Would you use a bank deposit machine? This Thai man is mad that he did

webfact

5 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Let's hope that the man who lost the 75,000 will be more careful in the future!  I must confess that I am mystified by the Man's logic in assuming that if he could withdraw 5,000, the previous transaction went OK.  These are two distinct transactions and have nothing to do with each other unless the man had less than 5,000 in his account before his attempted deposit.   Actually, it would be a considerate public service if the banks were to offer their customers a little pamphlet about how to use ATMs securely.  It does rather sound as though the man after him took the money in the deposit tray and fled.  I assume that none of his 80,000 got into his account all.  There are several possibilities: the ATM malfunctioned or the man didn't use the proper procedure when attempting to deposit, allowing the man behind him to make off with the money or the depositer is being untruthful about some or all of the money and is trying a shakedown on the bank.

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

He didn't withdraw anything, a cash deposit machine is not an ATM, he got 5K returned because the deposit machine rejected the notes.

Actually - some models of Cash machines are also a ATM I have one in my Isaan Amphoe city outside the Lotus Express from Kasikorn Bank. ??

15 minutes ago, George Feedback said:

NO!

One and only one time I used a deposit (SCB) machine it robbed me of 1000 baht.

Never again.

Used cash machines, Deposit machines, Credit cards,  Debit cards,

All from Thai Banks accounts here for 20 Years. 5  accounts 3 banks all opened with out a work permit and all that  BS.

Millions of baht in transactions, all transferred from home country.

Never, Ever a problem. in fact less problems than my home country banks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saying. :jap:

Not sure what this guy was up to, but not a bank issue.

more like a not to smart Somchai day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Should have not been a problem depositing that amount had he put half the bills in two consecutive deposits. Clueless user should have sent his wife to run the errand instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I used ADMs many times, never had a problem. They accept at least 100 notes at once, maybe more. Notes that the machine doesn't like for whatever reason are returned.

Afaik (i always use my ATM card) you can also deposit money without using your ATM card by entering your account number instead, so if you do it like this there is no waiting for an ATM card to be returned.

But when i use such a machine i do of course always wait for the receipt and make sure it's correct before i walk away.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

In a country that prides itself in patience ( mai pen rai ) he didn't want to wait in line to make the deposit so he use the machine to deposit his 80,000 but got 5000 in return?  Hello? 

The photo of the guy... brown pants white T-shirts.. this in general are cops I see riding on their bikes when off duty without a helmet?:shock1:

22 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

The machine did not accept some of his Banknotes and you can try them again or not and not deposit these rejected ones.

But you still have to confirm the machine that you want to deposit the accepted Banknotes and than you receive a statement about your deposit.

But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer? was "lucky" ?

Over time I lost a bunch of Bangkok Bank ATM cards in Thai ATM machines - the money comes here first - I take it and walk away forgetting the card.

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. ?

up for on, adj after nouns, money before card, 2min traffic light cycles with 1 group allowed to proceed, parkong a mocy front in etc. lots of 'backwards' things to us..

thais love doing things 'their' way even if it makes zero sense to the rest of the world..

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, shady86 said:

He did not get a mini statement to confirm amount deposited? Sounds like scam to me.

more like stupitity! 

Not in this country! never trust any bank in thailand, always get a receipt for anything you do. and even when you have a receipt they do ot want to take responsibility and give you your money back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seriously? Deposit money in one? Hell, I won't take money out of one. 

Go to the bank, get cash from your account, keep it at home, and spend it until you need more. 

Simply reducing your exposure to such things is the best defense. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

The machine did not accept some of his Banknotes and you can try them again or not and not deposit these rejected ones.

But you still have to confirm the machine that you want to deposit the accepted Banknotes and than you receive a statement about your deposit.

But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer? was "lucky" ?

Over time I lost a bunch of Bangkok Bank ATM cards in Thai ATM machines - the money comes here first - I take it and walk away forgetting the card.

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. ?

lost many an ATM card in the past because of that very same reason. in fact i don't know many westerners who haven't. 

• Thanks 1

I used a kbank one yesterday. Annoying that I could not get an English menu but there was a bank official nearby who helped me out. Got a screen menu saying the amount that the machine thought I'd placed in the drawer. It had a yes/no answer.

Impossible for someone with a brain to deposit more than the machine thinks you've deposited. If the amounts don't tally you press NO.

Scam or brainless you decide.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I used a kbank one yesterday. Annoying that I could not get an English menu but there was a bank official nearby who helped me out. Got a screen menu saying the amount that the machine thought I'd placed in the drawer. It had a yes/no answer.

Impossible for someone with a brain to deposit more than the machine thinks you've deposited. If the amounts don't tally you press NO.

Scam or brainless you decide.

yes. all of the kbank deposit machines i've used don't have english. once you know it's easy. but they should have it in english too

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, clash said:

yes. all of the kbank deposit machines i've used don't have english. once you know it's easy. but they should have it in english too

Its part of the culture here. Farangs aren't supposed to deposit cash money only withdraw & spend, withdraw & spend.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Its part of the culture here. Farangs aren't supposed to deposit cash money only withdraw & spend, withdraw & spend.

true. i even said the same to my mrs, she disagreed so i said why is it the only thing that isn't in english then? i rest my case 555

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exactly.

I use these CDMs from time to time and most often they have a few notes to "complain" about. Stupid if you just remove and leave.

Always worth having a look at the screen where you are asked to confirm/continue.

And CDMs always give a slip.

True, but have you noticed that if you keep them for a while (for tax or other purposes) the print on them fades away and they soon become unreadable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, clash said:

Edited by Pib

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Every KBank ATM I've used has English.  Yes, the initial screen which offers the various language is busy/small print, but English is one of the selections.  I have used many Thai bank ATMs....Bangkok Bank, Kbank, SCB, KrungThai, AEON, etc...etc...etc....they all offer the English language.

then deposit cash and see what happens

go on. i want you to go and deposit cash into a kbank machine and show me the options in english

don't waste your time because they don't have the options in english. obviously haven't used that option i guess

Edited by clash

24 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

True, but have you noticed that if you keep them for a while (for tax or other purposes) the print on them fades away and they soon become unreadable?

Yes, but unfortunately true for about all kind of slips with thermal printer paper.

As I check the accounts via internet about any other day the slips are lapsed.

At Kasikorn I have SMS notification for all transactions.

So as soon as money is withdrawn or deposited I get a corresponding SMS.

Also the CDMs show the new balance and for those who want to be 100% safe: take the bankbook with you and do an update.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, but unfortunately true for about all kind of slips with thermal printer paper.

As I check the accounts via internet about any other day the slips are lapsed.

At Kasikorn I have SMS notification for all transactions.

So as soon as money is withdrawn or deposited I get a corresponding SMS.

Also the CDMs show the new balance and for those who want to be 100% safe: take the bankbook with you and do an update.

take a photo of any slip you need to keep.

• Like 1

then deposit cash and see what happens
go on. i want you to go and deposit cash into a kbank machine and show me the options in english
don't waste your time because they don't have the options in english. obviously haven't used that option i guess
Sorry...I did waste my time....I'm at a Lotus right now doing a grocery run...stopped by a Kbank CDM at a branch in the Lotus. The CDM initial screen is in Thai and English...after pressing the first button a screen offers you only the English language...press the English button and now its all in English. Will post photos when I get back home.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, todlad said:

take a photo of any slip you need to keep.

In the past I withdrew substantial amounts of money for my expenses in Thailand by ATM with my foreign credit card.

I scanned/stored the slips in case immigration would ask what I am living on (no activity on Thai bank account).

But they never asked.

A bit off-topic.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

a screen offers you only the English language...press the English button and now its all in English.

Even though I can read Thai somewhat I never had to fight through a Thai language menu ever (Bangkok Bank, SCB, K-Bank, Krungsri, AEON and even BAAC).

The methods/sequence of operation differ between the banks which might get you stuck at some point.

The only exception was when I tried to investigate how to pay traffic fines at KTB ATMs.

I gave up, didn't find it in English.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1