Former DLT man sold fake driving licenses for 3,000 baht each

rooster59

Former DLT man sold fake driving licenses for 3,000 baht each

dl1.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

A former employee of the Department of Land Transport has been arrested for selling fake driving licenses and foreigner ID registration cards.

He was selling the licences for 3,000 baht and the ID's for 5,000 baht.

The copies were very good ones as Pen-Ek Laowanich, 43, was using equipment he obtained from his previous job. 

Thaivisa notes that Thai driving licenses can be used in place of things like passports for many items of official business requiring identification. 

Pen-Ek was arrested at Ekachai Dry Cleaning on Sri Saman Road in Pak Kret. He was in possession of 60 fake licenses, 12 IDs and 150 blank cards. 

A further search at a property in Bang Yai turned up more evidence. 

He admitted he had been making fake cards since 2016. 

He was shown to reporters at the HQ of the Inquiry Division in Sri Ayuthaya Road, Bangkok, on Friday.

dl2.JPG

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-28

2 hours ago, aidenai said:

picture of ID card deleted

aidenai - No one doubts that you meant well, but no one should ever post a copy of their identity documents online unless you literally blank out every bit of typed information and all of the barcodes. For your safety, please consider editing your post to remove the image, or ask a forum moderator to take down. 

It would be a trivial exercise to determine your full name, home address, house registration number, etc. from knowing just the card type, district, and birthdate. A Thai cop or bureaucrat will gladly take a few thousand baht to provide full details on a foreigner. 

This caution about posting Thai ID cards is especially true for foreigners holding type 6 cards. There are only a quarter million of them in circulation, FYI. The internet is a weird and dangerous place, and you can make enemies without meaning to. No sense making their lives easier. 

• Like 2

The bureaucracy literally invites crooks - something the clowns did not understand. 

Regarding driving licenses ; after 2 x 5 years extension they might want to re-introduce the lifetime license (something you have all over Europe since WW2); for Thai and non-Thai citizen alike! 

Non-Thai non-immigrants (here called Alien from outer space) can obtain, the Lord only knows how, a yellow house registration book which is different to the blue house book - qualifying for a pink ID. 

Non-Thais migrants (called same) are automatically registered in the blue house registration book (like all Thai citizen). The pink ID is not available to them and have instead a brown worn police book, a white certificate of residence which I need to carry around whenever I leave/enter the country. Doing that on a more remote border post (in my case Pudu/Uttaradit to Laos) brought everything to a halt as none of those nine officers on duty had a clue, what funny papers I would be showing up with. I was unable to leave Thailand and had to detour to Thali/Loei, where it took them 75 minutes and phone calls to, again only the Lord knows who, until I was allowed to leave. 

Stop hiring and employing people for feeding them; rather educate them properly and streamline your bureaucracy which, in turn, will make it more difficult if not interesting at all to fake around with all that paperwork the administration is so happy to deal with! Signing photocopies - what an idiocy! 

15 hours ago, 965purity said:

aidenai - No one doubts that you meant well, but no one should ever post a copy of their identity documents online unless you literally blank out every bit of typed information and all of the barcodes. For your safety, please consider editing your post to remove the image, or ask a forum moderator to take down

Thank you, 965purity. It's not mine. I found this picture searching on Google. 

18 hours ago, steve187 said:

Jomtein give out copies of peoples passports on the back of information sheets

Yep.... Completely agree.... went to do our household registration and 90 day reporting and have many times been given forms that were re-used paper with people's full passport photocopies on the back.... last time it was a full details page of an American at Phuket immigration office. photo, passport number etc etc.... :1zgarz5:

The immigration dept., should be commended for re-using the mountains of paper work produced when all the 90 day reporters turn up to see their probation officer.

Otherwise LoS would need a warehouse the size of Cambodia to house the pile of useless paper generated.

What earthly purpose does it all fulfill ? Is it just me but I never see blue carbon paper in any other country I go to ? in fact I doubt you can buy it elsewhere.

19 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Regarding driving licenses ; after 2 x 5 years extension they might want to re-introduce the lifetime license (something you have all over Europe since WW2); for Thai and non-Thai citizen alike! 

Driving licenses in Europe are valid for 15 years, not lifetime. Only the very old ones (probably applies to many people here :p) are lifetime licenses, but these "lifetime" licenses are only valid until 2033 (or less, depending on some circumstances).

Of course Thailand could increase the lifespan to something longer than 5 years.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

3,000 - 5,000 is the going rate at rural/provincial DLTs for official licenses, assuming you know who to talk to.

Probably the people who bought them thought that they are real.

Edited by jackdd

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Driving licenses in Europe are valid for 15 years, not lifetime. Only the very old ones (probably applies to many people here :p) are lifetime licenses, but these "lifetime" licenses are only valid until 2033 (or less, depending on some circumstances).

Of course Thailand could increase the lifespan to something longer than 5 years.

Probably the people who bought them thought that they are real.

Swiss licenses are valid initially for two years, passing that you get a lifelong license until you reach 70. Then a medical attest is required to maintain the validity - works fine and driving lessons are real lessons (changing spare wheels, battery level adjustment with distilled water and basic check of engine oil level). In my case I had to even put snow chains on and off again. My instructor was clear when I got my license by saying that I hold a license but could not really drive a car yet. Latter would be a matter of experience and character - how right he is! 

3 hours ago, KhunVee said:

Like this. Nothing new really.

As somebody wrote before already, don't post partially covered ID documents online. Everybody can easily find you with the information that you revealed.