Questions About Qualifications

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure somewhere in the 52 pages of replies this question has already been answered. My apologies if thi is the case.

So my lazy hypothetical question is this. For example. I have some college but no degree. I have only the tefl cert. I have a retirement visa. I live in Chiang Mai with my Thai wife of 15 years. Im 57 years old. Looking to work more as a hobby than need of the income. Any chance of landing a teaching job? Or, should I forego the Tefl course and look for something else to do?

Generally, it's illegal to work on retirement visa. I wouldn't exercise care in violating that rule, but there are people who do it without any problem. This would apply to most other work that you might be interested in doing.

Some university is pretty much the same as no university if you don't have a degree. A TEFL might be worthwhile, but your options may still be limited in the Pattaya area. There are a lot of expats in the Pattaya area, so a good position would be more difficult to find.

This is an on-going thread. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to wade through all 50+ pages of posts, but a review of the last few pages doesn't hurt!

• 2 weeks later...

Another very helpful thread on ThaiVisa.

Here's my scenario.

• I've been working in IT (infrastructure as well as systems design and software development) for 18 years.
  • I have lived in Thailand in two phases for 10+ years. Speak nearly fluent Thai (very basic reading/writing - although I'd like to sit the Por 6 exam one day).
  • I have a master's degree in science from Royal Holloway, London University (MSc Information Security)
  • I have a diploma in biology from a Canadian community college (with a high scoring diploma - and enough professional experience - UK universities will allow you to enroll in post-graduate education - which is what I did).
  • I am about to marry my Thai partner - who is a professional with a good income.
  • I'm 48
  • I'm considering the CELTA program at International House

And so the upshot of the above - is that I'm considering a switch into teaching for the remainder of my working life here in Thailand.

My questions are.

1. General prospects? Opportunities? How do I fare?
  2. How much does age matter? 48 now - a 10 -15 year teaching career takes me into my 60s
  3. How best to get a sense of the 'lay of the land' here for teaching. A list of schools? Places to start?
  4. If I'm serious about it - and don't mind a slow ramp-up, is there anything wrong with starting at a language academy (like ECC, Siam Computer) etc - to get some TESL experience first? Or should I head straight for the private schools, unviersities etc?
  5. ABAC offer an M.Ed - which is taught in evenings for two years. At my age - and assuming I could keep up with the workload in addition to teaching (working) - would an M.Ed from ABAC help?
  6. Is there any chance that having a diploma as opposed to a BSc before completing my MSc will confuse employers or the MoE here in Thailand? Or is my MSc degree and transcript (with distinction) likely suffice?

Any other tips or pointers greatly appreciated.

Edited by waters

1. General prospects? Opportunities? How do I fare?

English Programs teaching IT, science and mathematics. Salary ranges between 33,000 and 45,000 THB.

1. How much does age matter? 48 now - a 10 -15 year teaching career takes me into my 60s

There are no official age rules for foreign teachers. However, Thai teachers retire at the age of 60.

1. ABAC offer an M.Ed - which is taught in evenings for two years. At my age - and assuming I could keep up with the workload in addition to teaching (working) - would an M.Ed from ABAC help?

It qualifies you for the teacher license from The Teachers' Council of Thailand. This license is required when teaching in basic education schools in Thailand. i.e. K-12.

1. Or is my MSc degree and transcript (with distinction) likely suffice?

Great qualification. Not B.Sc. needed.

Edited by Scott
formatting

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, merlin! Thanks for asking. With a master's degree, you'll have a lot of the medium-range options open to you- especially university work, where you may even find a position teaching sociology (though TEFL or English is more likely). For university work, the Master's is more important than the TEFL. Unfortunately, the baseline salary for most universities is rather low, in the high 20s per month- on the other hand, class load is small and there are very long paid vacations, plus extra work is readily available for much better pay. If you have other sources of income, this can be an excellent way to get beer money plus a visa.

Having the master's degree will also overcome your not having TEFL in many elementary/high schools, though not all- most of the "upper crust" ones will want to see some experience in teaching, plus a TEFL if that's your subject. You shouldn't rule out teaching social studies (in English) in one of the more advanced EP programs, of which there are not too many- but the pay for the ones which exist is very generous compared to your average Thai school program (even into the 50s and 60s range).

If you do have a lot of teaching experience, you could theoretically apply even for the international schools here, though sometimes if you're applying locally it doesn't matter HOW good your qualifications are (they're kinda prejudiced against us locals) they still won't take you.

Naturally, the schools which will take ANYone will still be available, at the industry standard rate of 25-30K, usually without paid vacations or legitimate paperwork.

"Steven"

What sort of schools will take anyone? I have three years experience, I'm willing to work for 15000 per month, I have no degree but TEFL and good ref. I know, maybe my age 66. I live in central Thailand and to my knowledge no other Farang teachers but plenty Philipinos.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me in advance for asking something I'm sure has been posed repeatedly. How are your college degree credentials checked or are you supposed to bring your own transcripts and degrees? Does the agency or school you're applying to do personal checks on your education and experience? I'm just curious what the procedure is there.

Thanks,

Trevor

The school is responsible to verify the degree. Most schools will want, and in my experience, the Ministry of Education, want to see the transcript. The transcript is more important than the actual piece of paper with the degree on it. I long ago lost my degree, but got a Teacher's License and Work Permit with the transcript only--that was many years ago.

The school should write to the University and get a response about your degree. In the US, there is a clearinghouse that can verify the degree and this is very quick. I've had the verification back within the same day and once it took 3 days for some who had graduated in the late 60's (and wasn't on line).

Hi folks,

Thought i'd fire a few questions at you to see whether it's worth me investing in a TEFL course and looking for work.

My wife and i are moving back from the uk in 3 months time. I'll be on a NON IM O visa andwe'll be moving to Wichinburi in Petchabun, I'm 42 years old and a medically retired firefighter on a pension, I lived in Thailand for 6 years after being discharged from the fire service and in that time taught scuba diving and managed a restaurant down south. Living in Petchabun there won't be any other type of employment apart from teaching. Here's the stumbling block, i havn't got a degree!!

My wifes father is the poo yai baan and reckon's he's pals with the Directors running the schools and it isn't a problem, I think it will be a problem. Will they be demanding a degree and is it worth me even contemplating trying to become a English teacher, will they have the same strict rules up there.

Thanks in advance for everyones advice.

Burnsie

Hi folks,

Thought i'd fire a few questions at you to see whether it's worth me investing in a TEFL course and looking for work.

My wife and i are moving back from the uk in 3 months time. I'll be on a NON IM O visa andwe'll be moving to Wichinburi in Petchabun, I'm 42 years old and a medically retired firefighter on a pension, I lived in Thailand for 6 years after being discharged from the fire service and in that time taught scuba diving and managed a restaurant down south. Living in Petchabun there won't be any other type of employment apart from teaching. Here's the stumbling block, i havn't got a degree!!

My wifes father is the poo yai baan and reckon's he's pals with the Directors running the schools and it isn't a problem, I think it will be a problem. Will they be demanding a degree and is it worth me even contemplating trying to become a English teacher, will they have the same strict rules up there.

Burnsie

It isn't the school you should be worried about, it is the TCT who who probably won't issue you with a teacher's licence which will make it very difficult to get a work permit.

Having said that I know quite a few teachers who have been teaching here legally for years without having a degree and as you are out in the sticks you may find it easier than in BKK or another large town. Good luck mate.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hi folks,

Burnsie

It isn't the school you should be worried about, it is the TCT who who probably won't issue you with a teacher's licence which will make it very difficult to get a work permit.

Having said that I know quite a few teachers who have been teaching here legally for years without having a degree and as you are out in the sticks you may find it easier than in BKK or another large town. Good luck mate.

Hi folks,

Burnsie

Thanks for the quick reply, that's what i was worried about, gutted!!! Bit of a gamble just to get a knock back..

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone size up my potential teaching in Thailand.

Please feel free to PM me so as to not clutter the thread with my personal issues, this just seemed the place to post such questions. Thx.

Education:

BA in History with a minor in Public Speaking and loads of Humanities courses

Graduated from a school listed in US News World Report Top 100

School is considered to be strong in Politics, Government Service, Law

Matriculated and graduated at stated school, but also attended two others in the process

Have transcripts for all schools. Copy of diploma.

Addl coursework added one year so five years education on four year degree

Maintained approximately 3.0 GPA despite working and extracurricular activites

Involved in Public Speaking and Student Government, Awards.

Hons noted on first transcript.

I have a solid education, well read and well travelled.

Teaching:

Currently expired, held California Emergency Teaching Credential for about five years

CBEST, taken, completed and passed with high marks.

Live Scanned about ten years ao in CA.

Cambodia (circa 1994) Taught for a few months, liked it enough but I had money and there were adventures everywhere. Six dollars an hour could not keep me interested with Cambodia, Vietnam, Lao and Burma newly opened.

Korea (circa 1997), two stints: nine months and three months. Korea was honestly not kind to me.

Taught all grade levels as well as houswives classes. ECC.

Taught TOEIC and really did well at it.

Created my own teaching materials for TOEIC classes

Organized a huge schoolwide speech competition.

Techincal

Applications and Software Trainer - 2 years. Created own documentation and presentations, support at trade shows (public speaking)

Applications Support - 2 years. Aspect of job required training employees on new modules of billing system.

My young self was heading to graduate school in law or the social sciences. I was not able to come up with the money. The IT indusry was booming and I had skills that I used to merge myself so to speak into this new industry.

I made money, travelled, saved, travelled. At 42 I cut it loose as so many IT jobs had gone overseas. It was no longer with persuing unless I wanted to remain in the US, dig in and be a zombie.

I have held a few short time posiions since then but mostly enjoying my freedom to travel.

Having just been married, my life changes. I cannot afford to support my wife for another ten years nor do I think she has any business not working at 36 anyway. Rather than sit about in BKK, it might be a god idea that I return to work - why not.

I believe I have marketable skills in the teaching field. I would enjoy teaching especially TOEIC and the Social Sciences, but of course English as well.

2013 will mark my first visit to Asia. I am 51 years old but perhaps look 45 - depite being bald. I am 6' and of proper weight meaning - no gut.

Thanks for any evaluation and direction.

Edited by bangkokburning

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am a newbie so just introducing myself and would appreciate some advice.

I have just taken early retirement from teaching at 55. I have a degree, 2:1 in English, a PGCE and a Post Graduate Diploma in e-learning. I have been a KS2 teacher for my career.

I am seriously thinking of coming to Thailand to retire. I was just wanting to ask you what are the chances (if any) of me getting a job teaching in Thailand, either full or part time. I obviously have my monthly pension so I would not be looking for a fortune; more really to keep me busy and keep my hand in so to speak.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have a Master's in Clinical Psych, with no teaching experience. I'm wondering what my employment prospects might be, if any, and what kind of income might be possible...either teaching in a psych program at university level, or teaching English. I'm open to whatever training I might need to get in order to teach English if psych isn't in demand. I'm looking at living in BKK or Phuket.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Thank you for all of the wonderful information.

I'll be moving to Thailand next year on a retirement Visa. I don't need to teach for the money, but I'd enjoy it. I plan to move to Udon, so far.

I don't have a college degree but am native US and always excelled at English.

My simple question is: Where would these "rural" places be which might admit a teacher without a degree? Or is that all over now due to the certification board?

Thank you for all of the wonderful information.

I'll be moving to Thailand next year on a retirement Visa. I don't need to teach for the money, but I'd enjoy it. I plan to move to Udon, so far.

I don't have a college degree but am native US and always excelled at English.

My simple question is: Where would these "rural" places be which might admit a teacher without a degree? Or is that all over now due to the certification board?

OK, I found another very active thread

http://www.thaivisa....qualifications/

which has been going for some time which has all of the information I need. It is possible but it sounds disorganized to the point of being just another lesson in "the culture." I don't need to work. I just love helping, and being retired... But there's no work permit and I'll take no risk on paying the penalty. Also the red tape is mind boggling, if ever cut through.

I think I'll just have a cold one, thank you. Dang, I'd like to help those kids but it can't even be done for free legally... wub.png

Edited by NeverSure

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have a BA (from a reputable Canadian university) and 100 hour TESL certification. I just arrived Chiang Mai this week and is hoping to find a job within the month before my 30 day visa expires. I am open to go anywhere in Thailand, but would prefer to stay away from Bangkok. Can anyone recommend a good location/school? Since I do not have the 20 hour practicum certification, would it jeopardize my chance of getting a teaching position? I do not have previous experience teaching English, but do have few years experience teaching children music and art (group and one-on-one).

Anything helps. Thanks!

Edited by nancer

• 3 weeks later...

I did the TEFL course. The course is very good but extremely intensive, if you have not done any type of customer support role you will find it difficult. But you will make it through. They will take care of that.

Nowadays however its very diificult to get a job without a degree if you do it won't be the best school, and TEFL are not so helpful once the course is over. start applying and get your CV out to the agencies well before the end of the course, the schools don't really care about the TEFL Qual they want to see your degree transcript. and a non technical degree EG a Degree in Education is the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have an Engineering degree from a big name Australian university. From savings, I would have 60k baht per month, but would like another 30k baht per month on top to round it out to about 100k bht per month for a good lifestyle - and thinking teaching would be a good way to get this. Also not quite old enough for retirement visa. Have no teaching experience but have worked for many years as an engineer, delivered technical presentations, etc so not shy of getting in front of an audience. Getting a bit burnt out as an engineer and thinking of making the move to LOS now rather than waiting until I am 50. Can you tell me:

• My engineering degree - would be acceptable I assume? Does anyone care which discipline it is in eg mechanical, electronic?
  • Should I start off in BKK or easier to get a job in a major regional centre (eg Ubon etc)
  • Which are the less stressful jobs with less students eg government or private school, and is there more stress with younger or older students - asking as I dont want another high pressure job given my burn out, still want to do a good job, just want to minimise stress levels
  • Do I have to do a TEFL or anything else, or degree is enough?

Thanks

You should be able to earn 30,000 and the standard starting wage for a lot of schools is 35,000. In the provincial areas, the salaries are sometimes lower, but so are the living expenses. I would start out in the area that you want to be living. Why look for a job in Pattaya if your dream destination is Chiang Mai? Also, when are planning on making the move?

A TEFL will help you, but isn't necessary. With an engineering background you would well suited to teach math or science rather than standard conversational English.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

You should be able to earn 30,000 and the standard starting wage for a lot of schools is 35,000. In the provincial areas, the salaries are sometimes lower, but so are the living expenses. I would start out in the area that you want to be living. Why look for a job in Pattaya if your dream destination is Chiang Mai? Also, when are planning on making the move?

A TEFL will help you, but isn't necessary. With an engineering background you would well suited to teach math or science rather than standard conversational English.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Scott. When I make the move is now largely dependent on when I reach the end of my tether with my current engineering job. Maths/science sounds good.