online Thai stock market trading

stocks .... come on, no money to be made there.. 

check out crypto... much more gains to be made. Blockchain is the future 

literally everyone that got into crypto more than 1 year ago is now a millionaire or at least very wealthy. 
because the boom already happened its not so easy to make money anymore, but im 100% that there will be a steady growth from here on .. stocks on the other hand are highly overvalued and wont be going anywhere in the next few years

by the way.. everyone who wants to do day trading and expect to make money (without years of experience) is absolutely insane 

Edited by Austrian26
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

stocks .... come on, no money to be made there.. 

check out crypto... much more gains to be made. Blockchain is the future 

literally everyone that got into crypto more than 1 year ago is now a millionaire or at least very wealthy. 
because the boom already happened its not so easy to make money anymore, but im 100% that there will be a steady growth from here on .. stocks on the other hand are highly overvalued and wont be going anywhere in the next few years

by the way.. everyone who wants to do day trading and expect to make money (without years of experience) is absolutely insane 

Yes,you are right about daily trading,but everyone who got in crypto now is even more insane!Before ,yes,people who start to trade early could make some profit .Now NO .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

Yes,you are right about daily trading,but everyone who got in crypto now is even more insane!Before ,yes,people who start to trade early could make some profit .Now NO .

I missed to opportunity to get into bitcoin in about 2009, not long after it started. I was interested in it and had downloaded the source code. At the time had about 50 computers lying round from a failed business venture  to import ex-corporate computers. Had got the electricity board to cut off the commercial supply to the warehouse, but they cut off the domestic supply instead and left the warehouse with electricity, but no meter. Seriously thought  about setting up those 50 computers as miners. But a test showed that even with the simpler algorithm then, they'd only produce about 1 bitcoin a week. I think at the time 1 bitcoin was worth less than a dollar, so my 50 computers would have only produced about 200 $ per month and decided it wasn't worth it.  

200 bitcon are now worth about $2,000,000

28 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

Insane ? we are just getting started. Everything will go ballistic in the next 1-2 years. Adoption is already happening. 

123_001.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tebee said:

...start playing on the thai stock market - anybody got any recommendations...

I use SCB-online, which is quite easy to both set-up and use (trading platform); however you'll need a SCB savings bank account with an ATM-card to do it, and a balance of min. 30,000 baht when applying for online trading.

Other banks probably have similar systems – I'm not recommending one – but being familiar with SCB I'm able to share a bit about that system.

Both a Thai national and a foreigner can open an online trading account (I have one, and my Thai GF has her own).

Registration can be done online, just click on "Open New Account" next to the log-in.

Approval of requested documentation can be done in your local SCB branch, where you have the savings account, and they will send the approved documents to the main office in Bangkok for you.

In about a week the trading account will be opened.

You will have a personal account officer assigned, and you can communicate with via Email, in English if it's an account for foreigners.

As foreigner you can only buy SET-stocks within the 49% limit that can be owned by foreigners, however a number of plc have registered for stocks without voting rights, that can be held by foreigners outside the 49% limit. You can mark NVDR (Non-Voting Depository Receipt) when you buy stocks (can be set as default marked), making it easy to buy a large variety of SET stocks.

You move money from you SCB savings account into your stock trading account instantly by a click of a mouse, any money deposit there gives at the moment 1% annual interest. Money moved out from the stock account, and back into your SCB savings account, is also a mouse-click, but it takes a few bank days for a transfer. When buying stocks the money are withdrawn immediately, when selling stocks it takes five banks day for the money to appear in your account; you may have a "line available" for buying, balance might be depending of due payment from sale. You will have a daily trading limit in your cash account (live available), which you however can ask your account officer to change to fit your needs, and available funds. Dividends are paid directly into your SCB savings account, after 10% dividend tax has been withheld.

I'm not day trading, but a long term investor that look at both dividends and potential value increase. So far my SET portfolio (the stocks I choose) has performed very well (not a gurantee or recommendation for all SET stocks or any future outcome).

:smile:

40 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

Insane ? we are just getting started. Everything will go ballistic in the next 1-2 years. Adoption is already happening. 

123_001.png

Hi Austrian, the chart you're using is interesting, showing percentages by 1 hour / 1 day / 7 days. May I ask which site you are using? I'm using coinmarketcap.com.

2 hours ago, Acemaker said:

And surprise surprise its YOUR Money you will be Trading with not Hers! , there are some very good Legit Income opportunities out there with minimal risk, however you do have to put some effort into it.

We have most of our money in rental property  - we currently have 4 in France and 8 in thailand. Problem is the returns aren't great in Thai 3-4%  and while we can get 11% in France can only do that if we buy and renovate ourselves. And I'm getting older - it's taking me longer and longer to do things, last house still isn't finished and it's been more than 3 years now, though some of that has been down to illness on my behalf and  unreliable workers. 

Reminds me of many years back when I had a gambling problem...my favourite question for my pals was..."Any tips?."....one day a guy replied..."Yes"...I have a "sure thing" a "dead cert"...."Go on" ....I said ..."what is it"?...."Put  your money on the mantelpiece"...he said...and it'll still be there tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tebee said:

I'm not intending to invest anything we can't afford to lose - will only work with what cash I have, rather than work on a leveraged basis - I have invested in shares years ago (when I had money ) but then it was for long term returns, and of course I don't know much about the firms on the Thai market.

I consider day trading to be gambling, but a little like poker, were using you brain can help you beat the average, but overconfidence can quite easily make you lose everything.

Like I said, I've known people in the past who have encouraged me to try it and have done quite well out of it for a while  themselves but with only a 1/3rd success rate in the end. 

It's better than the success rate than with people I know who have played the FX market - every one of those has lost their shirt eventually.

My wife has friends who keep  encouraging her to try it, it's easier to have a go, with a fairly limited stake and see how we get on, than persuade her it's probably a bad idea. If we lose we will give up, if we make money we will continue.   

And it's something to give the old gray cells some new stimulus ....

And it is an absorbing and sometimes profitable exercise too.  So try it.  I use TISCO in Chiang Mai.  This year has been difficult and I do not know anyone who has made money with conventional long term investments.  I am down 5% on the last 12 months.  My winners are TOA,  and BEAUTY .  I use KGI as a pretty safe Bank.  Looking forward there is not much in the way of good news for investors but there will always be a good company that will break the trend.  For sure in Thailand the so called Government makes life difficult.  BUT the future is ELECTRICITY and that is a reasonable starting point for your research.  Look at EA [Energy Absolute], a good company hammered by recent Government changes.  Could be worth a punt at this low price.  GUNKUL is also solid but currently overvalued.  COM7 has been doing OK in the TECH RETAIL sector.  There are opportunities, but like all the others say, you will lose money if you are a novice and think that this is Poker in a different guise.

Rather than invest directly into the stock market, save some in long term funds (LTF) or a passive fund that invests into for instance the SET 50 or 100. Those tend to perform better in the long term and the return is better than bank interest. 

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Unless you are confident and know all about stocks and shares stay away otherwise you are likely to get your fingers burnt !

"Unless you are confident and know all about ..."

your wife, stay away otherwise you are likely to get your (deleted) burnt

If your wife is Thai or Chinese she likely sees this as some golden gambling opportunity. I would rather keep mine away from any gambling!

The only people I know who do okay usually have a longer term strategy and the dividends are an important part of it. 

You use the word 'play' but it is a bit more serious than that. Sorry to answer a question you didn't really ask.

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If your wife is Thai or Chinese she likely sees this as some golden gambling opportunity. I would rather keep mine away from any gambling!

The only people I know who do okay usually have a longer term strategy and the dividends are an important part of it. 

You use the word 'play' but it is a bit more serious than that. Sorry to answer a question you didn't really ask.

She is Chinese (born there, but now with Thai nationality),  although she says she hates gambling......

I suppose she doesn't see day trading as gambling, though I tend to think it is. Like you I think a  longer term strategy taking dividends  into consideration is better.  

• Thanks 1

Day trading I stick to my home market (the UK) I feel I have more control and is better regulated and I have not got to keep translating press releases from Thai.

For longer term investments you can buy ETFs on the UK (& other markets)market investing in many countries including Thailand, One I would look at is:

XTRACKERS MSCI THAILAND INDEX UCITS ETF

There are GBP or USD versions. The price on 11/01/2016 was GBP 9.97 now GBP20.45. There is no guarantee history will repeat its self this investment may go up or down over the next few years.

Its 10 largest holdings are.                           % of Fund

Kasikornbank PCL NVDR                        11.34%

PTT PCL Fgn                                                9.93%

Advanced Info Service PCL Fgn               8.73%

CP ALL PCL Fgn                                          7.94%

Siam Commercial Bank PCL Fgn             7.52%

Siam Cement PCL NVDR                           6.70%

Airports of Thailand PCL Fgn                   4.62%

PTT Exploration & Production PCL Fgn  3.66%

Bangkok Bank PCL NVDR                         3.34%

PTT Global Chemical (fgn)                        3.33%

With this fund you are investing  in the growth of the Thai economy, have a chance to get reasonable returns without the risks and time involvement involved with Day Trading .

I do not give share tips so please do not ask. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

123_001.png

I think ,You will lose all in a middle run and even a short run ,but You are just not aware of it.

18 hours ago, Straight8 said:

"Playing" on the stockmarket. That about says it all.

Bit of advice, as others have said, if you are not experienced, DO NOT attempt to day trade. You will get bleached!!

Take time to learn the stockmarket and begin by building a small portfolio with quality stocks. The banks are good stocks to begin with.

You picked up on the right word ... playing

If they want to play with their money, fine; but be ready to give it all away. Of course, he could easily come back in a year driving a new Roller!

We don't seem to have any daytraders among us. Otherwise the Bid/Ask spread would have been addressed a long time ago.
Compared to other markets, Thai-Stocks are not very "liquid", thus resulting in high Bid/Ask spreads.
For day trading, high Bid/Ask spreads are deadly.

Best trading vehicule for day trading: $ vs Euro (Forex). Lowest Bid/Ask spreads on the planet.
Happy trading!

Day trading I stick to my home market (the UK) I feel I have more control and is better regulated and I have not got to keep translating press releases from Thai.

For longer term investments you can buy ETFs on the UK (& other markets)market investing in many countries including Thailand, One I would look at is:

XTRACKERS MSCI THAILAND INDEX UCITS ETF

There are GBP or USD versions. The price on 11/01/2016 was GBP 9.97 now GBP20.45. There is no guarantee history will repeat its self this investment may go up or down over the next few years.

Its 10 largest holdings are.                           % of Fund

Kasikornbank PCL NVDR                        11.34%

PTT PCL Fgn                                                9.93%

Advanced Info Service PCL Fgn               8.73%

CP ALL PCL Fgn                                          7.94%

Siam Commercial Bank PCL Fgn             7.52%

Siam Cement PCL NVDR                           6.70%

Airports of Thailand PCL Fgn                   4.62%

PTT Exploration & Production PCL Fgn  3.66%

Bangkok Bank PCL NVDR                         3.34%

PTT Global Chemical (fgn)                        3.33%

With this fund you are investing  in the growth of the Thai economy, have a chance to get reasonable returns without the risks and time involvement involved with Day Trading .

I do not give share tips so please do not ask. 

On 4/24/2018 at 2:20 PM, nahkit said:

Open an account in your wifes' name as it makes it easier to trade

Please provide more information, how much harder is it opening accounts in foreign name. 

Also could I put in my children's name, what would be the minimum age. 

Edited by rickjza

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

Please provide more information, how much harder is it opening accounts in foreign name. 

Also could I put in my children's name, what would be the minimum age. 

I said easier to trade, not easier to open.

I opened an account in my own name, bought shares and then a few months later I got a phone call telling me a dividend payment was due but I wasn't eligible to receive it because I should of bought my shares on the foreigner book and not the thai book.

56 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I said easier to trade, not easier to open.

I opened an account in my own name, bought shares and then a few months later I got a phone call telling me a dividend payment was due but I wasn't eligible to receive it because I should of bought my shares on the foreigner book and not the thai book.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:20 PM, nahkit said:

Open an account in your wifes' name as it makes it easier to trade

On 24/04/2018 at 6:09 PM, vukovar77 said:

I still make money from crypto regularly 

The people that say that its over haven't a clue and just don't understand it themselves.....