Questions About Qualifications

The better EP/MP programs would be any public school programme offering 40K+/month plus full legal paperwork. The awful religious private schools include any private schools with words like "Christian," "Assumption," "St. [Anybody]," etc. in their names. You can look in the "Schools Not Recommended" thread for the most (un)popular of them.

"S"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaveyG, to repeat or rephrase what Ijustwannateach just said, you need a bachelor's degree to teach successfully in Thailand. I'm using successfully in the previous sentence to mean a salary of well over 30K every month, a real work permit, no visa runs after three months, a teacher's license where needed, annual extensions of your B visa, etc. Please, stay home and do whatever else you can do; don't come to Thailand now. Maybe you can come to live here in the year 2555, if man is still alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the useful information guys. I was wondering if you had any sources for jobs besides the newspaper and www.ajarn.com. I find that I'm not seeing a lot of the type of job I'm looking for in any of these sources.

When do they do most of the hiring for serious teaching jobs around here? the EP jobs?

Is it just a waiting game? I am 27, with a bachelor's degree and a TEFL, but I'm tired of my language school job, I would prefer to work with kids, at a nice school for over 40k a month.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks for all of the useful information guys. I was wondering if you had any sources for jobs besides the newspaper and www.ajarn.com. I find that I'm not seeing a lot of the type of job I'm looking for in any of these sources.

When do they do most of the hiring for serious teaching jobs around here? the EP jobs?

Is it just a waiting game? I am 27, with a bachelor's degree and a TEFL, but I'm tired of my language school job, I would prefer to work with kids, at a nice school for over 40k a month.

" Serious " teaching jobs will require a minimum BEd, preferably a Masters. The serious schools ( aka International ) recruit mostly from overseas.

What degree do you hold? Around 40k for a BA and TEFL sounds about average to be honest.

" Serious " teaching jobs will require a minimum BEd, preferably a Masters. The serious schools ( aka International ) recruit mostly from overseas.

What degree do you hold? Around 40k for a BA and TEFL sounds about average to be honest.

Hey Steve,

My degree is BA in Political Science. I have 3 years experience. I am looking for a just a bit more money and more of an active job. I was working in Taiwan before I came over here, and although I had to work quite hard for the money, I didn't mind it because I really enjoyed teaching. Over here I'm doing next to nothing for what I would consider an average salary.

Would like to find a school that needs a competent teacher and is willing to pay me just a bit more. I don't really want to go back and get my teaching certificate, but if that's what it takes that's what I'll do.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All.

I'm currently in Thailand, having been here for over three months, up till a week ago as an English Teaching Volunteer at an Orphanage/School near Ayutthaya. I'm here till the end of October and before I go back to visit Mum back in the UK, hope to have work and accommodation sorted so that I don't have to hang around my old home town of Skegness for too long.

Anyway, qualifications wise, what I have includes the PCET (Post Compulsory Certificate in Education - from Huddersfield University); TEFL;

quite a few computer qualifications (as it was computer skills for adults I was teaching for 5 years in the UK), including CLAIT, IBT 2, City and Guilds advanced e-quals and the ECDL qualification.

So, to cut to the chase, what does anybody out there recommend as a good line of attack/approach/enquiry for me to look into teaching work out here? ie, where the best jobs are, possible contacts etc. I was actually intending to teach only English out here, hence the TEFL course I took here last September - and the recent volunteer project I took part in - but does anyone have any idea of the demand for IT Tutors, as this is where my teaching experience has obviously come from, for the most part.

Any advice would be a great help...

Thanks,

leebeeUK

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt PCET another name for PGCE ?

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone Out There,

I have a few questions about teaching overseas in Thailand - let me begin with some of my background.

- BS Degree from a 4 Year Univ USA

- 4 Years of teaching at colleges and Univ(s) in the USA

- 4 Years teaching and working at High School level in the USA

- Full Thai America

- Duo-Citizenship in USA and Thailand 'With Thai Passport and Thai ID Card"

- Over 10 Years experience in the Design,Marketing and Journalism field.

I am looking to start a new chapter in my life and move to Thailand where all my family is along with my girlfriend who is studying teacher in Bangkok กรุงเทพ.

My questions is what would you recommend for a thai-farang to begin looking for a teaching position? With my background should I aim for International Univ? Should I apply in person by simply making an appointment and walking in? What would you say the ideal average salary be?

Thank You

- Scott

I would like some input from you guys.

I understand this is hard to answer, but I just want a better picture of my chances to become an english teacher in Thailand.

I am young, just 22 years old.

I am not a native english speaker. I do however speak just as fluent as most nativespeakers. I have had alot of friends from the states and Canada which have given me a more of an american accent.

Sometimes it can take several minutes into a conversation with a native english speaker until they ask me: "Wait a minute, where are you from?" Always makes me smile! :o

That said, I am not really worried about my english skills, rather how much weight they will put into the fact that it is not my motherlanguage.

I dont got a TEFL degree yet, but will take a course asap.

I am willing to work pretty much anywhere in Thailand. As goes for sallery I would be fine with 22-23k/month. I've lived in Thailand for about a year now and know some basic thai.

I am really dedicated to go thru with this and give it my best.

So, what do you think my chances are to become a english teacher in Thailand?

Proof read the above and see if you think you could honestly English as a second language :D

Quote: Jandajoy -

'Proof read the above and see if you think you could honestly English as a second language.'

Let the one amongst you who is without sin cast the first stone! :o

Well spotted and I submit to your fearless eye.

Splendid quote and I feel suitably abashed.

BUT

I rest my case.

My biggest problem is with people who think that they have a mastery of the language and that therefore they can teach it.

Teaching is an art in itself and requires a hel_l of a lot more than a knowledge of the subject. IMHO.

Maybe Rayong? You may wish to post in one or two of the regional forums for more region-specific information.

I might be wrong but the school in Rayong, opposite Tesco Lotus has been closed for a while. You might want to check things out there.

There is a school in Banchang (30 minutes south) called "Home English" about which I know nothing.

Good luck

General rule in Teaching Forum: no bashing of English skills. However, JanadaJoy had a point that a poster who claims to 'speak fluent' and so forth, should proofread his post, because the post is riddled with errors that disproved his claim to being fluent.

aussiestyle, dyslexics, and old men with carpool tunnelkl sins are excused from sopellingk errors.

General rule in Teaching Forum: no bashing of English skills. However, JanadaJoy had a point that a poster who claims to 'speak fluent' and so forth, should proofread his post, because the post is riddled with errors that disproved his claim to being fluent.

aussiestyle, dyslexics, and old men with carpool tunnelkl sins are excused from sopellingk errors.

PB, I agree with you and Jandajoy's post. My post was meant as a joke, not an attack, and fortuneately Janadajoy took it as I intended.

My sopellingk is terrible and I'm well aware of it. I would never seriously critisize another poster's English.

:o

Hi, I wonder if you can help me? I am getting married to my Thai girlfriend in November. She is a teacher teaching primary students for a government school near Nakhon Ratchasima.

I am currently teaching English in a private language school in Singapore. I am a Uk citizen 47 years old and have no degree. My question is, could we start a small private school teaching English language to children and adults? If so how difficult is it?

Hi, I wonder if you can help me? I am getting married to my Thai girlfriend in November. She is a teacher teaching primary students for a government school near Nakhon Ratchasima.

I am currently teaching English in a private language school in Singapore. I am a Uk citizen 47 years old and have no degree. My question is, could we start a small private school teaching English language to children and adults? If so how difficult is it?

General understanding is that the director of the school needs at least a masters degree in education and be a Thai. Then there are countless bureaucratic requirements by Education, Labour, etc., that can take a year. Your lack of a degree might be a big problem in BKK but not in the countryside. You would need a teaching license, and the qualifications for that are quite murky at present.

Thanks for advice, I thought it would be quite a minefield to overcome. So my best bet is to get a teaching job at a private school, while my girlfriend studies for her masters degree. As long as I have a job and am married to a Thai I should have no problems staying in Thailand?

Several points relate to you staying in Thailand. This whole country is a minefield, somewhat like Cambodia. You stand as much chance of teching legally with your AA and experience, in a remote province, even in a govt. school, than most of us stood with our BA/BS degrees five years ago. The good thing about there being no hard and fast rules in Thailand is that you sometimes get awy with a whole lot more than you would have back in a developed country. Good luck, teach well, nd avoid the minefields.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have been looking into teaching English in Thailand;

I am 18 and have just completed my TEFL course at EC.

English is my mother tongue.

I do not have a degree.

I know that this has probably been answered previously but it seems that the situation changes constantly.

So, I have been told that the best thing to do is go straight to Thailand and just look for a job when I get there. I am not looking to save money but just to earn enough to live decently (minimally) but to obviously enjoy the many attractions of Thailand.

I am only interested in teaching for about six months.

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me on what to do. Is it necessary to buy an illegal degree? I would rather not.

Thanks

You have gone twelve hours without a reply, so I will try to answer.

No, do not get a fake degree. Very illegal. Besides, your passport proves you're too young to have earned a degree.

If you just want to have a good time, come here for a vacation, not to teach. Teaching is anything but a vacation. Most 18 year olds who have only taken a TEFL course are not prepared for the rigors of TEFL. Countless thousands have done it anyway, but they often didn't teach well, or for long.

Thanks,

"Countless thousands have done it anyway, but they often didn't teach well, or for long."

To clarify does this mean that there is a market and that I would not be arriving in the far east without any means to survive?

I am not looking for a holiday and while I have little experience teaching, the little that I had went very well. But of course I dont want to be a "slave to the wage" in the far east either. I am only looking to earn enough to enjoy living there, I am not planning on living expensively; I am happy to rent a room somewhere and live cheaply but will need to save enough to pay back my return ticket. And of course since I will be in Thailand I would like to experience it.

I forgot to ask whether you have to work under contract and how long it should take to find work. Will I be able to work legally with only a TEFL and is it a big problem if I don't? I am planning on going for five months and would like to leave in the next few weeks. I understand I'm supposed to get a multiple entry, non-immigrant ED visa (for teachers?). Will I be able to get this with only a TEFL?

Basically what are my options?

Thanks again; if this came across confusing its only because I am confused about the whole process.

Hi All,

I am a newbie to Thailand. I have been here about 2.5 Months now. I am married to a Thai National.

I wish to get a job teaching Mathematics.

I have a 1 year visa to learn Thai.

My background:

B.S. Electrical Engineering Degree from U.O.P. in the U.S.

Took a M.S. E. Degree from S.J.S.U. (did not do the project write up--but finished all other classes) (i'm still kicking myself about this but at the time i was getting huge payraises every year!!)

In grad school I tutored mathematics for a living.

I taught for 9 months ,Honors Trig, and Geometry, in a private high school also in grad school

I created and taught a 32 hour class in VHDL programming while working at a private hardware company

I was a full time instructor (non math) for 6 yrs at a software company and did course development as well.

I taught 6 different classes at that time. All were from between 2-to-5 days in length and quite technical.

I have no teaching credentials of any kind.

So my question is what kind of Math teaching job can i get?

What salary range can I expect?

What are the best types of schools to work for in BKK?

How do I start to look for a job?

Once I get a job, then how do I improve my chances of getting into the top tiered schools with the highest salaries in the future?

:o

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Welcome, and thanks for starting out in the right thread here!

You would, I believe, need to have an O or B visa, not an ED visa. You can check in our special forum for Thai Visas for those details.

I'm American, but am confused. Do you have an MS, an actual parchment degree and transcript, or not quite?

Since you do not have a B.Ed. or its equivalent such as a PGCE, it is unlikely a true international school would even process your application. However, your skills as a math teacher are sorely needed in EP, bilingual, and lower tier international schools.

Your questions include some that are too broad. Please review this very long thread, and others in the teaching forum, for more information.

I am not in BKK, but real math teachers there usually earn over 50K, under 80K, if and when they're finally lucky enough to get to a place that appreciates them and doesn't treat them like dog poop.

" I'm American, but am confused. Do you have an MS, an actual parchment degree and transcript, or not quite? "

Hi PeaceBlondie and thanks for your quick response. I have a BS degree, but have NOT finished my MS i was 2 classes away--i needed to to a 3 unit project and then a 3 unit write up. I never got around to doing the write up although i had a working project. I was already working full time and it just did not see to be worth the effort. In hindsight,I really regret that I didn't make that effort now :o

"Since you do not have a B.Ed. or its equivalent such as a PGCE, it is unlikely a true international school would even process your application. However, your skills as a math teacher are sorely needed in EP, bilingual, and lower tier international schools."

Hi PeaceBlondie: what is EP? :o

Where can i find out which 2nd tier international scools in BKK are hiring?

Thanks!

I get my professional teaching credentials by heredity: my birth mother, and my daughter. :o

I am not in Bangkok, so I/ll let the others answer.

EP means English Program, where almost all the subjects are taught in English, usually by more-or-less native speakers of English. That surely includes math, the physical sciences, English, social science, etc. I met a soc. science teacher once who, after a year at one of the campuses of Sarasas in BKK, still could not make sense out of the 'curriculum' for economics for a prathom (elementary) school.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks for all the great information on this board. Its really helped me.

As for me, I am an American currently taking the TEFL course through Oxford Seminars. After Im done, I plan on getting a "Business English" follow-up to it (an additional 40 hrs). I am a graduate from a Cal State University and have a Bachelors degree is Economics.

I'm very serious about teaching. I've read terrible stories of teachers who don't care...etc...but I do care. I would really like to get established with a private institution (Ive read the pay is more) and possibly the Bangkok Unversity (although from the posts Ive read, it seems you need prior teaching experience, currently have none- will finish the TEFL course in about 3 weeks from now.

Any good insight to really solidify a good school would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Ap

Welcome to the forum. If you are taking an online course, like somebody was just saying over on TEFLWatch, it would be difficult for most online courses to provide you with job leads. Even some of us who took courses '

in-country' were not led by the hand.

There is now www.teflwatch.com and www.teflwatch.org - the first one has job listings, I believe. ajarn.com also has many entry level positions. If you check our huge Qualifications thread at the top of this sub-forum, you will probably see that a BA in economics (or a BBA) with no teaching experience probably would only get you a job teaching basic English in a rajabat (lower ranking uni). At any rate, with the current pandemonium here, it is possible you would not be legal even after one year in Thailand.

Welcome to the forum. If you are taking an online course, like somebody was just saying over on TEFLWatch, it would be difficult for most online courses to provide you with job leads. Even some of us who took courses '

in-country' were not led by the hand.

There is now www.teflwatch.com and www.teflwatch.org - the first one has job listings, I believe. ajarn.com also has many entry level positions. If you check our huge Qualifications thread at the top of this sub-forum, you will probably see that a BA in economics (or a BBA) with no teaching experience probably would only get you a job teaching basic English in a rajabat (lower ranking uni). At any rate, with the current pandemonium here, it is possible you would not be legal even after one year in Thailand.

Can you explain more please- "it is possible you would not be legal even after one year in thailand"

-Ap