Photo-story - Where my bike’s been

StreetCowboy

I was cycling home from the pub (strictly speaking, cycling between pubs on the way home) and there was another cyclist stopped at the lights.

I thought “she’s not from round here” from how she was stopped obstructing the traffic leftyurning through the red light.  Anyway, the lights changed, and I was off, pedalling like Billy-O to get to the kerb in front of her - I knew she would be guddling about getting into her clips and on to her tri-bars.

”’Evening!” I called out to her waiting friends, before the rolling black fog made me drop my cadence and two gears.  Anyway, the chaps passed me shortly after, As did she a few minutes later, wobbling something dreadful.  

At first I thought she was pissed, then I remembered it was me that had been drinking, and concluded it must be the tri-bars.  I would hate to be so far away from my brakes on the public road.

Anyway, I chased as best I could; it’s easy to go quickly when you’re chasing someone - how often have I thought “I can take him” when I look ahead seeing some Bangladeshi riding along with his lawnmower over his shoulder.

She had the better of me up the hill but she flinched at the speed bump and I pulled out to the next lane to pass the SUV as it passed her.  Up from the middle chain wheel for the next junction, a quick read of the lights, back into the outside lane, into top gear for the junction, straight into the outside lane, little legs spinning like billy-o, I thought about crouching down over the handlebars, but that would look ridiculous with the shopping flapping about in the basket in front, and flew into the traffic turning right, making allowances for the bloke at the front immediately turning left.

”euh gnhh haaa...” I gasped, as I dismounted outside the pub

”Certainly; Strongbow” said the waiter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I walked down to the pub today, and they’re showing the Giro on TV.  Chris Froome is knocking lumps out of the opposition - if it was a boxing match the referee would’ve stopped it

• Like 2

The Matrade Centre, Duta government offices.

There was a small herd of cattle grazing beside the toll gates near our offices, but I was in a hurry to get back for lunch so didn’t stop for a photo

E45FEA1B-2642-47EC-AAC4-D333C32680F0.jpeg

On 5/3/2018 at 8:59 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Lovely looking bikes; I was admiring some Schwann bikes in my local bike shop; “But who buys them? I never see them out on the street.”

”Collectors”; buying a bike and not riding it seems like buying Guinness to leave on the mantelpiece.

is that a combo nation gear hub / back-pedal brake on the back?

edit: OK, old port, not Guinness; Guinness would be like collecting my bike, (in that you would pick it up at the local pub)

forgot to answer your question.   originally this was a one speed bike which by pushing back on the pedal was the brake.   In the photo gears have been added along with a drum brake (middle of wheel) operated with hand shifters.   Recently I went back to just one gear (notice derailler has been removed) but still use the drum brakes.  Now ridden only on Sundays to go to the local pub  ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

forgot to answer your question.   originally this was a one speed bike which by pushing back on the pedal was the brake.   In the photo gears have been added along with a drum brake (middle of wheel) operated with hand shifters.   Recently I went back to just one gear (notice derailler has been removed) but still use the drum brakes.  Now ridden only on Sundays to go to the local pub  ?

Almost all my rides are to the local pub - not necessarily by the shortest route.  Some are to a more distant pub but even those often end up at the local pub on the way home.  On Sunday we took the 3 km ride to the pub, and put in 100 km of detour.  That's enough to build up a thirst.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Almost all my rides are to the local pub - not necessarily by the shortest route.  Some are to a more distant pub but even those often end up at the local pub on the way home.  On Sunday we took the 3 km ride to the pub, and put in 100 km of detour.  That's enough to build up a thirst.

I think i read that your shoulder was hurting....  hope its on the mend.  take it easy my friend !

I miss my long bike rides,  used to sing an arlo guthrie song (changed it a bit).  

I don't want a pickle......just wanna ride on my bi....cycle.

keep riding !

2 hours ago, rumak said:

I think i read that your shoulder was hurting....  hope its on the mend.  take it easy my friend !

I miss my long bike rides,  used to sing an arlo guthrie song (changed it a bit).  

I don't want a pickle......just wanna ride on my bi....cycle.

keep riding !

The shoulder is on the mend; it's actually a nerve injury, possibly related to an ancient mishap.

I cycle out to physio on a Saturday morning

• Like 2

Yeah I put on a bunch of weight before that ride which I have since lost.  A friend and I just returned last month from a cycling tour of eastern Thailand, Southern Cambodia and the Vietnamese Delta.  We had a great trip.

The panniers are vintage Cannondale.  I love em because they have 3 separate pockets and 1 large one.  Makes finding stuff much easier.

BTW my bike is a Surly LHT.

Edited by fdimike
added more info

40 minutes ago, fdimike said:

Yeah I put on a bunch of weight before that ride which I have since lost.  A friend and I just returned last month from a cycling tour of eastern Thailand, Southern Cambodia and the Vietnamese Delta.  We had a great trip.

The panniers are vintage Cannondale.  I love em because they have 3 separate pockets and 1 large one.  Makes finding stuff much easier.

Mine are just single compartment.  When you get to your destination you can just tip them into the ice bath.  56 cans was comfortably within the bike’s capacity, but not mine - either pedalling or drinking

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, fdimike said:

What's the LHT like for weight?  I suppose with a case of beer on the back the gears are more important than the weight of the bike.

I keep on meaning to go into the local dealer to have a look - they are in a cafe in an alley off a back street down near Indian Country; I should stop off on my next samosa run.  The pub we used to stop at nearby has closed, but a cafe could be the next best thing.  The pub was next to a fancy motorbike shop. 

Talking of which, this tractor pulled up outside the pub while I was rehydrating yesterday afternoon

1001363492_RoyalEnfield2.thumb.JPG.eb62ccf6b7cbbfc7ecc77b8d81cf8b2a.JPG

1110366409_RoyalEnfield1.thumb.JPG.0009392b0d6832d70a8687e1dde5a7c3.JPG1110366409_RoyalEnfield1.thumb.JPG.0009392b0d6832d70a8687e1dde5a7c3.JPG1001363492_RoyalEnfield2.thumb.JPG.eb62ccf6b7cbbfc7ecc77b8d81cf8b2a.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped for cider in the Selangor Club

B0DBE839-0ED3-4F0D-98B3-9D91264E9E8C.thumb.jpeg.134c72af853ee8ac3b0f48454cebf236.jpegon the way home from Out Of Africa. We were almost home by mid-afternoon, and subsequently still almost home before it almost began to get dark.  We persuaded the new boy that he should be getting home, as I didn’t have any spare lights.  Anyway, it seems our directions were not clear enough, and our route advice not put strongly enough, and he ended up detouring 10 km along an unexpected highway on the way home in the fading light.  So I’m taking him out tomorrow morning to make sure he knows the way home for next time...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The view from Rawang Bypass. 

1701440966_RawangBypass180624_2.jpg.349d918d0f270f16883e84ace3dc06ba.jpg

There's a better view from the next "Stopping Forbidden" sign, but I didn't want to stop again.

Rawang bypass is so high up I thought we'd need oxygen, but it was nothing compared to the hill on the way back past Ulu Yam.  I'll not be doing that again in a hurry.  We could scarcely claim to have been hurrying on Sunday, either, stopping for a bit of a wheeze and a gasp.

"If you collapse, I'm not giving you mouth to mouth resuscitation" my mate said.

"If we're within sight of the top, I'll make it, and if we're not, I don't want resuscitated."

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

The new boy joined us for the Saturday morning breakfast ride.  This is his old bike, but it still sets a good pace.

1450991280_TWMsOldBike.thumb.jpg.a04a173ef5fc88448a14a17349b9ce18.jpgHe's not in trouble with the law - the police had stopped for breakfast as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We went off into the mountains (bigger hills) yesterday, and this morning I was suffering from altitude sickness from overdoing the rehydration.

On the way towards the hills, looking out towards Batu Caves from a safe distance, away from the monkeys

Batu Caves, from a safe distance

The great thing about riding slightly later in the day is that all the hooligan cyclists have pissed off

IMG_1367.thumb.JPG.08279d629cc42960fd34a084f578eec5.JPG

The onset of altitude sickness

IMG_1372.thumb.JPG.b353370a8fc45b7d6134d5b7aa46a1cf.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/2/2018 at 12:55 AM, Familyonthemove said:

A short ferry trip from central Bangkok

IMG_20180701_185314_778.jpg.964ecd72e0a1ddeecd78285705bfd7c3.jpg

That looks lovely and quiet, but it must be a bit of a challenge if you meet the peleton coming the other way

• Like 1

At the office

1010217917_Bikeattheofficecropped.jpg.589773910c97224cd7b572355acb79e9.jpg

I thought I had posted this before

It's an allocated parking space but I got some grief from the car park management.

I'm trying to do my bit to reduce traffic by cycling into the office twice a month.

• Haha 1

I stopped in my local on the way home "Are you showing the cycling?"

Apparently there were some other deadwoods watching other dross in the pub already, so it was Chez Le Tour at Home chez Cowboy...

Le Tour chez Cowboy

It still hasn't finished yet, so that's cost them a fair whack so far...

• Like 2