Photo-story - Where my bike’s been

StreetCowboy

When you get used to clipping in it becomes effortless, as natural as putting your feet on standard pedals. On my road bike my pedals are always clip side up, I believe they are weighted to hang like that. On my MTB they are double sided shimano XTR and they are instant power, so easy to use.

I remember being told 25 years ago “spd’s produce the single biggest gain you can buy”
I’m glad I took the advice, I wouldn’t cycle any other way [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Ok occasionally I forget to un-clip and end up on the floor laughing but heh, who cares[emoji1745]‍[emoji3601][emoji1745]‍[emoji3601]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you get used to clipping in it becomes effortless, as natural as putting your feet on standard pedals. On my road bike my pedals are always clip side up, I believe they are weighted to hang like that. On my MTB they are double sided shimano XTR and they are instant power, so easy to use.

I remember being told 25 years ago “spd’s produce the single biggest gain you can buy”
I’m glad I took the advice, I wouldn’t cycle any other way [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Ok occasionally I forget to un-clip and end up on the floor laughing but heh, who cares[emoji1745]‍[emoji3601][emoji1745]‍[emoji3601]

You can say it twice, I'm still not convinced.

As we approach traffic lights, one of my clipped mates sometimes stops in front of me, and I find it irritating waiting behind him across the junction as he fannies about with his feet.   I suppose I should bite the bullet and give it a go, bit it would cost me a hundred pounds or so for the shoes and the pedals.

WHat I would like is shoes with a strong horizontal / perpendicular tread that engaged well (without clipping) with the flat cage pedals, to reduce the risk of my foot slipping off.

I'd also like a helmet with a moulded peak, to keep the flood lights out my eyes, and protect my glasses when by face hit the ground.

And a toaster with a 42" screen that functioned as an alarm clock and cofeee maker, while we're about it.

• Like 2

You can say it twice, I'm still not convinced.
As we approach traffic lights, one of my clipped mates sometimes stops in front of me, and I find it irritating waiting behind him across the junction as he fannies about with his feet.   I suppose I should bite the bullet and give it a go, bit it would cost me a hundred pounds or so for the shoes and the pedals.

WHat I would like is shoes with a strong horizontal / perpendicular tread that engaged well (without clipping) with the flat cage pedals, to reduce the risk of my foot slipping off.

I'd also like a helmet with a moulded peak, to keep the flood lights out my eyes, and protect my glasses when by face hit the ground.

And a toaster with a 42" screen that functioned as an alarm clock and cofeee maker, while we're about it.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Yep £100 for shoes and pedals is entry level here. 100% worth every penny [emoji1303]

I can see you’re tempted [emoji848]

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MrTrip said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png
Yep £100 for shoes and pedals is entry level here. 100% worth every penny emoji1303.png

I can see you’re tempted emoji848.png

I was out today, and even the experienced racer was holding me up at the junctions

Kampung Baru football field.jpg

Kampung Baru Development Construction Site.jpg

Sorry - Robles with the captions;

a different view from Kampung Bari looking towards KL City Centre

553B3313-FD01-406F-802D-D6F20906F6AF.thumb.jpeg.cd9196cc93024db80d6cc645d6996657.jpeg

And the new development site on the opposite side of the road.

25273354-8C0E-41FC-AA04-3F1DB6908CE6.thumb.jpeg.c293d115b5aacd8434edee6b39db87ba.jpeg

Later in the day I had to go to the bank, and they’ve painted the bike racks at the shopping centre

D3D454B1-DC16-4A24-B2F4-0977AA6EC395.thumb.jpeg.f8fe2bd3c4b140a919c7d6a954229b90.jpeg

• Like 2

Street Cowboy, 

Shadows were short 'cos around midday but cooler than SE Asia so didn't see any mad dogs but there were a few Englishmen around.  I was more or less one of them- whilst I was born in the UK I have lived most of my life in Oz.

Depending on how you do the ride there are 800M of hills in 40Km so, despite the cooler weather I usually come close to blowing a gasket.

• Like 2

Rick,

Nice outfit.   I'm back in Thailand in a week so will be riding in the country during early morning when the canines are most active.   I was carrying a folded over length of stiff fencing wire to ward off the more ferocious ones.    However after fending off one large black brute the bloody wire slipped and became enmeshed in my front spokes which required extreme effort on my part to keep going and escape the bugger.   I'm now upgrading to a whip aerial plus some chilli based dog spray.

I thought about poisoned gaiters but perhaps a bit unfashionable or Wellington Boots but figured they could be too hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chilon said:

Rick,

Nice outfit.   I'm back in Thailand in a week so will be riding in the country during early morning when the canines are most active.   I was carrying a folded over length of stiff fencing wire to ward off the more ferocious ones.    However after fending off one large black brute the bloody wire slipped and became enmeshed in my front spokes which required extreme effort on my part to keep going and escape the bugger.   I'm now upgrading to a whip aerial plus some chilli based dog spray.

I thought about poisoned gaiters but perhaps a bit unfashionable or Wellington Boots but figured they could be too hot.

The dogs in Malaysia seem much more placid than what I read about here.

One dog on Sunday took up the chase

”Come on, Boy! Let’s go find traffic to play in!” But he quickly gave up the lark and went back to sunning his balls

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, damascase said:

Just in case you would be looking for a venue to improve your personal speed record: the 1.6km runway of the old Chiang Rai airport - closed in the early nineties - is still there!

6FF1F2BD-BAAD-46A7-AD2F-7EBC6DF8902B.jpeg

Before my hip operation at the start of this year I’d have struggled to walk that far away from my bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hip operation [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
This year [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
And still riding like you do[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
Chapeau indeed [emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]

• Like 2