trading

My wife wants us to start playing on the thai stock market - anybody got any recommendations as to which brokers have a decent online system with an English version? Someone that accepted Paypal directly would be nice as I get paid through it, but I'd be surprised to find that here. 

I assume it will be easier to open an account in her name. 

I think she wants us to do day trading, though I'd prefer longer term investments - I've known a couple of people who both  made a decent profit for a while in the day trading game, then lost it all and twice as much trying to recoup the losses. On the other hand I also knew a Chinese girl who made a very good living from it for many years, but she was terribly dedicated  and spent about 12 hours a day at it. 

bualuang securities have an english website for trading, you can open an account at a bangkok bank branch if there is no bualuang office near you.

Open an account in your wifes' name as it makes it easier to trade.

I'm not intending to invest anything we can't afford to lose - will only work with what cash I have, rather than work on a leveraged basis - I have invested in shares years ago (when I had money ) but then it was for long term returns, and of course I don't know much about the firms on the Thai market.

I consider day trading to be gambling, but a little like poker, were using you brain can help you beat the average, but overconfidence can quite easily make you lose everything.

Like I said, I've known people in the past who have encouraged me to try it and have done quite well out of it for a while  themselves but with only a 1/3rd success rate in the end. 

It's better than the success rate than with people I know who have played the FX market - every one of those has lost their shirt eventually.

My wife has friends who keep  encouraging her to try it, it's easier to have a go, with a fairly limited stake and see how we get on, than persuade her it's probably a bad idea. If we lose we will give up, if we make money we will continue.   

And it's something to give the old gray cells some new stimulus ....

Edited by tebee

9 minutes ago, tebee said:

I'm not intending to invest anything we can't afford to lose - will only work with what cash I have, rather than work on a leveraged basis - I have invested in shares years ago (when I had money ) but then it was for long term returns, and of course I don't know much about the firms on the Thai market.

I consider day trading to be gambling, but a little like poker, were using you brain can help you beat the average, but overconfidence can quite easily make you lose everything.

Like I said, I've known people in the past who have encouraged me to try it and have done quite well out of it for a while  themselves but with only a 1/3rd success rate in the end. 

It's better than the success rate than with people I know who have played the FX market - every one of those has lost their shirt eventually.

My wife has friends who keep  encouraging her to try it, it's easier to have a go, with a fairly limited stake and see how we get on, than persuade her it's probably a bad idea. If we lose we will give up, if we make money we will continue.   

To be successful in "Day trading" one needs to have information about the daily Flow in the market.
This is not usually available in Charts.

But then again, some people have a good feel for the market and despite not knowing what is going on make money, while similarly I know people that have great analytical skills that hardly ever get the timing right in the market.

If you have some cash available, try, and either you'll be drinking Champagne or can close the subject for a long term.

1 minute ago, steve73 said:

Try trading crypto's.. much easier to set-up and definitely better returns (especially if you're day trading) and probably safer than anything Thai.

;-)) 

I absolutely second that! I have been a day trader with Maybank KimEng as my broker for 5 years, made gains, lost money, overall: a waste of time. Crypto trading is way better. I still have money in the stock market, but I will take it back and put into cryptos. After months of losing ground, the cryptos are finally gaining momentum again.

Also: the stock market is very time limited, Mo-Fri, often extended weekends, think about it. The crypto market is always open 24/24 365/365. Take my advice: stay far away from the stock market!

My wife trades using RHB Securities ... www.osk188.co.th    trading of course done in english ... website in Thai ............

You will need a bank account for this purpose and RHB will take the money/and return the money to/from the account. I think it's a three day settlement... she doesn't day trade .....

2 hours ago, cryo said:

Don't!!! there is a massive alignment due to stock and shares probably within the next 24 months now is definitely not the time to enter the market as a new punter. Ending of quantative easing and rising interest rates around the world only points to market depreciation possibly on a large scale. We are seeing the end of cheap borrowing which will lead to lots of funds turning their equities into bonds or cash to forestall very possible reductions in the market and they will be looking for new punters to offload their portfolios onto at the top of the cycle. 

Ken.

I have heard this myself. I assume you are suggesting that not only stocks but also mutual funds and debt instruments will be severely hit. In that case,  what is there left? Parking money in a bank account earning below the inflation rate seems pointless for long term investments. 

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I have heard this myself. I assume you are suggesting that not only stocks but also mutual funds and debt instruments will be severely hit. In that case,  what is there left? Parking money in a bank account earning below the inflation rate seems pointless for long term investments. 

What's left? Trading cryptos. I never lost money with cryptos, only made money. Using your common sense this is imho the easiest way of making money from your computer/laptop/tablet from wherever you are on this planet. If you're based in Thailand, I can recommend you Bitcoin Thailand. 

Bualunag as a online broker is OK,but many data are in Thai only,although have English  translation for main data.

I trade on stock-markets 22 years already,all over the globe  and I can tell you that Thai stock-market is very difficult one, for a trade.Daily trading is disaster for novices.I do not give her 1% chance to make profit in a row.I do not know anyone who make fortune on day trading with stock,but I know a lot that make with swing and position trading.You can do well on Forex or with options,but You need at lest 10 years practice and some luck as well.Now is very hard to make profit on SET cos. raising interest rates and economy here is still not good enough.There is some statistic about day trading and only 1-2 % is successful .About same in options.In fundamental,swing and position trade is about 9-10 % successful,but I think fundamental trading on Thai SET is a not good idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dario said:

What's left? Trading cryptos. I never lost money with cryptos, only made money. Using your common sense this is imho the easiest way of making money from your computer/laptop/tablet from wherever you are on this planet. If you're based in Thailand, I can recommend you Bitcoin Thailand. 

No,I would not recommend that.Very dangerous gambling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lionsincity said:

Thai wife wants to play with your money on the stock market?.......tell her to go lose her own money

That's pretty normal here isn't it ?

• Like 1

There's a Swedish guy in our city who was brought in by some Thais who knew exactly that he'd never win in the long run.

Some days he's talking about very high losses. Be careful, let your wife use her money! You've been warned. 

I had some shares here once - never again. They had gone up, according to listed prices, but when I sold them the money paid didn’t resemble the ‘listed’ selling price at all. No explanation forthcoming- gave up.

1 hour ago, KKr said:

To be successful in "Day trading" one needs to have information about the daily Flow in the market.
This is not usually available in Charts.

But then again, some people have a good feel for the market and despite not knowing what is going on make money, while similarly I know people that have great analytical skills that hardly ever get the timing right in the market.

If you have some cash available, try, and either you'll be drinking Champagne or can close the subject for a long term.

Yep, one friend I had used  the candle charts to try to predict things - seem to work fine for about 18 months, but then it all went wrong and he not only lost all he had made, but he also throw lots more money at it trying to recoup his losses. Lost the lot in the end.

On the other hand Theresa, my  Chinese friend, played it by ear and made a decent living off it for the rest of the time I knew her.

When I'm in Thailand we live off what she earns, so I'm not adverse  to using my royalty checks to try this for a while (unearned income is somehow easier to lose) We will know one way or the other at the end.  

Learn as much as you can, and then try 'dummy trading' for a few months.

Start with an imaginary pool, say $5000, and trade on paper, not actual trading. Keep accurate records of every buy and sell, and after a predetermined time, 3 to 6 months, check what you have left, on paper.

That will give you an idea of whether you are likely to make any money, or are even interested.

Day trading is a recipe for losing money/ financial disaster, except for the very skilled, and knowledgeable, with nerves of steel.

There's an old saying in investing... the boring way to get rich? Slowly!

Buy good companies well, and hold them. Companies paying good dividends are a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

Does she know anything? Do you know anything? If not, then don't.

The mere fact that you are asking the question is, for me, a danger sign. In all likelihood, someone has convinced her it is a foolproof road to riches. It is - only for banks and brokers and the very well informed.

And surprise surprise its YOUR Money you will be Trading with not Hers! , there are some very good Legit Income opportunities out there with minimal risk, however you do have to put some effort into it.